AOC 2020: Its time to think more seriously about the implications of elderly presidents. change law!

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
the Constitution set the minimum age to be president at 35. AOC, one of the most influential voices in her party, is unable to join the two dozen other candidates seeking the party's nomination. Even if Democratic primary voters wanted to support her, they could not. So if she can't run simply because she's too young, is it stripping Americans of any more of a choice by saying they can not vote for somebody who would be in their 80s during a first term?

The second issue is that even if they wanted to, there's a lack of objective information available for voters to determine whether somebody is physically and mentally unfit to serve out a term in office. Candidates are not required to submit medical information, and both Trump (with his ridiculous doctor's note) and Hillary Clinton (with her pneumonia cover-up) were opaque about their health in 2016.

ven that it's becoming more common for elderly candidates to run for president, we should be thinking about the problem in a serious matter. Even if a candidate looks vigorous on the campaign trail, a lot can happen within four years in a demanding job, and, in general, somebody in their 80s is going to be at a significantly greater risk of having some sort of adverse physical or mental health decline within that period. This should be a serious part of our political discourse at a time when so many elderly candidates are seeking office.

the Constitution set the minimum age to be president at 35. AOC, one of the most influential voices in her party, is unable to join the two dozen other candidates seeking the party's nomination. Even if Democratic primary voters wanted to support her, they could not. So if she can't run simply because she's too young, is it stripping Americans of any more of a choice by saying they can not vote for somebody who would be in their 80s during a first term?

The second issue is that even if they wanted to, there's a lack of objective information available for voters to determine whether somebody is physically and mentally unfit to serve out a term in office. Candidates are not required to submit medical information, and both Trump (with his ridiculous doctor's note) and Hillary Clinton (with her pneumonia cover-up) were opaque about their health in 2016.

ven that it's becoming more common for elderly candidates to run for president, we should be thinking about the problem in a serious matter. Even if a candidate looks vigorous on the campaign trail, a lot can happen within four years in a demanding job, and, in general, somebody in their 80s is going to be at a significantly greater risk of having some sort of adverse physical or mental health decline within that period. This should be a serious part of our political discourse at a time when so many elderly candidates are seeking office.
Yes Mr. Senile, if you say so

Do you really think we need a president too stupid to operate and terrified by a garbage disposal?

Last edited:
WOW...

The founders of this nation knew that young people are inherently stupid and without life experience and should never be allowed that kind of power. Keeping the likes of idiots like AOC out of any real power is the only way we do not get another Hitler...

The reason Older politicians get to the Highest office is because it takes a lifetime of Palm greasing and ass kissing to the attain the Political collateral needed to make a run for President. Clinton and Obama were Two of the greatest ass kissers and palm greasers our Political system ever produced so they won young. Their records reflect it!

Oh well, give her about 40 years, she'll come around.
that's when she reaches the current age of Trump!
The best Altzheimers meds are as follows

Three cholinesterase inhibitors are commonly prescribed: Donepezil (Aricept) is approved to treat all stages of Alzheimer's. Rivastigmine (Exelon) is approved to treat mild to moderate Alzheimer's. Galantamine (Razadyne) is approved to treat mild to moderate Alzheimer's.

So if she can't run simply because she's too young, is it stripping Americans of any more of a choice by saying they can not vote for somebody who would be in their 80s during a first term?
My son is twelve (12) years old. He knows his abc’s and can count to 100.

I too believe he should have a right to run for office. I’ve even made a car seat that allows him to see over the stirring wheel and a mechanic friend of mine is extending the gas and brake pedals so he can reach them with his feet.

Frankly I don’t care what the law says, next week I intend on giving him driving lessons.
:)-

One other thing. 35 was lot older for the day back then. That means experience in life was an important consideration. Today it can mean like being a child in the ways of the world.

Most influential at being stupid and division, yes. She actually helps Trump each passing day he's president.

the Constitution set the minimum age to be president at 35. AOC, one of the most influential voices in her party, is unable to join the two dozen other candidates seeking the party's nomination.

She lacks a lot of things, persae. She obviously lacks a decent "voice to the American people". She lacks quality. She lacks Professionalism. But I will giver her this: She does not lack getting attention when she sees fit. She is an attention whore.
No Presidents that I know of, and read about received any attention. And if they did, it was courtesy of the American people.

Rep Cortez is a inchoate politician determined to keep herself in the spotlight.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/07/joe-biden-age-2020/593350/

from the article:

Biden is looking for that sweet spot between “wise” and “over the hill.”

That can be hard to find when your voting record is older than some of the other candidates in the race. People who know him have told me that the former vice president has decided, out of both strategy and conviction, that he should never apologize. He still sees himself as the same young-buck visionary, the one who was barely old enough to be sworn in to the Senate when he first won his seat in 1972, three years after Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

Everything about Biden comes back to how long he’s been around. He was working on civil-rights legislation for years before any of the other candidates, which is part of the reason he was “compromising” with segregationists. The Violence Against Women Act, the Assault Weapons Ban, the Voting Rights Act renewals—he has been part of more legislation on pretty much every topic than his competitors. He knows more of the history and ins and outs of how it went down

Biden believes that his experience gives him an important window into how Washington can work, from a time when political discourse was more like the Lincoln-Douglas debates than rats scratching at each other over stale bread crusts. And he has the comfort of knowing that primary voters tend to skew both older and more moderate, and have been telling pollsters so far in this primary race that they value experience.

He snaps sometimes. He can ramble. The references can be dated, as when shortly after he launched his campaign, he mixed up Theresa May and Margaret Thatcher. When he has these gaffes, rivals and pundits ascribe added significance. He is deft with selfies, but also defends himself by pointing out things like being the deciding vote on the Gurney Amendment (which happened in 1974). Since he entered the race this spring, he’s spent more days off the trail than on

Or there’s the story he told last weekend at a Seattle fundraiser, of how it would have been okay to make fun of a “gay waiter” five years ago. He told the same story in 2014, as having been okay 15 years before. Five years ago, he illustrated the story with an imitation of the waiter, with a put-on lisp.

Two weeks ago, when introduced at a Planned Parenthood forum in South Carolina, he stopped a moderator who said, “You’ve had a long career in politics—” saying, “Stop emphasizing the long part, will you?”

“He’s like Farmers Insurance,” Representative Cedric Richmond of Louisiana told me in May, just before Biden’s official kickoff rally in Philadelphia, appropriating the company’s slogan. “He knows a thing or two because he’s done a thing or two.”

there's more:

"“What I’m really saying is not specific to him—it’s a generational argument. I don’t know many people in their mid-70s who are as young and energetic as Joe Biden, but our government should represent all of us. We have a lot of people who represent the older generations, and I think we need more people who represent younger people,” Moulton told me this week, on a layover on his way to campaign in Nevada. He recalled how confused senators were last year about how Facebook works when they called Mark Zuckerberg in for a regulatory hearing last April—and those senators were, for the most part, younger than Biden. “I think he’s a very sensitive guy, but our national-security challenges right now are drones and artificial intelligence and space warfare; I don’t think people look to the Vietnam generation as the generation that’s going to figure that out.”

Everyone else so far who’s made the age arguments against Biden has made them very carefully. Seth Moulton, the representative from Massachusetts who launched a presidential campaign late and has been swinging hard to get in, has a line that he uses all the time about how it’s time for the generation who voted for the Iraq War to move aside and be replaced by the generation who fought in the Iraq War. This isn’t very subtle: Biden supported the war, and Moulton is a decorated Marine who served four tours, but it’s an attack that Moulton is making after a few years of being a favorite of Biden, who included him in the group of young veterans in Democratic politics who reminded him of his late son Beau.

Biden’s team feels confident that his greatest strength in the campaign is that people know him to be a decent man. But voters have never gone for anyone they knew anywhere near as well as they know Biden, or anyone who’d been in politics as long. Jonathan Rauch, a fellow at the Brookings Institution think tank (and an Atlantic contributing editor) coined in 2003 what he calls the “14-year rule,” which found that every president since the beginning of the 20th century had been elected president or vice president a maximum of 14 years since his first election. Biden would pass the 14-year rule three times over, with five years to spare.

With Biden, he said, “I don’t think we’ve ever seen that kind of staleness before—either he’s nonviable if you believe the 14-year rule, or he completely blows the rule out of the water.”

Trump has called Biden “sleepy” and said “he looks different than he used to, he acts different than he used to, he’s even slower than he used to be,” prompting Biden to respond in Iowa a few weeks ago, “Look at him and look at me and answer the question.”

Eric Swalwell of California, who was still in diapers through Biden’s second term in the Senate, called for Biden to pass the torch (it’s printed on his campaign merchandise)—by citing a speech that Biden gave in 1986 calling for the torch to be passed to the next generation. “I’m still holding on to that torch,” Biden said, and a mini-melee erupted onstage. South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who has been talking for more than a year about how he doesn’t think Democrats can win by saying “back” or “again,” tried to get in with, “As the youngest guy on the stage, I feel like I probably ought to contribute …” before being cut off by Sanders saying, “As part of Joe’s generation, let me respond.” The moderators gave the time to Sanders, who argued that the question was about ideas, not age.
The contrasts can play out within a few minutes, like at that Planned Parenthood forum, when a woman spoke emotionally about having three abortions after being assaulted by an ex-husband and while in the military, pressing Biden on how he changed his position on the Hyde Amendment. Biden’s initial answer struck some in the audience as patronizing, given who would be in the crowd at a Planned Parenthood primary event. In short, he made the issue about him: “First of all, a lot of you women, maybe a lot of the men out here don’t realize what incredible courage it took to stand up and say that—because the fact of the matter is that when you recall … The reason I wrote the Violence Against Women Act in the first place, and I wrote it, was because of what I’ve seen, what I understand happening, going into neighborhoods and communities and it knows no color, it knows no bounds, it knows no ethnicity. For you to stand and recall that, brings it all back immediately.”

What he said after that, though, went further. Biden spoke passionately about how he thought that the woman’s ex-husband should be in jail. He cited statistics about transgender women being killed. He stumbled a little bit—much like he stumbled at the debate last Thursday, still trying to keep up with staff who have been pushing him to squeeze his senatorial answers into 30 seconds—but told the woman he wanted to talk with her in person backstage and learn from her about what he didn’t know.

Only by changing the Constitution do you change the age requirements for President either for running or when you can't run. Go ahead get Congress to create the amendment then get 37 States to agree, otherwise quit your whining.

Given the arrival of AOC on the political scene we should consider raising the minimum age a person has to be to run for president to at least 45.
She's still wearing diapers. Some of us know, because she keeps on peeing on the constitution. Maybe she lied about her age. After all, Obama lied about his past, most of which is still on lock-down. The new rage with Dummies, I mean, Demmies is to never never tell the truth.

Forum List

Back