Are these sports?

what about pool and table tennis???

no and no 4 me.

Sitarro you caddied at the 86 Masters? WOW! I'm playing golf now over 25 years(5 handicap) and that 86 Masters was the greatest tournament I believe ever staged. JACKS COMEBACK! Dude if you could expound on who you caddied for and what exactly is the feeling strolling the religious like grounds of Augusta National. I've never been there and probably never will but they tell me that there are places in fron of the greens where it is so severe that you can't even see the back of the green.

DAMN i'm jealous of you!;)

I actually don't watch sport very much on tv, so I do not frequent this section of the board. But this topic intrest me.

golf - Yes, I believe golf is a sport, its a competetion takes great skill and focus.

bowling - Much the same as golf, however I have more respect for the sport of golf.

worlds strongest man - An elite sport, not too many people would envolve themselves in such a contest, still a sport. Just rather boring in my opinion.

poker - no not a sport, yes it takes skill, concentration, but not much athletic ability.

hunting/fishing - most certainly a sport, Ok I'll agree with some of the comments made about hunting in tree stands or sitting on the bank of a lake, however come with me this fall bow hunting and hike your ass up a steep mountain then track elk and put yourself within range without them seeing you, hearing you or smelling you - then say its not a sport. Then we will go fly fishing on the Snake River. :D

nascar or race car driving - I believe this does take a great amount of athletic ability and concentration, yes sport.

horse racing - race horses are some of the best athlets - sport.

rodeo - agree with alot of comments already made. Those guys are so tough they have muscle in their shit! I dare someone tell a rodeo cowboy that getting on top of a 2,000 pound raging bull is not a sport.

anything from the x games - not sure what all are on the x games, I think most of them are sports.

The funny thing is the definition of sport:

a source of diversion

at that limited scope, hell, anything but work is a diversion!

Sex is actually listed as an example of a sport!!!!!

golf: Sport
bowling: recreation
worlds strongest man: Sport
poker: Recreation
hunting/fishing: Recreation
nascar or race car driving: Sport
horse racing: Sport
rodeo: Entertainment
anything from the x games: Entertainment

I wasn't going to say anything but in college I rodeo'd a little bit. Team roped and roped calves but traveled with a bunch of bull riders and bareback bronc riders. There is nobody tougher in the world than a roughstock(bulls, saddle bronc, bareback) rider going. If you have the chance to ever see a rodeo program check out the height and weight of these guys, its usually around 5"5-5"8 and 130-160, the bulls are usually 1800-2400 lbs and intent on killing them. These guys don't have endorsement contracts for the most part and if they don't finish in the money they don't get squat, no safety net. Have an ingrown toe nail(Barry Bonds?), bruised ribs, broken arm? Tough shit get on or go hungry!

Anyway rodeo is America's original extreme sport and I say these are the toughest, most patriotic sonsofbitches in America today.

Your right OCA ,
I'll bet on a 5'6'' bronc rider over a 6'2'' LA gang member anyday in hand to hand combat . And that rodeo rider will give you the shirt off of his back if he thinks you need it . You will not find anybody in sport with biggert hearts .

Damn right! Around 4th of July is called cowboy Christmas out west, there are more rodeos at that time and more money available than any other time of the year, not unusual to go to 6,7 rodeos in the span of 3-4 days across 6 states. After each rodeo or in most cases each event because that time of the year you usually get there just in time for your event then you do your thing and then gather your shit and hit the road again, you'll hear guys yelling out i'm headed here and got room for a couple more or somebody just hit it big in the money and they'll spread it around to their traveling partners until their time comes. Also we all shared equipment, horses you name it. No finer people in sport if you ask me.

Originally posted by OCA

Anyway rodeo is America's original extreme sport and I say these are the toughest, most patriotic sonsofbitches in America today.
Amen to that...although I know it didn't start off as sport. Those guys are men, men, men.

Dude if you could expound on who you caddied for and what exactly is the feeling strolling the religious like grounds of Augusta National. I've never been there and probably never will but they tell me that there are places in fron of the greens where it is so severe that you can't even see the back of the green.

Screw the Masters! Every year, the masters comes and this town fills up with a bunch of old yuppies looking to save a few bucks by staying outside of Augusta. Businesses here love it, residents hate it.

Originally posted by NewGuy
golf-----------------------no. :eek:
bowling------------------on sundays
worlds strongest man-OF COURSE!
poker---------------------only at 2 AM
hunting/fishing----------no
nascar or race car driving-Again, only on sundays.....at 2 AM
horse racing--------------no
rodeo-----------------------only on sundays
anything from the x games---MAYBE.

As someone who has participated in many sports throughout my life, I can definitely tell you that golf is indeed a sport. It is, in fact, quite possibly the most humbling, and arguably the most difficult of them all.

Originally posted by Dan
Screw the Masters! Every year, the masters comes and this town fills up with a bunch of old yuppies looking to save a few bucks by staying outside of Augusta. Businesses here love it, residents hate it.

You know Dan ,
I live about 5 blocks from where the PGA Tour played the Shell Houston Open for over 10 years . Every year the whiners cried about the traffic , the outsiders , and anything else you could blame on change . Well those pussies got their wish , the tournament moved 30 miles away . The economic shot in the arm that the tournament brought each year is gone. That economic plus was seen around here all year. The golf course was always busy because golfers wanted to play where the pros play . Conventions , 200 person golf outings , celebrity tournaments brought a tremendous amount of income to the area all year , it is gone . Favorite restaurants that the whiners loved have disappeared , not enough business . But they got their wish , not as much traffic for one week out of the year . One thing that I have learned over the last 50 years , small minds tend to have the biggest mouths.
Oh by the way , that one tournament contributed over 4 million to local charities every year , that is typical of most of the PGA stops , the PGA contributes more to charity than any other sport and they don't blackmail the public into paying for giant playpens for their players that create huge traffic problems every game . They pay for themselves and still contribute more to charities.
What is really rediculous is that the traffic wasn't that bad , most of the fans were bussed in from parking areas 10 miles away . Restaurants and bars were a little harder to get into because they were full of customers , all that were contributing to our economy .

Fine and good this thread.

The "Sports" that yank me that are unqualified as sports:

Diving

Gymnastics

Synchronized swimming <gag>

I am sure there are more, add to the list.

In short, any sport that is judged for its champion cannot be a sport in the truest sense of the word.

Everytime you look around, the Olympics is experimenting with a new "sport".

Competition is what decides the best in any given field
Olympic boxing is much the same, decided by judges cards and we have seen throughout the years how damaging that can be.

We should have new classifications for sports:

Team sports would be a class.

Individual sports would be another.

Sports that are judged. (gymnastics, diving)

Sports that allow physical intervention. (boxing,

Sports that compete against something inanimante (Golf, track)

Sports that are games.

Sports that are entertainment.

Sporting events.

Sporting competition

It could be quite a list. Which would be the ultimate, No.1 sporting event or competition?
Rome had the gladiators and in this country we allowed things to digress to synchronized swimming?..<laffs>

I don't have anything against those other sports...well actually yes I do. None of those are sports. Golf is alright but only a hobby. The others I will not waste my time on. Lacrosse is the greatest sport ever. If you don't know what it is look it up, it's awsome!

Originally posted by Brenmc_lax
I don't have anything against those other sports...well actually yes I do. None of those are sports. Golf is alright but only a hobby. The others I will not waste my time on. Lacrosse is the greatest sport ever. If you don't know what it is look it up, it's awsome!

I would advise you not to be condescending, until you know with whom you are dealing. Many are Ivy League or similar. You are already on countdown.....

Originally posted by Brenmc_lax

Time is running out....tick, tick, tick

Forum List

Back