Approaching the End of the World (as we know it)

I admit being a simple person - some would say a simpleTON - but it seems to me that if the Climate doomsayers were serious they would publish a short list of the things that mankind must do in order to avoid the catastrophe that they are warning us about.

Cynically, however, I suspect that the reason they don't publish the Short List is because once it were published (note the cool use of the subjunctive mood), the un-seriousness of it would become apparent.

No, we are not going to give up heating or air conditioning,
No, we are not going to give up agriculture,
No, we are not going to give up human mobility (cars, planes, trains, e-bikes, etc.),
No, we are not going to give up transporting goods and services around the globe,
No, we are not going to give up our IT infrastructure,
No, third world countries are not going to give up COAL - the cheapest and most plentiful road to modernity, and
We are not going to move forward with anything serious until the global Left gets on board with nuclear power.

What else do they have? The wind blows when it feels like blowing. The sun don't shine at night, and hardly at all here in Pittsburgh.

While I am a decrepit 72 years old and don't have to worry about the Long Term in any event, I'd put my faith in ENGINEERING. The kind of engineering that makes much of the Netherlands able to live below sea level, and produces drinking water from the sea, albeit at significant cost, and allows people to live in Phoenix, which is naturally uninhabitable. And so on.

The Great Climate Catastrophe will happen gradually. No one is going to drown due to rising sea levels (although the alarmists keep pointing to that mega-block of ice in Antarctica). "We" will deal with the problems as they come. Nobody is going to let Miami or Manhattan go under water - although90% of the country would give that eventuality a thumbs up.

Where is the list JK? Let us look at it, critique it, and poke holes in it.

Lol....you list many reasons nobody is caring about global warming. For 25 years now btw.... :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

The problem is everyone's CO2 output. Arguing that we needn't work on ours because someone else's is worse is a stupid copout. Let me repeat: stupid copout.

Lol....okay....that's the dumbest post I've seen in this forum for 13 years.

Take a bow s0n.

You're not a serious person. Fortunately, you are amongst the vast vast minority fringe:bye1:

I admit being a simple person - some would say a simpleTON - but it seems to me that if the Climate doomsayers were serious they would publish a short list of the things that mankind must do in order to avoid the catastrophe that they are warning us about.

Cynically, however, I suspect that the reason they don't publish the Short List is because once it were published (note the cool use of the subjunctive mood), the un-seriousness of it would become apparent.

No, we are not going to give up heating or air conditioning,
No, we are not going to give up agriculture,
No, we are not going to give up human mobility (cars, planes, trains, e-bikes, etc.),
No, we are not going to give up transporting goods and services around the globe,
No, we are not going to give up our IT infrastructure,
No, third world countries are not going to give up COAL - the cheapest and most plentiful road to modernity, and
We are not going to move forward with anything serious until the global Left gets on board with nuclear power.

What else do they have? The wind blows when it feels like blowing. The sun don't shine at night, and hardly at all here in Pittsburgh.

While I am a decrepit 72 years old and don't have to worry about the Long Term in any event, I'd put my faith in ENGINEERING. The kind of engineering that makes much of the Netherlands able to live below sea level, and produces drinking water from the sea, albeit at significant cost, and allows people to live in Phoenix, which is naturally uninhabitable. And so on.

The Great Climate Catastrophe will happen gradually. No one is going to drown due to rising sea levels (although the alarmists keep pointing to that mega-block of ice in Antarctica). "We" will deal with the problems as they come. Nobody is going to let Miami or Manhattan go under water - although90% of the country would give that eventuality a thumbs up.

Where is the list JK? Let us look at it, critique it, and poke holes in it.

Your list is simply bullshit. No one is arguing those points. That is called a strawman argument - a fallacy.
There is a very short list that has been publicized for decades now. 1) Reduce GHG emissions. End of List. There are thousands of ways to do that. Take your pick.

Your list is simply bullshit. No one is arguing those points. That is called a strawman argument - a fallacy.
There is a very short list that has been publicized for decades now. 1) Reduce GHG emissions. End of List. There are thousands of ways to do that. Take your pick.

You are unable to think on the margin dude....like at all.

So go balls wild cutting emissions here while China burns billions of times of coal for the next three decades. Sounds very reasonable....to nutters.

By your logic, a woman with breast cancer gets one breast removed and everything fixed. d0y...Dr. One Boob Remove :deal:

99 out of 100 people would know how utterly stOOpid that is. Fact :fingerscrossed:

The problem is everyone's CO2 output. Arguing that we needn't work on ours because someone else's is worse is a stupid copout. Let me repeat: stupid copout.

Wasting...err...investing trillions on less reliable, more expensive "green" energy to reduce US CO2 output while China massively overwhelms our reduction is something only stupid liberals, but I repeat myself, could support.

China actually IS working pretty hard to reduce their GHG emissions. But let me point out that the world will end sooner with both of us doing nothing than it will with only one of us doing nothing.

Oh boy....100% false. Only the most prolific of rubes say China working hard to reduce emissions. The bobbleheads.

China increases coal production MONTHLY :cul2: :cul2::cul2: And will be doing so EVERY MONTH until 2030.
Fact.

Links provided ( happily ) upon request.

Crick and Old Rocks don't dabble in lying....they are defined by the lying. Total frauds.

Links provided ( happily ) upon request.

How to insert links in your post
1. Find supporting evidence.
2. Highlight the URL (that's the address of the webpage)
3. Copy it (either write it down to type it again later, or use "Ctrl-C"
4. In your post you can either retype the address or use "Ctrl-V" to paste it into the body of the post.

ALTERNATELY: you can highlight a word in the post and then click the LINK button at the top of the post (the one with the cartoon of a chain link) and then type in the address of your supporting evidence or use Ctrl-V to paste the link in the box.

It's really easy!

Is China doing right by the environment? Probably not. They are making a lot of cheap goods that remain cheap by avoiding having to deal with the climate or personal safety of the workers. That allows them to sell goods cheaply all over the world with the USA being among the largest buyers of said goods.

As such the USA is bankrolling, financing and ensuring that China continues to do this.

Recently China's "Blue Sky Initiative" saw it closing a critical chemical plant which was the sole producer for a raw material used in a very large number of industries all around the world. You can bet the good people in the West complained bitterly about China trying to do the right thing.

China actually IS working pretty hard to reduce their GHG emissions. But let me point out that the world will end sooner with both of us doing nothing than it will with only one of us doing nothing.
Todd, why do you laugh at this?

Because it's funny.

What proof can you show that
"China actually IS working pretty hard to reduce their GHG emissions"?
You shoud have tried looking before responding

NOT SECURE: China contributes to global carbon emissions reduction

Well, if China's cabinet said it............

Thanks for the CFR link.......

1652132594521.png

Excellent evidence for your claim...... "In 2020, China built over three times more new coal-power capacity than the rest of the world combined"

I didn't say they were doing a top notch job, but they ARE trying. They did far more than Trump did. And, besides, as I've pointed out repeatedly now, arguing that the US should do nothing because you don't think China has done enough is puerile and ignorant.

I didn't say they were doing a top notch job, but they ARE trying. They did far more than Trump did. And, besides, as I've pointed out repeatedly now, arguing that the US should do nothing because you don't think China has done enough is puerile and ignorant.
Yet these same world leaders decrying climate change are purposely pushing nuclear brinksmanship with Russia. Will a nuclear holocaust be good for the planet? Maybe they think so, since it will potentially kill billions of AGW causing humans.

Fucking humans!

Last edited:

I didn't say they were doing a top notch job, but they ARE trying.

Obviously. Nothing says trying better than building "over three times more new coal-power capacity than the rest of the world combined in 2020"

Is your definition of "trying" just saying you're going to reduce GHG emissions?

They did far more than Trump did.

You're right. Trump didn't build any new coal plants.
Oh, wait, you meant they did more to REDUCE. LOL!

Is that liberal math?

arguing that the US should do nothing

Nothing? It looks like the US has actually, IRL, reduced CO2 emissions since our peak in 2007.

1652804714104.png

What do China's emissions look like since 2007?

because you don't think China has done enough is puerile and ignorant.

Be a grown-up, show me what China has done, besides burn more coal.

This is getting off topic, of course, but who do you believe is pushing nuclear brinksmanship besides Vladimir Putin?

I didn't say they were doing a top notch job, but they ARE trying.

Obviously. Nothing says trying better than building "over three times more new coal-power capacity than the rest of the world combined in 2020"

Is your definition of "trying" just saying you're going to reduce GHG emissions?

They did far more than Trump did.

You're right. Trump didn't build any new coal plants.
Oh, wait, you meant they did more to REDUCE. LOL!

Is that liberal math?

arguing that the US should do nothing

Nothing? It looks like the US has actually, IRL, reduced CO2 emissions since our peak in 2007.

View attachment 645854

What do China's emissions look like since 2007?

because you don't think China has done enough is puerile and ignorant.

Be a grown-up, show me what China has done, besides burn more coal.
The point I am arguing against is the contention that the US should do nothing because China, in your view, has done nothing. That is puerile and ignorant.

The point I am arguing against is the contention that the US should do nothing because China, in your view, has done nothing. That is puerile and ignorant.
What planet are you living on? The US has done something. We switched from coal to natural gas and increased renewable energy. Your Utopian vision of 100% renewables and 100% EV's is a pipe dream. It won't happen.

We shouldn't waste trillions to reduce our CO2 if China is going to add triple what we reduce.
That's ignorant. And dangerous.

China did much worse than doing nothing.

Forum List

Back