Apocalypse now ending explained ???

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Very complex ending

Explain

What was that helicopter in the final image ??

How did the Coloniel meet all those native peoples???

Why did he trust the captain to kill him???

Why was he so savage in cutting off his head ???

The word “the” is an article. It is means essentially the same as the word “a.” It is just a more specific term.

The word “end” means you’ve seen it all. Nothing more is coming your way.

I trust this will be of limited value for you. It would be worth more, but given your circumstances ….

The movie was based on Joseph Conrad's HEART OF DARKNESS. Get yourself a synopsis and maybe it will help you to understand. I didn't care for his fiction, too dry by far for me.

Read TS Eliot , America's only decent export to Team GB

In the film, shortly before Colonel Kurtz dies, he recites part of T S Eliots poem "The Hollow Men" The poem is preceded in printed editions by the epigraph "Mistah Kurtz – he dead," a quotation from Conrad's Heart of Darkness

Two books seen opened on Kurtz's desk in the film are From Ritual to Romance by Jessie Weston and The Golden Bough by Sir James Frazer, the two books that Eliot cited as the chief sources and inspiration for his poem "The Waste Land " Eliot's original epigraph for "The Waste Land" was this passage from Heart of Darkness, which ends with Kurtz's final words
knowledge? He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision, – he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath –
"The horror! The horror!"
When Willard is first introduced to Dennis Hopper's character, the photojournalist describes his own worth in relation to that of Kurtz with: "I should have been a pair of ragged claws/Scuttling across the floors of silent seas," from The Love Song of Alfred J Prufrock .
Additionally, Dennis Hopper's character paraphrases the end of "The Hollow Men" to Martin Sheen's character: "This is the way the fucking world ends! [...] Not with a bang, but with a whimper."

Wiki​

Forum List

Back