AP POLL: Tax the rich to pay for health bill

Conservatives claim they're all about "law and order", unless it's tax laws, then they're the champions of the tax cheats.

we just believe we should keep the money we earn and not give it to a government to spend on foreign aid...foreign military bases....union bail outs.....bank bail outs and beauracracy......

and just so i am clear how is sheltering income within the tax code cheating....

Because most of the sheltering isn't within the tax code. It's using the shady banking laws of offshore havens to cover up illegal activity.

Prove Illegality or Stop with the Dishonest Generalizations...

Be Specific and Back your Claims.

:)

peace...

we just believe we should keep the money we earn and not give it to a government to spend on foreign aid...foreign military bases....union bail outs.....bank bail outs and beauracracy......

and just so i am clear how is sheltering income within the tax code cheating....

Because most of the sheltering isn't within the tax code. It's using the shady banking laws of offshore havens to cover up illegal activity.

peace...

14,700 have already admitted to it this year, after efforts to catch them were stepped up.
Nearly 15,000 Americans confess after UBS pact - Times Online

peace...

14,700 have already admitted to it this year, after efforts to catch them were stepped up.

Let's go with 52,000...

I Assume they are ALL Guilty for Sake of this Debate...

How does that Justify your Original Comments Regarding the Rich?...

There are FAR More than 52,000 People who Fall into this Category who would be Punished by a Tax on their Incomes for Healthcare for others.

No Amount of Wrongdoing by Some Justifies Punitive Taxes for ALL who Fall into an Income Bracket with them.

peace...

Conservatives claim they're all about "law and order", unless it's tax laws, then they're the champions of the tax cheats.

Liberals LOVE to Insinuate Wrongdoing and even Criminality when they are Disagreeing with others on Issues.

Try Disagreeing with them on Homosexual Marriage and see what you get Called...

Not Directly of course, they aren't Honest enough for that.

Insinuation is their Friend.

peace...

Or wonton hyperbole...and the misuse of it? ;)

How pathetic is a government that would alienate and penalize "Americans", that are successful, creating jobs, funding charities, hospitals, schools etc.? Maybe they should seek a minority status? :rolleyes:

It's absolute nonsense! The government is going to have to come up with ways to pay for HC (and all future whims) from within. It high time to stop the full on assault of the rich. Enough is enough!

How pathetic is a government that would alienate and penalize "Americans", that are successful, creating jobs, funding charities, hospitals, schools etc.? Maybe they should seek a minority status? :rolleyes:

It's absolute nonsense! The government is going to have to come up with ways to pay for HC (and all future whims) from within. It high time to stop the full on assault of the rich. Enough is enough!

Are you serious? HC is NOT a RIGHT but a responsibility of the individual.

High time some of YOU realized this and stopped being so intellectually and physically fuckin' LAZY.

High time some of YOU realized this and stopped being so intellectually and physically fuckin' LAZY.

Yea, no shit.:eusa_eh: I pay for my HC, also for my employees that are eligible. I'm perfectly responsible in that regard. What's your point?

I believe there should be some type of HC for those in real need. Why it has to be on a federal level, I don't get. Reform what's being provided state to state and leave big government out of it.

My thoughts are bubbling when it comes to the health care discussion. I have an article on health care on my website. The way I see it is that healthcare for all provided by the government would be a good thing. The government funds public schools, they pave our roads. They engineer infrastructures that support our great country. Everyone should be able to get treatment if they become ill. Taxes help fund these programs. You can't just print up money, thats why we have a such a tremendous debt. There should be some kind of a sliding scale. Everyone has contribute what they can to help set up a system that won't be a failure for the future generations.

James Flynn

Singling out the top 5% is only the beginning. Once that 5% can't keep HC funded, the government will be forced to change the "who's rich" standard. It won't work. This is their baby, they need to pay for it......

Yea, no shit.:eusa_eh: I pay for my HC, also for my employees that are eligible. I'm perfectly responsible in that regard. What's your point?

I believe there should be some type of HC for those in real need. Why it has to be on a federal level, I don't get. Reform what's being provided state to state and leave big government out of it.

Good then let CHARITY address that need.

Alrighty then......;)

Alrighty then......;)

Bullshit.

Every other industrialized country in the world has national health insurance, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare.
Chris did i not see you post this before?.....looks very familiar......nah....nobody posts the same thing over and over and over again....

ok Polk i gotta hear this.....tell us all here how the rich Dems dont do the same dam thing with their money....and the way the govt blows OUR money....i dont blame any person for keeping what they can.....

ok Polk i gotta hear this.....tell us all here how the rich Dems dont do the same dam thing with their money....and the way the govt blows OUR money....i dont blame any person for keeping what they can.....

Especially when it copmes to people in Obama's Admin, and Wrangle? And other Democrats that have YET to be charged?

POLK is projecting while IGNORING his heroes.

WASHINGTON — When it comes to paying for a health care overhaul, Americans see just one way to go: Tax the rich.

That finding from a new Associated Press poll will be welcome news for House Democrats, who proposed doing just that in their sweeping remake of the U.S. medical system, which passed earlier this month and would extend coverage to millions of uninsured Americans.

The poll found participants sour on other ways of paying for the health overhaul that is being considered in Congress, including taxing insurers on high-value coverage packages derided by President Barack Obama and Democrats as "Cadillac plans."

That approach is being weighed in the Senate. It is one of the few proposals in any congressional legislation that analysts say would help reduce the nation's health expenditures, but it has come under fire from organized labor and has little support in the House.

Lawmakers also are looking at levying new taxes on insurance companies, drug companies and medical device makers. But the only approach that got majority support in the AP poll was a tax on upper-income Americans.

The House bill would impose a 5.4 percent income tax surcharge on individuals making more than $500,000 a year and households making more than $1 million.

The Associated Press: AP POLL: Tax the rich to pay for health bill

Maybe these guys can pay for your healthcare Chrissy with their Obama tax breaks.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/b...l=1&adxnnlx=1258599660-GwMpy56GWxoWNZpT2u/Vaw
But tucked inside the law was another prize: a tax break that lets big companies offset losses incurred in 2008 and 2009 against profits booked as far back as 2004. The tax cuts will generate corporate refunds or relief worth about $33 billion, according to an administration estimate.

Before the bill became law, the so-called look-back on losses was limited to small businesses and could be used to counterbalance just two years of profits. Now the profit offset goes back five years, and the law allows big companies to take advantage of it, too. The only companies that can’t participate are Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and any institution that took money under the Troubled Asset Relief Program.

Among the biggest beneficiaries are home builders, analysts say. Once again, at the front of the government assistance line, stand some of the very companies that contributed mightily to the credit crisis by building and financing too many homes.

This is getting to be a habit: companies that participated on the upside and are now reaping rewards from the taxpayers on the downside. The banks that underwrote so many dubious loans, for example, received government aid to get them lending again. Unfortunately, that hasn’t been the result.

One can make an argument that throwing money at the banking system is necessary if we are to jump-start the economy. And banks need a bigger capital cushion to protect against future losses.

But dropping helicopter money on the home builders — the folks who massively overbuilt in community after community — seems decidedly less urgent (unless you are one of these companies, of course). Given that the supply of housing far outstrips demand, it is unlikely that these companies will use these tax breaks to hire workers (unless they go into a completely new line of business).

“I AM surprised that home builders are getting hundreds of millions of dollars given that many have very strong balance sheets,” said Ivy Zelman, chief executive at Zelman & Associates, a research firm. “We question the public policy decision to gift home builders with capital that many will not use to create jobs, since they admit that job growth will be dependent not on capital, but on improving demand.”

When Mr. Obama signed the law, his administration said the tax break would help “struggling businesses.” But as Ms. Zelman pointed out, many large home builders are sitting atop mountains of cash. Pulte Homes, which will receive refunds exceeding $450 million under the new law, has $1.5 billion in cash and cash equivalents on its balance sheet, according to its most recent financial statement.

Hovnanian Enterprises is another big beneficiary of the tax break. It anticipates a refund of $250 million to $275 million next year. It had $550 million in cash in its most recent quarter.

Smaller recipients include Standard Pacific, which is poised to reap cash refunds of $80 million under the new tax break. According to its most recent financial filing, Standard Pacific held $523 million in cash and cash equivalents.

Finally, Beazer Homes told investors that it expects to receive a refund of $50 million. The company reported cash and equivalents of $557 million at the end of September.

Some of the home builders poised to receive tax refunds have even more cash today than they did last year. D. R. Horton, for example, has $1.966 billion in cash, up 45 percent from September 2008 levels. And some are healthy enough to have retired significant amounts of debt from their balance sheets this year. Pulte has bought back $1.93 billion in debt in 2009.

So what do these companies plan to do with their refunds?

Ken Campbell, the chief executive of Standard Pacific, said the money would allow his company to continue buying land. “Will we build more houses or will there be more people employed in the first quarter? Probably not,” he said. “Will employment accelerate when the market starts to grow? It will.”

Especially when it copmes to people in Obama's Admin, and Wrangle? And other Democrats that have YET to be charged?

what many dont seem to get is that the rich,at least the vast majority,are all in the same fraternity,no matter what walk of life they are from,money does change peoples perspectives....we had a poor homeless guy out here who was on tv telling the interviewer how terrible it was to let him and his friends go hungry etc.,etc....about 2 weeks later,the same news folks report on this guy......the fucker spends a buck and wins 20,000 dollars in the lotto.....all of his homeless friends were happy for him and asked if he was going to buy them all dinner.....the guy tells them to "get the fuck away from me i aint Santa Claus".....money changes your outlook.....

what many dont seem to get is that the rich,at least the vast majority,are all in the same fraternity,no matter what walk of life they are from,money does change peoples perspectives....we had a poor homeless guy out here who was on tv telling the interviewer how terrible it was to let him and his friends go hungry etc.,etc....about 2 weeks later,the same news folks report on this guy......the fucker spends a buck and wins 20,000 dollars in the lotto.....all of his homeless friends were happy for him and asked if he was going to buy them all dinner.....the guy tells them to "get the fuck away from me i aint Santa Claus".....money changes your outlook.....

But YET the ELITE politicians do it...with OPM (Other people's MONEY) when promising the so-called drowntrodden masses...but you see? NEVER with their OWN money...

peace...

Let's go with 52,000...

I Assume they are ALL Guilty for Sake of this Debate...

How does that Justify your Original Comments Regarding the Rich?...

There are FAR More than 52,000 People who Fall into this Category who would be Punished by a Tax on their Incomes for Healthcare for others.

No Amount of Wrongdoing by Some Justifies Punitive Taxes for ALL who Fall into an Income Bracket with them.

peace...

:eusa_whistle:

peace...

Chris. I have insurance. Your argument that someone else, my employer I assume, pays my costs. Hmm. Guess my 80/20 plan means I don't pay much. That doesn't negate the fact that there are plenty in this country who pay for nothing and get the benefits via the Govt, i.e. the taxpayers of America.

As for universal healthcare. Well I have European friends that tell me it sucks. They pay big taxes to support it and if you have a catastropic illness, cancer, heart disease, need hips joints replaced then you go in the waiting line. Thats if they even get approved for whatever they need. They think we are stark stariing crazy to even entertain that system for America. They are quite literally flabbergasted.

All I can see happening is higher taxes and rationed care and big waiting lists. The Govt has never in its entire history run anything cheaply or well. What a clusterfuck in the making. The Govt in charge of my healthcare??? No thanks.

Fix the problem, Cost. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Morons one and all.

Forum List

Back