Are seniors being over medicated?

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Strong, antipsychotic drugs are being prescribed more often to senior citizens in U.S. nursing homes, setting off a debate about whether it's the right treatment for the elderly suffering from dementia.

Daniel Levinson, inspector general for the Department of Health and Human Services, believes this increase - detailed in a recent study by his office - is a cause for alarm. "The report found that too often, elderly residents are prescribed antipsychotic drugs in ways that violate government standards for unnecessary drug use," he wrote in a commentary for CNN.com.

Psychiatrist Daniel Carlat disagrees, saying the study Levinson cites is a "blizzard of statistics" that doesn't tell the entire story. "When these drugs are successful, they soothe the inner turmoil that makes life intolerable for these patients, improving their quality of life dramatically," Carlat wrote in his commentary for CNN.com.

Are senior citizens being overmedicated? – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

The increase could also do with the fact baby boomer are developing dementia now. These people are healthier physically then he generation before, but still face the same behavior problems.
We just got a new lady who is about 5'9" and in very good shape besides have Alzheimers. Second night she was there the woman high kicked me, and slapped me at the same time. We do stuff on her time now. Lol

The increase could also do with the fact baby boomer are developing dementia now. These people are healthier physically then he generation before, but still face the same behavior problems.
We just got a new lady who is about 5'9" and in very good shape besides have Alzheimers. Second night she was there the woman high kicked me, and slapped me at the same time. We do stuff on her time now. Lol

Ar you saying that all elderly people get Alzheimers?

There is one of two reasons for the meds...

reason one...to keep them voting for Republicans even though they are getting screwed by them.

OR

reason two...to keep them from going to DC and killing the Republicans that are trying to tax their pensions.

We need government to take charge.... like in England, cuz it doesn't happen there! At least not recently.... not since May 2011.

The latest report by the Care Quality Commission, as the Mail revealed yesterday, paints a horrifying picture.

Read more: Neglect of the elderly and NHS reform | Mail Online
Paul Ryan must be getting clues on seniors from the UK.

Republicans will say it's their fault for getting old. Republicans just can't conceive that something happens outside of human control. It's why they debate helping victims of natural disaster and feel the people of Iraq are "ungrateful" or that gays caused Katrina.

No, but most people who have behavior problems have dementia that are elderly.
I agree with Chris.;) I take of the elderly for a living.

Uncle Ferd thinks dats why Granny been goin' goofy on us - cause dem doctors got her on too much medicine...
:confused:
Warning over combining common medicines for elderly
23 June 2011 - Taking multiple common drugs has been linked to brain decline and death
Combinations of commonly used drugs - for conditions such as heart disease, depression and allergies - have been linked to a greater risk of death and declining brain function by scientists. They said half of people over 65 were prescribed these drugs. The effect was greatest in patients taking multiple courses of medication, according to the study in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. Experts said patients must not panic or stop taking their medicines.

The researchers were investigating medicines which affect a chemical in the brain - acetylcholine. The neurotransmitter is vital for passing messages from nerve cell to nerve cell, but many common drugs interfere with it as a side effect. Eighty drugs were rated for their "anticholinergic" activity: they were given a score of one for a mild effect, two for moderate and three for severe. Some were given by prescription only, while others were available over the counter. A combined score was calculated in 13,000 patients aged 65 or over, by adding together the scores for all the medicines they were taking. A patient taking one severe drug and two mild ones would have an overall score of five.

Deadly consequences

Between 1991 and 1993, 20% of patients with a score of four or more died. Of those taking no anticholinergic drugs only 7% died. Patients with a score of five or more showed a 4% drop in ratings of brain function. Other factors, such as increased mortality from underlying diseases, were removed from the analysis. However, this study cannot say that the drugs caused death or reduced brain function, merely that there was an association. Dr Chris Fox, who led the research at the University of East Anglia, said: "Clinicians should conduct regular reviews of the medication taken by their older patients, both prescribed and over the counter, and wherever possible avoid prescribing multiple drugs with anticholinergic effects.

Dr Clare Gerada, chairman of the Royal College of GPs, said the findings of the study were important. She told patients: "The first thing is not to worry too much, the second thing is to discuss it with your doctor or the pharmacist, and the third thing is do not stop your medicines without taking advice first." She said doctors reviewed medication every 15 months and were aware of the risks of combining different drugs. Dr Fox said he wanted to conduct further research to investigate how anticholinergic drugs might increase mortality. A more modern study is also thought to be desirable. Practices and drugs have changed since the data was collected two decades ago. Ian Maidment, an NHS pharmacist in Kent and Medway, believes the situation may now be even worse. He said the use of anticholinergic drugs had "probably increased as more things are being treated and more drugs are being used."

Brain decline

I guess you already know you should not be talking about your patients on a message board. Right? HIPPA

No, but most people who have behavior problems have dementia that are elderly.
I agree with Chris.;) I take of the elderly for a living.

who

i have and still am resisting this route...at one time i really considered it...but then said...wth....at least when she is pissed off and angry ....i know she is till there....plus its a lot harder in nc to drug the old peeps but i am afraid once you start that road .....there is no stopping....i will put it off till she is too hard to handle....so far her most physical attacks are directed towards me...as long as i avoid her fingernails i am good to go....i mean face it..she is 81....but damn she kicks like a mule....she has tossed things...(shoes) at aides and threatened to hit or kick their ass.....but so far has not.

i simply dread what is to come....when her delusions become her reality....it has began to happen more and more....right now ...her shoe is torn apart and no one can get her to wear her other shoes....she is walking 6 miles a day...which is a good thing....i really dread when she can no longer walk ....maybe that wont happen....maybe this horror will stop and just go away.....some days ...maybes and false hopes are all that gets me thru

i have and still am resisting this route...at one time i really considered it...but then said...wth....at least when she is pissed off and angry ....i know she is till there....plus its a lot harder in nc to drug the old peeps but i am afraid once you start that road .....there is no stopping....i will put it off till she is too hard to handle....so far her most physical attacks are directed towards me...as long as i avoid her fingernails i am good to go....i mean face it..she is 81....but damn she kicks like a mule....she has tossed things...(shoes) at aides and threatened to hit or kick their ass.....but so far has not.

i simply dread what is to come....when her delusions become her reality....it has began to happen more and more....right now ...her shoe is torn apart and no one can get her to wear her other shoes....she is walking 6 miles a day...which is a good thing....i really dread when she can no longer walk ....maybe that wont happen....maybe this horror will stop and just go away.....some days ...maybes and false hopes are all that gets me thru

Oh strollingbones, it sounds like you are facing difficult times, I'm so sorry.
I know that some of the elderly do probably need to be in a nursing home, but I know of quite a few that do not. But I think their children just don't want to be bothered with them anymore.
I know of one 'friend'...she does not work at all....does nothing all day, and she is my age (49) and she recently put her Mother in a nursing home.
I was shocked! Of course it's none of my business and I wouldn't say much to her about it, but her Mother, I knew her too, she did not appear to be fighting and scratching, I honestly could not understand why she wanted to put her in a home.
This 'friend' had plenty of room at her home.
I always said, there would be no way in hell I could ever put my Mother in a nursing home. Come hell or high water, I would do all I could, to try and take care of my Mother at home. But, it never got to that point for me, so I can't say I know how others feel, who have to go that route.
My Mother passed away at age 66, and I did take care of her for 2 weeks while she was home under Hospice.
I know it's a hard decision for anyone, having to think about putting a loved one in a nursing home, and some nursing homes are not the greatest either! I have another friend who works as a CNA in a local nursing home, and she tells me stuff, and some elderly are over medicated.
But kudos to those that take care of their Mothers or Fathers as long as they can.
After all, it was they who took care of us for a good many years, they brought us into the world.

i never wanted to put my mother in assisted living...she simply refused all help and refused to let anyone live with her and she refused to move in with me.....she was destroying her kidneys with otc meds...it was move her into a facility or watch her die ...when i picked her up and moved her she barely knew what was going on...she has improved greatly....she is now taking meds she needs and not taking otc drugs all day....i assure you this was not my first choice but she made it my only choice.

i never wanted to put my mother in assisted living...she simply refused all help and refused to let anyone live with her and she refused to move in with me.....she was destroying her kidneys with otc meds...it was move her into a facility or watch her die ...when i picked her up and moved her she barely knew what was going on...she has improved greatly....she is now taking meds she needs and not taking otc drugs all day....i assure you this was not my first choice but she made it my only choice.

I understand and like I mentioned before, I'm sorry you are going thru difficult times.
I know it has to be hard on you....I wish all the best for you and your Mother.

Forum List

Back