Applebee's Owner: The Truth About $15 Minimum Wage

Because they'll be unemployed.

Because employers want to keep their record profits?

Profit is theft, eh comrade?

Screwing your employees pay to make record profits is morally reprehensible. So we need regulations to control the actions of the bad guys.

Yes, low/no skilled workers must be paid enough to buy a big house in the 'burbs.

Unless you are a degreed/certificate employee you ARE low skilled.

Matt recently brought you up to date on how liberals’ minimum wage demands have done severe damage to Seattle's and New York’s businesses. He highlighted a New York Post report revealing that, in the wake of the increased rate to $15 an hour, New York lost a staggering 1,000 restaurants.

Applebee's was one of the businesses that has been especially hard pressed by the minimum wage hike. Zane Tankel, the CEO of Applebee’s New York franchise, explained that his restaurants were forced to fire at least 1,000 employees so far thanks to the liberal policy. He shared the unfortunate news with Fox Business's Stuart Varney on Monday.

Instead of typical servers, the CEO explained that they will soon be replaced by concierges, who merely check on customers from time to time to make them feel "warm and comfortable."

"The model now that we're heading towards where we had one server for three or four tables, we're moving towards one server for ten tables, eliminating about two-thirds of our labor ultimately. But it's because of Cuomo, De Blasio, the liberal agenda."

If Applebee's completely follows through with its concierge service, nearly 2,000 employees will be heading for the exit, Newsbusters explains.

Tankel discussed this same issue with Varney in January, back when he had *only* fired 500 employees.

“We can’t raise prices anymore,” he said at the time, rather candidly, so they had to take drastic measures.

The lost workers, he explained, could be replaced with tablets that are placed on customers’ tables.

"Increasing minimum wage is technology's best friend," Tankel concluded.

One server for ten tables has been an industry norm for decades. The story is a lie.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ideal-waiter-to-table-ratio-in-a-restaurant

I find this response utterly baffling.

"Prices have gone up now we're just going to have to fire people and provide terrible service"

This is what innovation is all about. Wages are just one of hundreds perhaps even thousands of costs that go into running a business. Complaining that when one of those costs increases means that you can't run your business effectively?

Again, this is just a bias toward business and places the burden on workers.

This, of course, is why the distribution of wealth and income matters.

Why would you find employers screwing their employees to increase profit 'baffling?'

Probably because in general they don't do that. There are of course some truly despicable companies out there, but they are the minority, and in general they abuse the illegals. There was an excellent report that was done that showed the long haul truckers who were getting screwed by their employers. Those companies, and the executives who run them, should be tossed in prison, but they are the exception to the rule.

Matt recently brought you up to date on how liberals’ minimum wage demands have done severe damage to Seattle's and New York’s businesses. He highlighted a New York Post report revealing that, in the wake of the increased rate to $15 an hour, New York lost a staggering 1,000 restaurants.

Applebee's was one of the businesses that has been especially hard pressed by the minimum wage hike. Zane Tankel, the CEO of Applebee’s New York franchise, explained that his restaurants were forced to fire at least 1,000 employees so far thanks to the liberal policy. He shared the unfortunate news with Fox Business's Stuart Varney on Monday.

Instead of typical servers, the CEO explained that they will soon be replaced by concierges, who merely check on customers from time to time to make them feel "warm and comfortable."

"The model now that we're heading towards where we had one server for three or four tables, we're moving towards one server for ten tables, eliminating about two-thirds of our labor ultimately. But it's because of Cuomo, De Blasio, the liberal agenda."

If Applebee's completely follows through with its concierge service, nearly 2,000 employees will be heading for the exit, Newsbusters explains.

Tankel discussed this same issue with Varney in January, back when he had *only* fired 500 employees.

“We can’t raise prices anymore,” he said at the time, rather candidly, so they had to take drastic measures.

The lost workers, he explained, could be replaced with tablets that are placed on customers’ tables.

One server for ten tables has been an industry norm for decades. The story is a lie.

"Prices have gone up now we're just going to have to fire people and provide terrible service"

This is what innovation is all about. Wages are just one of hundreds perhaps even thousands of costs that go into running a business. Complaining that when one of those costs increases means that you can't run your business effectively?

Why would you find employers screwing their employees to increase profit 'baffling?'

Where did I say that?

I'm baffled at how someone can say that because prices have gone up waiters are going to have to serve more people with (presumably) leads to less service for customers.

Until someone else figures out how to lower cost somewhere else in the business and can still provide adequate staff to maintain higher levels of service.

I'm baffled at how someone can say that because prices have gone up waiters are going to have to serve more people with (presumably) leads to less service for customers.

What they're saying is, they've raised prices as much as they can without driving away all the customers.
Now, they'll have to cut staff......otherwise their unprofitability will result in a total shut down.

American workers would be so much better off if they made less money.

"Prosperity Through Lower Wages!"

Are you even listening, higher minimum =les jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have heard the same threat every time minimum wage has been raised over the last 70 years.........If you raise wages...you will lose jobs

In each case, the market has adjusted to increasing minimum wage

Lets face it, the minimum wage has not been raised in eight years. How many times has Applebees raised their prices in the last eight years?

In my area they have cut back servers, and have begun to use those table top order pads. The MW has gone up once in 8 years, but Applebees hasn't raised prices except for a couple of items.

Be American and don't use the table top order pads. I don't.

We have heard the same threat every time minimum wage has been raised over the last 70 years.........If you raise wages...you will lose jobs

Lets face it, the minimum wage has not been raised in eight years. How many times has Applebees raised their prices in the last eight years?

In my area they have cut back servers, and have begun to use those table top order pads. The MW has gone up once in 8 years, but Applebees hasn't raised prices except for a couple of items.

Eventually that will be all that's left thanks to progressive policies that favor unemployed people on welfare to employed people actually producing and accomplishing things.

Probably because in general they don't do that. There are of course some truly despicable companies out there, but they are the minority, and in general they abuse the illegals. There was an excellent report that was done that showed the long haul truckers who were getting screwed by their employers. Those companies, and the executives who run them, should be tossed in prison, but they are the exception to the rule.

Sir, in my own observations 90% of employers screw their employees, and much more today than in years past.

FYI: Long haul truckers have been screwed by their employers for decades. The trucking business is one of the worst.

Eventually that will be all that's left thanks to progressive policies that favor unemployed people on welfare to employed people actually producing and accomplishing things.

I don't use self checkout either. I make them open a check stand. Come-on Americans, let's not let the super-rich screw their employees.

Where did I say that?

Until someone else figures out how to lower cost somewhere else in the business and can still provide adequate staff to maintain higher levels of service.

What they're saying is, they've raised prices as much as they can without driving away all the customers.
Now, they'll have to cut staff......otherwise their unprofitability will result in a total shut down.

BULLSHIT! It's more profit for the employer.

Where did I say that?

Yes, we must eliminate profit, for the proletariat!

Where did I say that?

I never wrote that.

Where did I say that?

I never wrote that.

But it sounds good to you, eh comrade?

Where did I say that?

I never wrote that.

No, but it's what you meant. Restaurants are not huge money makers, they get by on a 5 to 10 percent profit if they are lucky. Taking a one to two percent hit is enough to close them. Not exactly the evil corporatist you try and make them out to be.

I had to go to Walmart today on the wife's orders. Since I don't usually shop there I am not all that familiar with them. What struck me though, while watching the poor customer service, the rude behavior and the inability to make change, is that none of the employees I saw seemed to be worth whatever they are being paid let alone raising them to $15. A quick trip there should kill the idea of raising the minimum wage for any observant person.

Where did I say that?

I never wrote that.

No, but it's what you meant. Restaurants are not huge money makers, they get by on a 5 to 10 percent profit if they are lucky. Taking a one to two percent hit is enough to close them. Not exactly the evil corporatist you try and make them out to be.

If that's what I meant, that's what I'd have written.

A well planned/financed restaurant IS a huge money maker. At the low end, 20%. At the high end, 30% or more.

I had to go to Walmart today on the wife's orders. Since I don't usually shop there I am not all that familiar with them. What struck me though, while watching the poor customer service, the rude behavior and the inability to make change, is that none of the employees I saw seemed to be worth whatever they are being paid let alone raising them to $15. A quick trip there should kill the idea of raising the minimum wage for any observant person.

It's amazing that with the bad employees that you listed, last year Walmart made $132B in gross profit. So maybe you're blowing smoke?

It's amazing that with the bad employees that you listed, last year Walmart made $132B in gross profit. So maybe you're blowing smoke?

In Conservatopia, corporations can't make too much and workers can't make too little.

I never wrote that.

A well planned/financed restaurant IS a huge money maker. At the low end, 20%. At the high end, 30% or more.

You're dreaming. High end venues average 8% profit. One restaurant in S.F. is able to make that 25% profit margin. One. The others are nowhere near that. It has the benefit of a captive market. As usual you know nothing of what you are talking.

The parent company of Applebee's and IHOP plans to close up to 160 restaurants, vastly boosting the number of eateries from the two comfort-food chains that it plans to shutter.

Some 105 to 135 Applebee's restaurants will close, up from the 40 to 60 that parent DineEquity said would close in the first quarter. Also on the chopping block are an estimated 20 to 25 IHOP sites, up from about 18.

As many as 160 Applebee's and IHOP locations to close

I never wrote that.

You're dreaming. High end venues average 8% profit. One restaurant in S.F. is able to make that 25% profit margin. One. The others are nowhere near that. It has the benefit of a captive market. As usual you know nothing of what you are talking.

I've invested in restaurants. I know the numbers. A well planned/financed restaurant IS a huge money maker. At the low end, 20%. At the high end, 30% or more.

Which 'one' restaurant do you write of?

Forum List

Back