Arctic ice volume continues to decrease

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
This year's retreat from a winter maximum of about 15 million square kilometres to a September coverage area of just five million square kilometres also means that the four greatest melts since satellite measurements began in the late 1970s have occurred in the past four years.

Read more: Another big-ice Arctic thaw, say experts

I still have to get up and go to work in the morning.

Tell you what, Mr. R. -I'll ride my bike to work in the morning. Well, not tomorrow becuse I'll be really hung over. Friday. Yeah Friday. It's only a 1.6 mile round trip, but I'll do it. Only if YOU promise to ride your bike 1.6 miles sometime in the next few days.

Deal?

First, it will take a massive switch from fossil fuels in production of electricity and transportation to have any affect on the on the increase in GHGs in the atmosphere. And even were we magically able to do a complete switch in a decade, the warming will continue for the next 30 to 50 years.

The last time the CO2 level was at 300 ppm, the sea level stood many meters above what it is today. We are at 388 ppm, were we able to stop the rise right there, it would take a thousand years or more to get down even to 300 ppm. So, no matter what we do today, we are going to have to adapt to a very differant world in the next decades.

Ride my bike? Don't have one, but I will walk that far. Do anyway, just to keep in shape. Hard to walk up mountains like Antero in Colorado if I fail to keep in shape.

Wow. You da man for walking the walk. :thup:

But that's a good point there- even were we magically able to do a complete switch in a decade...

Let's say we could reduce our consumption of petroleum overnight... by 12 million barrels per day, as an example. At current rates, the U.S. would still need 9 million barrels of oil each day just to keep up with demand. Well, it happens that that we produce that 9 million barrels of oil per day right her in the U. S. of A.

At this juncture, what would be our energy policy? To stifle domestic oil production? Enact a moratorium on Gulf drilling? Place over $40 billion in taxes on the domestic oil and gas industry?

Think about it.

But that's a good point there- even were we magically able to do a complete switch in a decade...

Let's say we could reduce our consumption of petroleum overnight... by 12 million barrels per day, as an example. At current rates, the U.S. would still need 9 million barrels of oil each day just to keep up with demand. Well, it happens that that we produce that 9 million barrels of oil per day right her in the U. S. of A.

At this juncture, what would be our energy policy? To stifle domestic oil production? Enact a moratorium on Gulf drilling? Place over $40 billion in taxes on the domestic oil and gas industry?

Think about it.

Academic. There will be no attempt to reduce the use of oil or coal in the US until some very bad things happen as a result of a rapid climate shift. And that will be far too late.

Think about it.

Academic. There will be no attempt to reduce the use of oil or coal in the US until some very bad things happen as a result of a rapid climate shift. And that will be far too late.

Precisely. But hardly academic. It is the goal of the liberal establishment to reduce the use of hydrocarbons in the U.S. first and foremost by restricting domestic production.

There is little to no credence given to reducing imports of such. Democrats are an ass-backwards bunch of fools.

I won't disagree with that. However, at least a few of them actually would like to address the problem, rather that ignore or deny it as the Republicans are doing.

Given the attitude in the US and some of the other industrial nations, and pre-industrial nations, our children are going to see some very interesting times, as in the Chinese curse.

But you can't show us in a laboratory how even a 300PPM increase in CO2 increases temperature, right?

Arctic ice depreciation seems proportionate to the massive decrease in press coverage of ice melt since the exposure of the oligarch's monetary schemes in the name of global warming were exposed at Copenagen lol.

But you can't show us in a laboratory how even a 300PPM increase in CO2 increases temperature, right?

They cannot even prove there is CO2 everywhere in the atmosphere, its an estimate and a guess, a theory.

CO2 is dry ice, CO2 is never used to keep things warm.

:eusa_whistle::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Old Crock, how come the ice is cold, how come scientist go to the coldest place on earth to find the biggest concentrations of CO2.

Might be a connection between CO2 and cold.

Like on Mars, its cold on Mars, real cold. The atmosphere is mostly CO2.

Check my facts

Dry ice is CO2
Arctic ice and Antarctic ice are where scientist go to find CO2
Mars is below zero, -200`f., The Mars atmosphere is 95% CO2

They cannot even prove there is CO2 everywhere in the atmosphere, its an estimate and a guess, a theory.

CO2 is dry ice, CO2 is never used to keep things warm.

:eusa_whistle::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Old Crock, how come the ice is cold, how come scientist go to the coldest place on earth to find the biggest concentrations of CO2.

Might be a connection between CO2 and cold.

Like on Mars, its cold on Mars, real cold. The atmosphere is mostly CO2.

Check my facts

Dry ice is CO2
Arctic ice and Antarctic ice are where scientist go to find CO2
Mars is below zero, -200`f., The Mars atmosphere is 95% CO2

Why is Venus hotter than Mercury?

Forum List

Back