Are We Going to Give Up Our Investment in the International Space Station?

NASA gets an average of 9 billion a year budget. The plans have been made and we are working on implementing a deep space exploration project. Yet the thing that stands in the way is the ISS, it is too small and NASA wants a larger space station or a station on the Moon. NASA has plans for cargo ships to carry 20-30 ton payloads instead of the current 2-3 tons...
It is about to launch a 3 billion dollar Hubble type space telescope to replace the Hubble..

NASA has announced its next round of astronauts, eight people who may one day fly to Mars or an asteroid, as the agency begins to enter its next stage of manned missions.

NASA Selects Eight New Astronaut Candidates - US News

I also suggest a trip to the NASA web site to see what they are doing and you will find that they are making plans...

2013 Astronaut Class | NASA

I do...

Last edited:
We spend more on Pizza in this country than we do on the space program. The problem is one of national priorities, not just political agendas.

We spend 1 billion on pizza.
NASA's budget is 18.7 Billion.

Actually, we spend 32 billion each year on pizza:

Pizza Statistics | Statistic Brain

I did some research on the net using different engines and I get answers from 1 billion to 22billion a year for Americans. I'm thinking that 22 billion is about the right answer.
The 32 billion you listed is for worldwide.
Either way, you are right we spend more on pizza than NASA.

We spend 1 billion on pizza.
NASA's budget is 18.7 Billion.

I did some research on the net using different engines and I get answers from 1 billion to 22billion a year for Americans. I'm thinking that 22 billion is about the right answer.

Yes we certainly do, and our mid-sections are paying a price for it. I think we could do with less pizza and more space science. Wouldn't you agree?

Yes we certainly do, and our mid-sections are paying a price for it. I think we could do with less pizza and more space science. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm thinking that if we did Donations to NASA, they would get a heck of a lot more than 32Billion. The Government sure won't spend more, no matter which party is in power.
The priorities in Washington is really screwed up. :)

I'm thinking that if we did Donations to NASA, they would get a heck of a lot more than 32Billion. The Government sure won't spend more, no matter which party is in power.

I would agree.

But we still won't have a short- or long-term vision for space. Even if we have some nebulous objective like going back to the Moon or going to Mars, what's out goal for going there? Just a mission to say we did it? Permanent colonies? Mining? Tourism? Even if we turn to a Kickstarter campaign for space (and how low we will have fallen since Apollo if that is where we end up), without a real set of goals, what's the point?

We really need to have that national conversation and get Congress to go along with it, if for no other reason than to put jobs in their districts.

Forum List

Back