Are people basically good?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Votto, Aug 14, 2018.

?

Are people basically good?

1. yes

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. I'm too incapable of rational thought to give a yes or no.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,236
    No. You are trying to troll me, but I always beat you to the punch and leave you wanting.

2. drifter

drifter Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,222
    I think people are basically good. I think in terms of goodhearted, loving, compassionate and wanting to help others in need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Taz

Taz Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,339
    :iyfyus.jpg:

4. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +44,893

I can't buy this line of thought. "What Hitler (or anybody) thought" he was doing is off the point, nor can we speak for what he "thought" anyway.

When I was a real tiny child one of my children's books claimed -- and this could have been and probably was entirely fabricated but it doesn't matter --- that in Indian spirituality when one dies the question put before the dead at the metaphorical pearly gates would be: "how many people on earth were made happier because you were born?"

I loved the way that was put. It resonated and made perfect sense and I've held onto the idea ever since. I doubt Hitler's victims would have given him much to put in that particular bank, but clearly deducing from his actions Hitler must NOT have thought "people are basically good". And he demonstrated where that POV leads.

All these side trips to "God" or in this case "Jesus" strike me as wholly unnecessary and irrelevant. It's all about karma. You want good things in, send good things out. No need to make it any more complex than that.