Are seniors being over medicated?

The increase could also do with the fact baby boomer are developing dementia now. These people are healthier physically then he generation before, but still face the same behavior problems.
We just got a new lady who is about 5'9" and in very good shape besides have Alzheimers. Second night she was there the woman high kicked me, and slapped me at the same time. We do stuff on her time now. Lol

Ar you saying that all elderly people get Alzheimers?

Nope, just more of them because they are living longer and other things aren't killing them first.

The increase could also do with the fact baby boomer are developing dementia now. These people are healthier physically then he generation before, but still face the same behavior problems.
We just got a new lady who is about 5'9" and in very good shape besides have Alzheimers. Second night she was there the woman high kicked me, and slapped me at the same time. We do stuff on her time now. Lol

I'd like to shake her hand! One of the great things about getting old is that finally you can really act the way you feel!

Nope, just more of them because they are living longer and other things aren't killing them first.

you mean alzheimer's patients are living longer?

Are they really? Do you have any stats for that? I can see how they might...the physical issues would remain, but perhaps they're less likely to starve to death or burn themselves up than they used to be, due to earlier intervention and care.

Uncle Ferd thinks dats why Granny been goin' goofy on us - cause dem doctors got her on too much medicine...
:confused:
Warning over combining common medicines for elderly
23 June 2011 - Taking multiple common drugs has been linked to brain decline and death
Combinations of commonly used drugs - for conditions such as heart disease, depression and allergies - have been linked to a greater risk of death and declining brain function by scientists. They said half of people over 65 were prescribed these drugs. The effect was greatest in patients taking multiple courses of medication, according to the study in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. Experts said patients must not panic or stop taking their medicines.

The researchers were investigating medicines which affect a chemical in the brain - acetylcholine. The neurotransmitter is vital for passing messages from nerve cell to nerve cell, but many common drugs interfere with it as a side effect. Eighty drugs were rated for their "anticholinergic" activity: they were given a score of one for a mild effect, two for moderate and three for severe. Some were given by prescription only, while others were available over the counter. A combined score was calculated in 13,000 patients aged 65 or over, by adding together the scores for all the medicines they were taking. A patient taking one severe drug and two mild ones would have an overall score of five.

Deadly consequences

Between 1991 and 1993, 20% of patients with a score of four or more died. Of those taking no anticholinergic drugs only 7% died. Patients with a score of five or more showed a 4% drop in ratings of brain function. Other factors, such as increased mortality from underlying diseases, were removed from the analysis. However, this study cannot say that the drugs caused death or reduced brain function, merely that there was an association. Dr Chris Fox, who led the research at the University of East Anglia, said: "Clinicians should conduct regular reviews of the medication taken by their older patients, both prescribed and over the counter, and wherever possible avoid prescribing multiple drugs with anticholinergic effects.

Dr Clare Gerada, chairman of the Royal College of GPs, said the findings of the study were important. She told patients: "The first thing is not to worry too much, the second thing is to discuss it with your doctor or the pharmacist, and the third thing is do not stop your medicines without taking advice first." She said doctors reviewed medication every 15 months and were aware of the risks of combining different drugs. Dr Fox said he wanted to conduct further research to investigate how anticholinergic drugs might increase mortality. A more modern study is also thought to be desirable. Practices and drugs have changed since the data was collected two decades ago. Ian Maidment, an NHS pharmacist in Kent and Medway, believes the situation may now be even worse. He said the use of anticholinergic drugs had "probably increased as more things are being treated and more drugs are being used."

Brain decline

the most prevelant Q , when finding seniors incapacitated these days, is if they have had a recent change in meds

this is due to multiple ailments, multiple doctors, and a general lack of interchange bettween them all

and if you're a seior in America, and NOT on a 'script of some sort, then you are a minority

Seems to me the whole damned US population is being over-proscribed and overly medicated.

I do not doubt that in many nursing homes clients are medicated as much for purposes of managment and control as for purposes of mental and physical health.

The change in law has made prescription drugs the new 'toy' Ad in America. When they took cigarettes ads off the air something had to fill its place. We live in a brave new world of medical solutions for all of life's complexity and the solution comes in a small pill. If poor there's still the corner pusher. My mom took nothing until near her eighties as the docs scare the old, and death is close. Now she has to carry a list of meds.

"I have a better and even less expensive solution: quit writing prescriptions for statins altogether. There is no real proof that they work for anyone except males under the age of 65 who have already had heart problems. And even then, they work minimally. So if you don’t fall into that category why spend even 75 cents per day for a drug that will do you no good and possibly great harm? Discuss it with your physician." The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Drug ads on TV

"Pharmaceutical company spending on marketing far exceeds that spent on research.[2][3] In Canada, $1.7 billion was spent in 2004 to market drugs to physicians; in the United States, $21 billion was spent in 2002.[4] In 2005 money spent on pharmaceutical marketing in the US was estimated at $29.9 billion with one estimate as high as $57 billion.[3] When the US number are broken down 56% was free samples, 25% was detailing of physicians, 12.5% was direct to consumer advertising, 4% on hospital detailing, and 2% on journal ads.[4]" Pharmaceutical marketing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Background on Drug Advertising

Seems to me the whole damned US population is being over-proscribed and overly medicated.

For over a decade now environmental toxicologists have been doing chemical analyses on the water of lakes, streams and acquifers that are the sources of public drinking water, especially the waters that are downstream from wastewater treatment facilities. The results have been alarming.

The tests have consistently found measurable levels of prescription drugs, including arthritis drugs, contraceptives, psychostimulants, tranquilizers and antidepressants like Prozac, as well as cosmetics and synthetic food additives like dyes and preservatives that are excreted down the drain through the pill-popping publc’s kidneys.

We’re All On Prozac Now

I do not doubt that in many nursing homes clients are medicated as much for purposes of managment and control as for purposes of mental and physical health.

Agreed on all counts.

And thank you for not making some snotty political crack. For some people it seems every topic has to be about how it's all the fault of "the other side" and they are stupid and evil and blah blah blah :rolleyes:

For over a decade now environmental toxicologists have been doing chemical analyses on the water of lakes, streams and acquifers that are the sources of public drinking water, especially the waters that are downstream from wastewater treatment facilities. The results have been alarming.

The tests have consistently found measurable levels of prescription drugs, including arthritis drugs, contraceptives, psychostimulants, tranquilizers and antidepressants like Prozac, as well as cosmetics and synthetic food additives like dyes and preservatives that are excreted down the drain through the pill-popping publc’s kidneys.
We’re All On Prozac Now
I notice the claims made on that dramatic site aren't backed up with any actual studies....and frankly near as I can tell, that is the norm for that site, which doesn't lend credibility either ie lots of dramatic claims and opinions and sensationalism etc, little in the way of hard cold facts. Which is OK, as long as one takes it for that (ie opinion pieces etc).

Well the right wingers fer sure. ;)
right wingerism is an early sign of altzheimers.

I guess you already know you should not be talking about your patients on a message board. Right? HIPPA

First off it is HIPAA, second off learn the law moron.

You're right in that such vague references online aren't about to get you into trouble via HIPAA. But "lol-ing" about doing "stuff on her time" or about her situation in general doesn't exactly give the impression of one who should be in such a position, frankly.

I guess you already know you should not be talking about your patients on a message board. Right? HIPPA

Can you identify the patient based on the information provided?

Maybe you should read what HIPAA actually says as opposed to taking cheap shots.

By your standards, no one could write a medical case report. That is not the case.

You're right in that such vague references online aren't about to get you into trouble via HIPAA. But "lol-ing" about doing "stuff on her time" or about her situation in general doesn't exactly give the impression of one who should be in such a position, frankly.

It just smacks of unprofessionalism.

the people I work with laugh at certain situations all the time. If we didn't we would go nuts. I have taken care of people with dementia for a few years now, and have seen many die. Please dont lecture me on what position I should hold. Willow took a cheap shot, and so did you. I care a lot about those people, so don't be a stupid fucking asshole. I would love to see you and Wilow do my job.
When you wrap up someone for the funeral home on more than one occasion, people who have taken care of for over a year, you can make stupid comments like the one yyou just did.

Last edited:

Because I lol'd about saying I would do stuff on her time? God, you need a life and a clue. You and dumbass need to remove the stick from you asses.

Because I lol'd about saying I would do stuff on her time? God, you need a life and a clue. You and dumbass need to remove the stick from you asses.

pathetic. unprofessional.

Forum List

Back