CDZ Are there any discussion sites that require three digit IQs?

Weak and biased moderation undermines any attempt to have a reasonable discussion. People are allowed to post lies and dodgy links without sanction and it just creates a mess.
Maybe the site should appoint some fact checkers to look into some of this. If stuff quoted as fact cant be verified it should be deleted. It still leaves people free to give their opinions.

The level of discourse on this site is plummeting. It is nearly impossible to raise a point or issue without it being subjected to inane attempts at juvenile put-downs.
You are stupid

Is there anything in particularly you want to talk about? You can always invite some folks to one of the lonelier corners of the forum (say, the structured discussion forum) and talk about it there. Odds are the people you're trying to avoid won't see it :p

(edit: I don't think it's really feasible for online sites to require IQ tests, so probably the answer to the question in the OP is no. On the other hand, I read this the other day, you could check out this subreddit: Change My View Does Not Allow Rudeness or Hostility - The Atlantic)

I was gonna make some juvenile, snarky comment but stopped myself just in time.

That doesn't happen everyday, so I'm proud.

I've been on boards/sites since 9/11, some great, some horrid. They all seem to have gone they way of the dust in the wind.
Some old threads from 2008, 2009 have been necroed and I've read some of them. Posters used to be more decorous. Sorry, I don't know how else to put it. They used better English and they were more careful stating their opinions and they didn't become so 14-ish with their insults. I can see that this board has degraded, but it's interesting that you see that everywhere.
All the more reason for what I do. I'm reinvigorated.

I didn't word that well... I don't see this everywhere, though it's common enough. By dust in the wind I meant they are gone.

I personally delight in a well crafted and zinged insult.

The level of discourse on this site is plummeting. It is nearly impossible to raise a point or issue without it being subjected to inane attempts at juvenile put-downs.

You raise an interesting point. My son asked me the other day what this forum was like. I told him the majority of OPs are trolls. Trolls on the left and trolls on the right. I could name names.

There's something magical about people who name their accounts stuff like "BuckToothMoron" complaining about trolls. This probably sounds snarkier than I intend (I have no opinion of your posting), i'm just easily entertained. Which, now that I think about it, may explain why I'm here :p

And why does some of it get so gratuitously personal?

We're only pixels on a screen.
I do wish you'd quit with that "we're only pixels on a screen" thing. We are communicating. That means we are sharing our REAL ideas. At least some of us are. Maybe you're not?

We are communicating, but not on a personal level. The fact that none of us by and large has a personal connection with other posters (I don’t know a single person on this forum personally to the best of my knowledge) alters the discourse. It’s undeniably.

Weak and biased moderation undermines any attempt to have a reasonable discussion. People are allowed to post lies and dodgy links without sanction and it just creates a mess.
Maybe the site should appoint some fact checkers to look into some of this. If stuff quoted as fact cant be verified it should be deleted. It still leaves people free to give their opinions.

I'd love to see that in at least one sub forum. And if you routinely try to pass unproven garbage or just outright lies off as facts, you are no longer allowed in that sub forum.

There's something magical about people who name their accounts stuff like "BuckToothMoron" complaining about trolls. This probably sounds snarkier than I intend (I have no opinion of your posting), i'm just easily entertained. Which, now that I think about it, may explain why I'm here :p

And there we have it. The first personal attack, or did I miss another. Interesting that you find my screen name inherently trollish. BTW- I wasn’t complaint about trolls, I was describing my perceived atmosphere of this forum.

Sorry, I don't mean it to be an insult. I was hoping the disclaimer would convey that information. Maybe it's just the context, but yeah the name does strike me as sort of inherently unconducive to discussion. But I realize that's too prejudicial, which is why I included the disclaimer. Anyway, I probably should have just typed that post out and deleted it, but I'm feeling a little silly this morning I guess. Sorry to aggravate you.

Sorry, I don't mean it to be an insult. I was hoping the disclaimer would convey that information. Maybe it's just the context, but yeah the name does strike me as sort of inherently unconducive to discussion. But I realize that's too prejudicial, which is why I included the disclaimer. Anyway, I probably should have just typed that post out and deleted it, but I'm feeling a little silly this morning I guess. Sorry to aggravate you.

I’m not aggravated, this is entertainment for me, and if it weren’t I would be wasting my time. If you didn’t mean it as an attack, then you’re right, you should have deleted it.

I do wish you'd quit with that "we're only pixels on a screen" thing. We are communicating. That means we are sharing our REAL ideas. At least some of us are. Maybe you're not?

Does it matter to you?

Go back to base and tell them who I am flirting with.

From my relatively short time on this board I can tell you that my opinion is that even in this sub forum when someone posts something that is absolute bullshit, it is very rare when someone who agrees with that person politically says "come on that's some bullshit" and just being told "stop posting bullshit" by people who don't share your politics isn't going to stop the bullshit from being posted.

But, it's quite obvious that that isn't likely to happen because emotion has replaced reason and that is why you see things like "Trump is running a concentration camp on the southern border" and even though it is proven fact that every other President has housed illegal aliens in the exact same manner as Trump has , not one person who just hates Trump will tell the person who posted something so ridiculous to stop posting such ridiculous things.

And on goes the merry go round. I actually asked one poster on the left who I thought was a reasonable poster based on his own posts why he never said anything to crazy liberals when they post crazy stuff and his quite obvious lie of a response was " I don't ever notice it" Pretty strange given the amount of crazy stuff he notices and points out when crazies on the right post it. Who only notices when ONE side does something crazy?

So , after about a month here I have concluded that there is very little in the way of serious conversation to be found here.

Precious few people in this forum express ideas that could be called real at all.

The vast majority are just parroting the party line with no self awareness whatsoever.

Yet some of use are perceptive enough to take note of the poster's established pattern of political insight rather than looking no deeper than their user name.

You raise an interesting point. My son asked me the other day what this forum was like. I told him the majority of OPs are trolls. Trolls on the left and trolls on the right. I could name names.

Yep.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all the extreme hacks playing the game of cowboys and Indians who drag down this site.

They are incapable of discussing an issue as an issue without deciding first whether it conforms to the attitude of their side.

Forum List

Back