Are White Southerners Oversensitive?

I guess you don't travel too much down in these parts then.

I was born and raised here. I've never lived outside of the South for any significant period of time.

Then the premise still holds then, you have nothing to compare it too. No baseline.

Racism is everywhere, but I find it less in the south actually.

I didn't say that I don't go outside of the South, only that I've never lived there for any significant amount of time.

Most of the racist white guys I know only act openly racist around other white guys. They'll casually refer to black people as "nigs" or "*******" and laugh at crude stereotypes and then go to class or work and act friendly toward black people the next day. They do the same thing with Hispanics and Jews in some cases. Just because they don't wear their racism on their sleeves doesn't mean that it isn't here. Plus, you're probably less likely to encounter it in major cities like Atlanta.

I was born and raised here. I've never lived outside of the South for any significant period of time.

Then the premise still holds then, you have nothing to compare it too. No baseline.

I didn't say that I don't go outside of the South, only that I've never lived there for any significant amount of time.

Most of the racist white guys I know only act openly racist around other white guys. They'll casually refer to black people as "nigs" or "*******" and laugh at crude stereotypes and then go to class or work and act friendly toward black people the next day. They do the same thing with Hispanics and Jews in some cases. Just because they don't wear their racism on their sleeves doesn't mean that it isn't here. Plus, you're probably less likely to encounter it in major cities like Atlanta.

Never said that it wasn't here. Just that it is more prevalent in the north nowadays.

I'm seen it stated in several thread that Blacks are oversensitive to race or criticism. Is the same true of White Southerners?

Lost the Civil War, were economically backward compared to the North for nearly a century. Instituted Jim Crow laws to make themselves feel superior again by bullying people lower on the totem pole than themselves. Had those laws pulled away from them in the mid-part of the 20th century. Saw and are still seeing a gradual dwindling of the power structure they had established. Get really up in arms about Yankees moving into their towns and buying land. Get really up in arms and sensitive when the official line of Southern oppression and victimhood due to losing the Civil War and slavery, and Jim Crow are ridiculed. As a defense, if anyone makes criticisms likes to call those critics racists or other types of ad hominem insults. Or they say that all those evil from the past are just "heritage."

Tell me, does anyone else see a slight parallel? A double standard?
And just so we're clear, I'm not saying that all Southerners are like this, or that all Southerners are racist. I would argue that the majority of White Southerners do carry some of these sentiments to a certain degree.

well, what do you think? I assume you've spoken to white southerners..?

This is a true story from my life.

A while back I went to Truck Driving School, and earned a CDL.

I then went to work for a national Carrier.

I underwent a 6 week training period where I had to ride with a trainer.

My first trainer was a black man. Very cool guy taught me a lot. I am still good friends with him.

Anyway. We traveled all over the US together in those 6 weeks. We talked about racism because we saw it first hand. Things like were at a restaurant and the Waitress is all nice and shiny to me, and barely will talk to him or even look at him.

The Strange thing, and he agreed with me, was that in the deep south of the US, is where we saw the least of it.

In the north east, and mid west is where we encountered it the most.

saw same myself, excellent post.

humm why do you suppose that is......thats not really a question for you, I am sure we both know why, but for the PC crew...

Never said that it wasn't here. Just that it is more prevalent in the north nowadays.

Frankly, I see no reason to believe that.

Ozmar, the southern white guys I know are not racists and never have been. Southern attitudes about race are totally different from northern ones. In a big northern city, poor blacks live in public housing apparently deliberately designed to be the Seventh Circle of Hell. But in the south, blacks live next door to whites, they are neighbors, and they are inextricably woven into the fabric of the community.

It may be different in a big southern city...I never lived in Atlanta or New Orleans, etc. But as you say, much of the south is rural or small towns. It is different, trying to whip people up to hate Miss Mable, the next door neighbor lady they've known all their lives who makes the best butterscotch cookies in town, yanno?

The south has its shame, for sure. Jim Crow and the KKK, for starters, but any northerner who thinks "his people" were less vicious is dishonest or simply does not know his history. Where do you think the only race riots ever to occur in the US took place?

ha, I should have read further on in the thread before asking....

that a huge part of it but theres another reason too...;)

One fallacy about the Civil war was that the Abolitionists were not Racist.

They were against slavery, but start talking to them about equal rights, or Blacks moving to the north, and they quickly became racists :)

Southerns have lived along side blacks longer. For all the evils of Slavery, It did mean that they got to know blacks better than most whites in America. As a result today they have a much more cordial Relationship among races than in many places in the US.

At least that is what I have seen in my travels around this country.

there is also a gentility the south you don't get north of mason dixon that goes hand in hand with that...

I'm seen it stated in several thread that Blacks are oversensitive to race or criticism. Is the same true of White Southerners?

Lost the Civil War, were economically backward compared to the North for nearly a century. Instituted Jim Crow laws to make themselves feel superior again by bullying people lower on the totem pole than themselves. Had those laws pulled away from them in the mid-part of the 20th century. Saw and are still seeing a gradual dwindling of the power structure they had established. Get really up in arms about Yankees moving into their towns and buying land. Get really up in arms and sensitive when the official line of Southern oppression and victimhood due to losing the Civil War and slavery, and Jim Crow are ridiculed. As a defense, if anyone makes criticisms likes to call those critics racists or other types of ad hominem insults. Or they say that all those evil from the past are just "heritage."

And just so we're clear, I'm not saying that all Southerners are like this, or that all Southerners are racist. I would argue that the majority of White Southerners do carry some of these sentiments to a certain degree.

This board is a microcosm. The very people who complain that they don't like being referred to as "Confederate Republicans" will refer to the president as a "man child", which, of course, is "code" for "boy".

And their rationale? They keep insisting the Republican Party is just like the Democratic Party. When it's pointed out that 90% of the Republican Party is white, they go ballistic.

Then they say that the Democratic Party is mostly white, except those whites are gays and atheist and feminists and scientists and all the whites not welcome in the Republican Party.

Finally, when all these things are pointed out, they attack. Call names. Make bizarre accusations. The current Republican Party is the "Party of the Unbalanced".

This board is a microcosm. The very people who complain that they don't like being referred to as "Confederate Republicans" will refer to the president as a "man child", which, of course, is "code" for "boy".

Wrong only in your chip on my shoulder mind is it code for Boy. It is simply a way to call him Immature. A child in an adults game who can not take criticism, and simply points fingers and cry's about being treated unfairly.

You twist everything to try and make it about Race Dean. Probably because for you, everything is about Race.

people called Clinton and Bush Man child as well. Yet somehow when you do it to Obama it's code for racism.

Gotta love how you think Bud.

Last edited:

Ozmar, the southern white guys I know are not racists and never have been. Southern attitudes about race are totally different from northern ones. In a big northern city, poor blacks live in public housing apparently deliberately designed to be the Seventh Circle of Hell. But in the south, blacks live next door to whites, they are neighbors, and they are inextricably woven into the fabric of the community.

It may be different in a big southern city...I never lived in Atlanta or New Orleans, etc. But as you say, much of the south is rural or small towns. It is different, trying to whip people up to hate Miss Mable, the next door neighbor lady they've known all their lives who makes the best butterscotch cookies in town, yanno?

The south has its shame, for sure. Jim Crow and the KKK, for starters, but any northerner who thinks "his people" were less vicious is dishonest or simply does not know his history. Where do you think the only race riots ever to occur in the US took place?

Are you suggesting that race riots only occurred in northern cities?:eusa_whistle:

Wilmington Insurrection of 1898 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess you're right. In this case the whites rioted against those uppity blacks...

well, what do you think? I assume you've spoken to white southerners..?

I'm sure I've spoken to more white southerners than you have ever spoken to blacks. Yet I'm sure you make more sweeping generalizations about blacks than I would ever make about white southerners. Nice screen name, btw. I believe at Stormfront a lot of the white supremacists use Latin names and old Norse names and Greek names... to prop up this mythological white supremacist heritage...

The south did lose about 80% of their best young men and their genetics in the civil war.
Evidently not:
"The South provides a disproportionate share of the nation’s troops. An analysis of Department of Defense state reveals that 35% of the nation’s active-duty military personnel come from 13 Southern states. Of the top 15 states where those serving in the military are born, the South accounts for seven."
southernstudies.org/2005/08/institute-report-southerners-most.html
The 13 Southern States...
South Carolina
North Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi
Tennessee
Louisiana
Texas
Virginia
Arkansas
Kentucky
and my beloved Missouri

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Kat

Are you suggesting that race riots only occurred in northern cities?:eusa_whistle:

I guess you're right. In this case the whites rioted against those uppity blacks...

1898....:lol::lol:

Such riots happened in the north too. After the busing decisions, especially. I know, because I was there.

Racial hatred is deep in some people but it is between strangers up north, and IMO, that makes it more dangerous.

Last edited:
Could it be because the blacks who stayed down south let themselves be pushovers, while the ones that went up north did so because they were tried of being shit on, and when shit on up north said "enough is enough" and turned violent?

Isn't it also interesting to note that it took a lot of black and white northerners coming down south and protesting segregation?

Could it be because the blacks who stayed down south let themselves be pushovers, while the ones that went up north did so because they were tried of being shit on, and when shit on up north said "enough is enough" and turned violent?

Isn't it also interesting to note that it took a lot of black and white northerners coming down south and protesting segregation?

Nope, from what I have seen in the south. It is simply because Both white and black have more respect for each other, and are in general more cordial in every aspect of their lives, then people up north.

• Thanks
Nope, from what I have seen in the south. It is simply because Both white and black have more respect for each other, and are in general more cordial in every aspect of their lives, then people up north.

Very true. In my neighborhood alone we are merely people. My neighbors on one side are Jews..actually moving back to Israel this month. On the other side of me is a black family. Great people. We don't spend our time with ''oh we are Jews...we are black....we are white''. Why? Because not everyone spends their time obsessing about race.

Holy fuck, you are an ignoramus.

What an intriguing rebuttal. :eusa_liar:

What an intriguing rebuttal. :eusa_liar:

Should I assume all Aussies are ignorant, racist asswipes merely because you are, Ozmar? Some "arguments" are self-defeating; this one of yours certainly is.

• Thanks

Forum List

Back