Apparently It Isn't Enough That The Little Mermaid Is Now Black

surada

You are shocked by this? You don't read or know the Bible?

I have read and studied it through several times. There is no story like this that shocks me. The Bible is a very real, gritty book about the terrible things that happen to a fallen world.

I've read the Bible many times and I still think it's a horrible story.

Concerning foreign wives.

Oh. You think GOD demanded that sacrifice? No, Jephthah made a stupid vow. Judges is chock full of people doing really stupid things. Actually, the entire Bible is.
Okay, let's look at that.

Jephthah made a vow that if God would give him victory over the Ammonites, he would sacrifice the first thing that he encountered when he came home as a burnt offering.

God gave him a victory over the Ammonites, and 30 Ammonite cities were put to the sword.

And the first thing that he encountered was his daughter. But this guy was so scared of God that he and his daughter agreed that they needed to go through with the human sacrifice!

Now, Jephthah might not have thought this thing through, but God is omnipotent and omniscient. He gave Jephy that victory he wanted. He knew his daughter would be the first thing that he encountered.

If anything, I would say God is more to blame.

Of course, this is a horrible story throughout. both the 30 cities put to the sword and the young girl who was butchered to appease a God. Jephthah would go on to nearly exterminate a fellow tribe of Israel in the story that followed. But in the New Testament, he is called a man of valor in Hebrews 11:32.

Just go back to spewing your profanity at me. You like it better and you make more sense.
No, I realize I was being mean now and am trying to engage you intellectually.

I've read the Bible many times and I still think it's a horrible story.

Concerning foreign wives.

A lot of the stories in the Bible are horrible. When people sin, horrible things follow. Sometimes "the rain pours on the righteous and the unrighteous" for no reason at all.

Okay, let's look at that.

Jephthah made a vow that if God would give him victory over the Ammonites, he would sacrifice the first thing that he encountered when he came home as a burnt offering.

God gave him a victory over the Ammonites, and 30 Ammonite cities were put to the sword.

And the first thing that he encountered was his daughter. But this guy was so scared of God that he and his daughter agreed that they needed to go through with the human sacrifice!

Now, Jephthah might not have thought this thing through, but God is omnipotent and omniscient. He gave Jephy that victory he wanted. He knew his daughter would be the first thing that he encountered.

If anything, I would say God is more to blame.

Of course, this is a horrible story throughout. both the 30 cities put to the sword and the young girl who was butchered to appease a God. Jephthah would go on to nearly exterminate a fellow tribe of Israel in the story that followed. But in the New Testament, he is called a man of valor in Hebrews 11:32.

No, I realize I was being mean now and am trying to engage you intellectually.

Yes, war is horrid. Foolish actions reap terrible outcomes.

You realize that soon God will melt the universe away. He has the right to do it. He is Creator. He alone has the right to decide when anyone lives and dies.

But He does NOT require we sacrifice our children to Him.

You do realize that pagans sacrificed their own children, right?

To appease "gods", or so they say.

Notice that they ignore that, while searching the bible for any passage they don't understand that sounds horrible at first glance. To me that is telling and significant.

Notice that they ignore that, while searching the bible for any passage they don't understand that sounds horrible at first glance. To me that is telling and significant.

Imagine accusing the God of the Universe of all these things they accuse Him of. He is beyond truly Awe-some and is to be feared. But not the monster they dearly and desperately want Him to be.

Yes, war is horrid. Foolish actions reap terrible outcomes.

You realize that soon God will melt the universe away. He has the right to do it. He is Creator. He alone has the right to decide when anyone lives and dies.

But He does NOT require we sacrifice our children to Him.
besides your end of the world fetish (why do you guys look forward to that, other than the ability to say "I told you so" to the sinners?) The point is God rewarded Jephthah's foolish action.

He gave him victory over the Ammonites (people who only existed because Lot, the supposedly good person God had to save from Sodom, had drunken sex with his daughter.)

He accepted Jephthah's sacrifice.

Jephthah continued to be Judge over Israel with God's favor, even when he would go on to slaughter a fellow Tribe of Israel, the Ephramites, in Judges 12.

Seems to me he was fine with a human sacrifice.

besides your end of the world fetish (why do you guys look forward to that, other than the ability to say "I told you so" to the sinners?) The point is God rewarded Jephthah's foolish action.

He gave him victory over the Ammonites (people who only existed because Lot, the supposedly good person God had to save from Sodom, had drunken sex with his daughter.)

Jephthah continued to be Judge over Israel with God's favor, even when he would go on to slaughter a fellow Tribe of Israel, the Ephramites, in Judges 12.

True. Rabbis are harder on Lot's sex with his daughters than Christians. Most also fail to make the connection between Jephthah little daughter and Lot's sin.

Imagine accusing the God of the Universe of all these things they accuse Him of. He is beyond truly Awe-some and is to be feared. But not the monster they dearly and desperately want Him to be.

Yeah. I do get it though. Certain people want so badly for Him to be a monster so they can dismiss the true living God of the universe and continue living the way they want to live. What Jesus said in John 3:19 comes to mind, about some people preferring darkness to light, because their actions are dark.

We look forward to the end of this world that sin has all but destroyed and life eternally with God.

Forum List

Back