Are tariffs to blame?

Tariffs are very bad for the markets. We want our goods and raw materials to be as cheap as possible, not more expensive, cheap steel from china, cheap lower quality goods like furniture Air Conditioners, auto parts, etc etc overall benefit the economy more than they hurt it.

With regards to the economy, there's always a give and take of course some people/jobs will be hurt by globalization, but more will be helped. Pretty much if you are a skilled and educated worker you are better off, if you are a very low skilled worker you are worse off because they will find some illiterate moron in a 3rd world country to do your job for $1/hour. Get jobs skills and you will be fine.

If Trump ramps up his tariffs again, causing China to escalate it would be very bad for the markets and the economy. Powell's aggressive FED is not helping either Yellen was much better at "dovish" hikes and using dovish language to keep markets calm. Trump screwed up big time when he got rid of Yellen.
/——-/ We can always turn to you for sound economic and trade advice. Bwhahahaha Bwhahahaha

Tariffs are very bad for the markets. We want our goods and raw materials to be as cheap as possible, not more expensive, cheap steel from china, cheap lower quality goods like furniture Air Conditioners, auto parts, etc etc overall benefit the economy more than they hurt it.

With regards to the economy, there's always a give and take of course some people/jobs will be hurt by globalization, but more will be helped. Pretty much if you are a skilled and educated worker you are better off, if you are a very low skilled worker you are worse off because they will find some illiterate moron in a 3rd world country to do your job for $1/hour. Get jobs skills and you will be fine.

If Trump ramps up his tariffs again, causing China to escalate it would be very bad for the markets and the economy. Powell's aggressive FED is not helping either Yellen was much better at "dovish" hikes and using dovish language to keep markets calm. Trump screwed up big time when he got rid of Yellen.

Fuck you and globalization. I hope you're not in America.
Spoken like a true uneducated unskilled fool. When you have the same job skills as an illiterate laborer in the slums of Bangladesh you are going to have employment problems. Stop being lazy and get some real job skills.

I got job skills wtf.. I can't say that because USMB rules..that's bullshit.

Bitch I got hella job skills. Know several different trades, how to develop property. How to rent property.

I can drive equipment, play the banjo..it don't matter to me.

People in America are not helped by globalization, go fuck yourself you leftist turd. People in America do not benefit from globalization.

You may not realize the amount of people I've seen hurt due to NAFTA, but it's in the hundreds, and that shit pisses me off.

Yeah, I still made it and all, but damn, a lot of decent people did not, and that's fucked up. :mad:

I'm not very appreciative of seeing my neighbors and friends being hurt by globalization, so you can go fuck yourself with a cactus, k?

Here's to ya, brother Clark. ;)

Wrong the trade war is all about Intellectual property theft. period dot

That banker did not mention this does heavily imply that he is all hat and no catle.

Spoken like a true uneducated unskilled fool. When you have the same job skills as an illiterate laborer in the slums of Bangladesh you are going to have employment problems. Stop being lazy and get some real job skills.

Bitch I got hella job skills. Know several different trades, how to develop property. How to rent property.

People in America are not helped by globalization, go fuck yourself you leftist turd. People in America do not benefit from globalization.

You may not realize the amount of people I've seen hurt due to NAFTA, but it's in the hundreds, and that shit pisses me off.

Yeah, I still made it and all, but damn, a lot of decent people did not, and that's fucked up. :mad:

I'm not very appreciative of seeing my neighbors and friends being hurt by globalization, so you can go fuck yourself with a cactus, k?

That banker did not mention this does heavily imply that he is all hat and no catle.
Tariffs on Europe, Canada, and Mexico are about intellectual property theft? Tariffs on steel are about intellectual property theft? Who knew?

Swing and miss...

Tariffs on Europe, Canada, and Mexico are about intellectual property theft? Tariffs on steel are about intellectual property theft? Who knew?

Swing and miss...

Your batting avg is .000 thus far. Care to improve it?

Even JoeB131 bats .003 ..You kinda suck, bigly.

Tariffs are very bad for the markets...
That's usually what we hear from folks who don't have anything to do w/ markets. For the rest of us, here's the timeline on the tariffs:
Timeline-Tariff.jpg

--and here's the tariffs superimposed on the major indexes:
tradewarstocks.png

---where we see that stock prices soared while the tariffs were being levied and didn't begin falling until well after the tariff war stopped.

Those are the facts. Whether one had anything to do w/ another is a matter of opinion imho.

That's usually what we hear from folks who don't have anything to do w/ markets. For the rest of us, here's the timeline on the tariffs:
Timeline-Tariff.jpg

tradewarstocks.png

---where we see that stock prices soared while the tariffs were being levied and didn't begin falling until well after the tariff war stopped.

But that refutes the D party line. Therefore as any snowflake can tell you cannot be right.

Those are the facts. Whether one had anything to do w/ another is a matter of opinion imho.

Who cares if stocks fall because they have to hire more US citizens or pay tariff. Workers are still getting hired!!!

Timeline-Tariff.jpg

tradewarstocks.png

WAIT you think the tariff war is over?? It's not over yet by any means, Trump has delayed increasing them again by 90 days, but they could still go up drastically. To say the tariff war has stopped is just false.

So you don't think the tariffs are scaring markets? They definitely are and people are saying as such.

The reason stocks are dropping now are numerous, more than just tariffs, but to say that tariffs aren't hurting the market is just plain wrong.

Tariffs are hurting company earnings, and they could still possibly go up further causing more damage and uncertainty, therefore they are scaring markets.

You got to understand, markets have momentum and multiple factors influence them. Just because the markets don't instantly drop when Trump proposes a trade war (when the markets have a lot of momentum to the upside) doesn't mean that tariffs aren't hurting them now. It takes time for markets to price in external factors, as the impact of these factors develop over time.

Last edited:
...WAIT you think the tariff war is over?? It's not over yet by any means, Trump has... ...you don't think the tariffs are scaring markets? They definitely are and... ...The reason stocks are dropping now... ...You got to understand, markets have...
tx fer the info, it kind of reminds me of---
plvwmrkt.jpg

--but while I'm no expert on people somehow I get the impression that (1) you know a lot about stock price trends and (2) you're upset. This doesn't make sense because if you knew what was going on you'd have just made a fortune shorting your brains out but if so then you wouldn't be upset you'd be very pleased but---

Can u see how we're not really connecting here?

the huge problem for the US is that we have been losing the trade wars since the late 50 because we don't use the ammo available to us.

Just trying to understand what is happening.
A few things:

1. Yes, uncertainty caused by the tariff and trade situation. You'll notice the other day the Dow was up 600 when the trade talks looked good. Then back down when that Chinese CFO was arrested.

2. The Fed has to signal it's going to at least stretch out, if not stop, this regular increase of interest rates.

3. Real estate is cooling off significantly on the coasts and other major areas. That would normally be a concern anyway, but I think it might be more concerning now given the 2008 meltdown. People might be a little more sensitive than usual to that.

The two things the industry is looking at now are tariffs and interest rates. If those work out well, and soon, we could see a turnaround. The real estate picture is still concerning, though.
For the last year or so I have been heavily invol ed in the housing market here in California, things starting to look like 2018...many developers are halting their future projects. From my experience the Tsunami is building.
Tariffs and the trade war will sink the ship for sure.

A few things:

1. Yes, uncertainty caused by the tariff and trade situation. You'll notice the other day the Dow was up 600 when the trade talks looked good. Then back down when that Chinese CFO was arrested.

2. The Fed has to signal it's going to at least stretch out, if not stop, this regular increase of interest rates.

3. Real estate is cooling off significantly on the coasts and other major areas. That would normally be a concern anyway, but I think it might be more concerning now given the 2008 meltdown. People might be a little more sensitive than usual to that.

The two things the industry is looking at now are tariffs and interest rates. If those work out well, and soon, we could see a turnaround. The real estate picture is still concerning, though.
For the last year or so I have been heavily invol ed in the housing market here in California, things starting to look like 2018...many developers are halting their future projects. From my experience the Tsunami is building.
They will certainly be blamed but that is not the same as a reasoned argument. CA has one third of the nation's poor, the corporate tax base is leaving for lower tax states, under and plain old non-funded liabilities are creating a reverse Grapes of Wrath exodus from the state and insurance settlements that finance the exodus. CA is rapidly becoming the LA of the left coast as the value of land in CA sinks.

A few things:

They will certainly be blamed but that is not the same as a reasoned argument. CA has one third of the nation's poor, the corporate tax base is leaving for lower tax states, under and plain old non-funded liabilities are creating a reverse Grapes of Wrath exodus from the state and insurance settlements that finance the exodus. CA is rapidly becoming the LA of the left coast as the value of land in CA sinks.
I dont agree, we are landlords as well and there are plenty of highly paying jobs. The limit on deductions and the interest rate are the culprits...the other factor many millennials aren't as crazy about buying homes, they rather rent. I see this a lot during my dealings with new tenants, who can easily afford multi million dollar mortgages.
California is the driving force of the US, if California slows down the country follows.

Forum List

Back