Are Blacks Americans too?

Are you truly saying you do not understand the reason for the 3/5ths person provision in the constitution for the votes of slaves, considering that to form the union slave states had to be included?

The reason to keep blacks in the south ignorant, as you mentioned, played right into the reason for counting slaves (not black people) as 3/5th of a citizen. A slave who was a full voting citizen would've given the south a numerical advantage in elections, and all while the votes of those slaves would've been suspect as being subjected to coercion.

Wait? Are you saying that slaves got to vote? That 3/5th of the slaves got to vote? Let me clarify here before I roll on the ground laughing.

No, I'm saying they were counted for purposes of representation in congress/congressional districts. But it was actually designed to reduce the power of the slave-owning states in the U.S. Congress.
I certainly could've been more clear.

Then why did you not say it THIS way?

Are you truly saying you do not understand the reason for the 3/5ths person provision in the constitution for the REPRESENTATION of slaves, considering that to form the union slave states had to be included?

The reason to keep blacks in the south ignorant, as you mentioned, played right into the reason for counting slaves (not black people) as 3/5th of a citizen. A slave who was a full REPRESENTED citizen would've given the south a numerical advantage in elections, and all while the REPRESENTATION of those slaves would've been suspect as being subjected to coercion

And let me reemphasize part of your last sentence:

and all while the votes of those slaves would've been suspect as being subjected to coercion

Explain to me, if you meant "representation" instead of actually votes by slaves....how is representation subject to coercion? I would like to hear that explanation.

And btw...counting slaves for representation purposes INCREASED the HofR numbers for Southern states....to say that it somehow worked against them is silly at best, dishonest at worst.

When you live in a country that once had in their law books, in their original Constitution of all places, that you are or were once 3/5ths of a person and worth less then non-living products, when you live in a country that once had in their law books, that if anyone attempted to teach you to read was a crime worthy of severe punishment...you tend to have a different view of the original laws and foundation/founders of that country.

Just saying.

Why would you choose to live in that country?

Does that country still exist?

Are any of those people who lived in that country still giving you shit?

Any of that directly happen to you bones? If it did, I'm truly sorry. If it didn't, get the fuck over it. You were not harmed by slavery. Nor was your father or anyone you have ever known.
I am over it. I just don't like people downplaying the slavery which occurred in the United States. It was an atrocity and no amount of rationalizations can ever convincingly say otherwise.

The Republican Party you so despise is responsible for ending slavery, ensuring blacks received the right to vote, they supported in much stronger number than Democrats, all important civil rights legislation.
You've enjoyed 40 years of reverse discrimination in the name of "affirmative action", yet the black race still earns way less on average than whites.
Who gives a toss if blacks make less than whites? I guess life really is about mindlessly worshiping green paper rather than silly notions of love, compassion and spirituality.

Tell me why that is! You have equal or better opportunity, you gain college admission with significantly lower grades and test scores. WHY?
It's because you still think we owe you something for our sins of 136 years ago. Well fuck you! Grow the fuck up and take personal responsibility.
I'm Caucasian and I am taking personal responsibility.

You take personal responsibility for yourself, but somehow feel whites are to blame for the lack of economic equality of the races. What's wrong with blacks taking personal responsibility?
AULT
In no way did I ever downplay slavery. I agree it was an atrocity. It ended 135 years ago. Economic inequality of the races AIN'T MY FUCKING FAULT.

When you live in a country that once had in their law books, in their original Constitution of all places, that you are or were once 3/5ths of a person and worth less then non-living products,

jesus christ...:rolleyes:

Just saying.

you and sharpton both need to read the 3/5s compromise...you know READ.....

you're a boob...just sayin'..

This thread is proof that blacks and liberals alike are indeed stupid. The 3/5ths compromise was done so to HELP blacks not hinder them. Delegates opposed to slavery
generally wished to count only the free inhabitants of each state. Delegates supportive of slavery, on the other hand, generally wanted to count slaves in their actual numbers. Since slaves could not vote, slaveholders would thus have the benefit of increased representation in the House and the Electoral College. The final compromise of counting "all other persons" as only three-fifths of their actual numbers reduced the power of the slave states relative to the original southern proposals.

This thread is proof that blacks and liberals alike are indeed stupid. The 3/5ths compromise was done so to HELP blacks not hinder them. Delegates opposed to slavery
generally wished to count only the free inhabitants of each state. Delegates supportive of slavery, on the other hand, generally wanted to count slaves in their actual numbers. Since slaves could not vote, slaveholders would thus have the benefit of increased representation in the House and the Electoral College. The final compromise of counting "all other persons" as only three-fifths of their actual numbers reduced the power of the slave states relative to the original southern proposals.

I am a Black person and a Democrat, and don't you dare call me stupid! I work Mon-Fri. I earn my living and I pay my taxes. You don't know me to call me a name. I want an apology from YOU b/c you said something about ME that is NOT TRUE!!

When you live in a country that once had in their law books, in their original Constitution of all places, that you are or were once 3/5ths of a person and worth less then non-living products, when you live in a country that once had in their law books, that if anyone attempted to teach you to read was a crime worthy of severe punishment...you tend to have a different view of the original laws and foundation/founders of that country.

Just saying.

Is it better in Africa where blacks enslave blacks? Hmmm?

Is the black master of a black slave let off the hook for HIS crime?

I am a Black person and a Democrat, and don't you dare call me stupid! I work Mon-Fri. I earn my living and I pay my taxes. You don't know me to call me a name. I want an apology from YOU b/c you said something about ME that is NOT TRUE!!

I'm sorry you're stupid.

If you weren't stupid you wouldn't have responded to this post in a defensive manner. A smart person would know that I wasn't singling out any one person but speaking in general terms regarding the idiots that have chimed in about the 3/5ths compromise, which they obviously know nothing about. Oh and one more thing, a smart person would have realized that "democrats" wasn't mentioned at all.

really? how many times are white males, conservatives and republicans called stupid on this board. at least that post gave a reason for calling names.

Yes there were slaves in the north but the souths population of slaves were many. Representitives were decided by population therefore counting black slaves (YEH I KNOW that there were WHITE ENDENTURED SERVANTS) as 3/5ths of a person in the census would take away representation #s from the south.

The Three-Fifths compromise was a compromise between Southern and Northern states reached during the Philadelphia Convention of 1787 in which three-fifths of the population of slaves would be counted for enumeration purposes regarding both the distribution of taxes and the apportionment of the members of the United States House of Representatives. It was proposed by delegates James Wilson and Roger Sherman.

Delegates opposed to slavery generally wished to count only the free inhabitants of each state. Delegates supportive of slavery, on the other hand, generally wanted to count slaves in their actual numbers. Since slaves could not vote, slaveholders would thus have the benefit of increased representation in the House and the Electoral College. The final compromise of counting "all other persons" as only three-fifths of their actual numbers reduced the power of the slave states relative to the original southern proposals, but increased it over the northern position.

The three-fifths compromise is found in Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States Constitution:

“ Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.

Three-fifths compromise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just saying.

You're as stupid as you look.

The three-fifths clause in the Constitution did not mean blacks were subhuman. It was actually designed to reduce the power of the slave-owning states in the U.S. Congress. Counting slaves as three-fifths of a person in the Census was actually a compromise position reached between northern and southern states at the 1787 Philadelphia Convention. Delegates opposed to slavery didn't want to count slaves in the Census at all, because it would inflate the representation of the slave owning states in Congress. The number of representatives in Congress was determined by the number of people being represented. Counting slaves a full persons, as the slave owning states wished to do, would only increase the political power of the slave owners. Thus, the three-fifths compromise was reached. It would have been better if the wishes of the anti-slavery people had won out, and slaves were not counted at all, and only free persons were counted. (note – free black people were counted as full persons). After all, it's not like the interests of the slaves were being represented in Congress by the slave owners. Only the slave owners interests were being represented. Counting black slaves as full persons at that time would have only increased the power of their masters. Not a desirable outcome.

History: Three-Fifths Of A Person

You are a fucking moron.:cuckoo:

Just saying.

You're as stupid as you look.

The three-fifths clause in the Constitution did not mean blacks were subhuman. It was actually designed to reduce the power of the slave-owning states in the U.S. Congress. Counting slaves as three-fifths of a person in the Census was actually a compromise position reached between northern and southern states at the 1787 Philadelphia Convention. Delegates opposed to slavery didn't want to count slaves in the Census at all, because it would inflate the representation of the slave owning states in Congress. The number of representatives in Congress was determined by the number of people being represented. Counting slaves a full persons, as the slave owning states wished to do, would only increase the political power of the slave owners. Thus, the three-fifths compromise was reached. It would have been better if the wishes of the anti-slavery people had won out, and slaves were not counted at all, and only free persons were counted. (note – free black people were counted as full persons). After all, it's not like the interests of the slaves were being represented in Congress by the slave owners. Only the slave owners interests were being represented. Counting black slaves as full persons at that time would have only increased the power of their masters. Not a desirable outcome.

History: Three-Fifths Of A Person

You are a fucking moron.:cuckoo:

How does it feel to be pwned by someone you call a moron?

I don't blame you for avoiding engaging in a debate with me since I would simply kick your ass again.

Just saying.

You do understand the thought behind the 3/5ths Person thing, don't you??? That was done to give the Free States better leverage in ending Slavery. Slave owners in the South used the Slave Population in the Census, which determined representation in the House, and Electors. The 3/5th's value on a Slave weakened the voice of the South, plain and simple. You have your right to trash Washington, as you do to trash every person and Society on the 7 Continents that supported Slavery in one form or another, throughout recorded History, as far back as Hammurabi. I don't think there remains much on the plate though, after you are done with the list. We on the other hand have Outlawed Slavery here, much in part because of the Foundation that Our Forefathers put in place.

"Yes, I'd like to help you and your people...therefore, I'm going to count you as 3/5ths of one of us. To further help you and your people, I'm going to make it a law that if you and/or anyone attempts to teach you to read or are caught reading, we'll make it illegal with a strong penalty. To help you even more, after you're no longer a slave, I'm going to make it impossible for you and your people, especially the males, to even get a job. And last, but not least, to give you the best possible hand I can, I'm going to make it so that you and your people are segregated from the rest of civilized society, so you can live in the corner back there somewhere and form your little community, but don't expect any normal services...you'll have to work it out yourself. You can thank me on your way out."

Last edited:
"Yes, I'd like to help you and your people...therefore, I'm going to count you as 3/5ths of one of us. To further help you and your people, I'm going to make it a law that if you and/or anyone attempts to teach you to read or are caught reading, we'll make it illegal with a strong penalty. To help you even more, after you're no longer a slave, I'm going to make it impossible for you and your people, especially the males, to even get a job. And last, but not least, to give you the best possible hand I can, I'm going to make it so that you and your people are segregated from the rest of civilized society, so you can live in the corner back there somewhere and form your little community, but don't expect any normal services...you'll have to work it out yourself. You can thank me on your way out."

Nice strawman.

Just saying.

You do understand the thought behind the 3/5ths Person thing, don't you??? That was done to give the Free States better leverage in ending Slavery. Slave owners in the South used the Slave Population in the Census, which determined representation in the House, and Electors. The 3/5th's value on a Slave weakened the voice of the South, plain and simple. You have your right to trash Washington, as you do to trash every person and Society on the 7 Continents that supported Slavery in one form or another, throughout recorded History, as far back as Hammurabi. I don't think there remains much on the plate though, after you are done with the list. We on the other hand have Outlawed Slavery here, much in part because of the Foundation that Our Forefathers put in place.

With all the history regarding black people in this country, you are going to be hard pressed to find any black people willing to thank whites for the 3/5 person law.

You are talking about allot more than George Washington there Marc. Let's fast forward for a nanosecond to present day. Is there any other Country you prefer over the US??? Where else would you prefer to raise and educate? As long as you hold on to the hate it will both be a stumbling block to you, and fuel to those that would antagonize you. I'm not telling you to get a Lobotomy, just try harder to see past it. What you project will come back and bite you in the ass. The same holds for the rest of us.

The discussion hinged on the 3/5ths compromise of which is written in the Constitution. None of what you spouted is found in the aforementioned document.

Yes your poor ancestors had it bad, cry me a fucking river.

Oh and thanks for once again showing us your victim mentality.

Forum List

Back