Anywhere else here like Anime?

Not so much martial arts, as focusing mostly on fighting in general. Dragon Ball Z, D. Grey Man, Soul Eater, Darker than Black. I suppose calling it a genre isn't specific enough.

I actually read some manga, too, what have you read?

I guess I was being too specific regarding action. My bad. DBZ always seemed a bit juvenile to me, never got into it. Grey Man & Soul Eater I have not seen. Darker than Black, yes, I did like that. Chase down a copy of Gunsmith Cats. That is the sort of action that I am into, (girls with guns, bombs & fast classic cars, w/no fan service). It is a mini series, maybe an hour & a half long.

Mangas? A bunch. At one time I had about 20 odd Evangelions. Silent Mobius, MAR, Mahoromatic, Akira, Claymore, GITS, of course, bunch of others. About the only one I have left is the Kodansha Bilingual Ghost in the Shell, that I picked up at 1/2 price books for $7USD. (the version w/ Motoko's drug induced shipboard lez sex session not cut out as it was in the US version)
I thought DBZ was fun, the anime just kept getting ahead of the manga, so they spend entire episodes powering up or doing some other mundane activity.

Oh, I've read MAR and watched the Claymore anime. Raki was so annoying, I kept hoping he'd die through the entire series. Though, the anime never concluded.

(Raki was so annoying, I kept hoping he'd die through the entire series)-> Lol :). I admit, he was a tad annoying, but I had to respect Claire's feelings about him. I just realized I didn't even have that anime included in myanimelist; I've been kind of lazy about adding animes to my list, but I've added that one now atleast :).
He was a damsel in distress, and absolutely worthless. I didn't respect anything about him, and Claire's feelings made no sense.

Not so much martial arts, as focusing mostly on fighting in general. Dragon Ball Z, D. Grey Man, Soul Eater, Darker than Black. I suppose calling it a genre isn't specific enough.

I guess I was being too specific regarding action. My bad. DBZ always seemed a bit juvenile to me, never got into it. Grey Man & Soul Eater I have not seen. Darker than Black, yes, I did like that. Chase down a copy of Gunsmith Cats. That is the sort of action that I am into, (girls with guns, bombs & fast classic cars, w/no fan service). It is a mini series, maybe an hour & a half long.

Mangas? A bunch. At one time I had about 20 odd Evangelions. Silent Mobius, MAR, Mahoromatic, Akira, Claymore, GITS, of course, bunch of others. About the only one I have left is the Kodansha Bilingual Ghost in the Shell, that I picked up at 1/2 price books for $7USD. (the version w/ Motoko's drug induced shipboard lez sex session not cut out as it was in the US version)

I saw all the ghost in the shell animes, but I took a look at the first manga comic or so. I might get into it again sometime, but I admit in general, I only see the animes. The only exception I've ever made to that is Arpeggio of Blue Steel. I loved that anime and it was over far too soon in my view, so I made an exception in that case and read the manga for it.

I thought DBZ was fun, the anime just kept getting ahead of the manga, so they spend entire episodes powering up or doing some other mundane activity.

Oh, I've read MAR and watched the Claymore anime. Raki was so annoying, I kept hoping he'd die through the entire series. Though, the anime never concluded.

(Raki was so annoying, I kept hoping he'd die through the entire series)-> Lol :). I admit, he was a tad annoying, but I had to respect Claire's feelings about him. I just realized I didn't even have that anime included in myanimelist; I've been kind of lazy about adding animes to my list, but I've added that one now atleast :).
He was a damsel in distress, and absolutely worthless. I didn't respect anything about him, and Claire's feelings made no sense.

I was actually going to say -exactly that-, that he had a lot of elements of the 'damsel in distress' :p. But I wouldn't say he was absolutely worthless- there was an episode where Claire almost becomes an awakened being, and knights are about to kill her, but he risks his life to persuade the knights not to kill her.

Sorry gang... have to make this a short reply tonight, been up since like 0500hrs working on a 930 Turbo that blew up during a wine & cheese rally, which has left me with a screaming headache...
Glad you all like the KMFDM/Anime videos. Here is their classic featuring splices from the first Patlabor film. A must see if you have not had the opportunity.

The first thing I can remember watching which was at all anime-like was Robotech.

There are a few anime films I've enjoyed. Ghost in the Shell, Fist of the North Star (so ridiculous, but somehow still fun), Ninja Scroll, Dark City. The little girl I nanny actually just watched The Last Unicorn a few days ago, odd coincidence to see it mentioned in here. I enjoyed the Helsing series. Akira of course, although I don't like the movie as much as many others seem to. The 2 Vampire Hunter D movies.

I don't like watching with subtitles so my anime watching is always somewhat limited. I also don't much care for the silly, childish humor that often seems to be part of anime. I was going to try watching Death Note but still haven't gotten to it. Cartoon Network has a block of anime they put on.

The first thing I can remember watching which was at all anime-like was Robotech.

Are you talking about this?

There are a few anime films I've enjoyed. Ghost in the Shell

I've watched all Ghost in the Shell films and tv series, good stuff :).

Fist of the North Star (so ridiculous, but somehow still fun)

I've found that about a lot of anime; it makes me laugh with its ridiculousness and gets into my heart :p.

Ninja Scroll, Dark City.

Dark City was an anime? I only saw the live action film:

I liked it quite a bit.

The little girl I nanny actually just watched The Last Unicorn a few days ago, odd coincidence to see it mentioned in here.

Cool :). What did you think of it? And can you see how its animation has elements of anime? I guess cartoons today have blended more now, but it definitely was a fairly unconventional back in its day. I also loved the story line; it frequently helps to be based on a book with a lot to draw on (I still haven't read the book).

I enjoyed the Helsing series.

The original, or the new one? I loved the original, still haven't seen the new one. I've been told the new one's better, but I just didn't like the way Aducard acted towards the female cop-turned vamp from the very beginning and so stopped watching it. I may gave it another go though, I think PR likes it :).

Akira of course, although I don't like the movie as much as many others seem to.

I watched a bit of it, couldn't get into it. The first anime I knew was an anime (as opposed to "The Last Unicorn", which combined anime elements with a more American style) was the original Evangelion, liked it a lot :).

The 2 Vampire Hunter D movies.

Couldn't get into the Vampire Hunter tv series, never tried the movies.

I don't like watching with subtitles so my anime watching is always somewhat limited.

I prefer having them dubbed myself (so long as they're dubbed well), but if I like an anime, I'll do subtitles (so long as they aren't too mangled :p).

I also don't much care for the silly, childish humor that often seems to be part of anime. I was going to try watching Death Note but still haven't gotten to it.

My 17 year old niece read the start of the manga from a friend, and liked it, but I just couldn't get into it. The main character starts out seeing things too black and white in my view.

Cartoon Network has a block of anime they put on.

Cool :)

Are you talking about this?

Yeah, the Robotech that was on network TV back in the 80s. That's the first anime-style thing I recall watching, and I loved that show as a kid. :)

Dark City was an anime? I only saw the live action film:

Hah! No, I didn't mean Dark City (although that was good), I actually meant Wicked City. :lol:

Cool :). What did you think of it? And can you see how its animation has elements of anime? I guess cartoons today have blended more now, but it definitely was a fairly unconventional back in its day. I also loved the story line; it frequently helps to be based on a book with a lot to draw on (I still haven't read the book).

I didn't watch most of it, I just saw her watching it with her mother. I think I may have seen it as a child; it seemed a bit familiar.

The original, or the new one? I loved the original, still haven't seen the new one. I've been told the new one's better, but I just didn't like the way Aducard acted towards the female cop-turned vamp from the very beginning and so stopped watching it. I may gave it another go though, I think PR likes it :).

I watched the original Helsing. I started the new one, but I had just watched the original when I did and they are close enough that it didn't seem worth watching at that point. From the first episode (or maybe two, I can't remember if I watched the second) I thought that there were some things done better and some not so good. It was nice to have the same voice cast.

I watched a bit of it, couldn't get into it. The first anime I knew was an anime (as opposed to "The Last Unicorn", which combined anime elements with a more American style) was the original Evangelion, liked it a lot :).

I couldn't stand Evangelion. A friend was a big fan but I just thought it was a huge disappointment. What looked like it would be a good mech style movie ended up filled with a bunch of pre-teen silliness. :p

Couldn't get into the Vampire Hunter tv series, never tried the movies.

The first movie was OK, the second was actually better I think. Or maybe it was just better art, it's been a while.

I also enjoyed Blood The Last Vampire. I can't remember if I ever watched any of the series, Blood+ or Blood C. There have been some other anime movies that I enjoyed but don't remember because it's been so long.

I do remember seeing some of Oratsukidoji (is that spelled right?), The Legend of the Overfiend. That was just filled with crazy tentacle crap and the protagonist ends up turning into a giant monster destroying the world by shooting energy beams out of his multiple penises. :rofl: Sometimes the Japanese are just odd!

I found one other person in this board that likes them, thought I'd see if anyone else does. For those who aren't aware, Animes are: "a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children."

Some are really only for adults, while others are for the whole family. It's not for everyone, but I've loved anime before I even knew its name: when I was a kid, I loved "The Last Unicorn", not knowing that the animation team had some anime artists in it. If you've never heard of animes, but would like to check one out, let me know and I can try to figure out what type of anime would suit you. Even the famous movie reviewer Roger Ebert likes a few, such as this one:

If you already like animes, I'd like to know what your favourites are and/or a recent anime series that you watched/are watching and you really like, and why. My own list of animes I've seen, as well as the ranks I gave them, can be seen here:
Scott75's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

I've watched some anime like Senran Kagura, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Inuyasha, Naruto Shippuden, High School DxD, Kill La Kill, DBZ, DBGT to name a few.

I found one other person in this board that likes them, thought I'd see if anyone else does. For those who aren't aware, Animes are: "a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children."

Some are really only for adults, while others are for the whole family. It's not for everyone, but I've loved anime before I even knew its name: when I was a kid, I loved "The Last Unicorn", not knowing that the animation team had some anime artists in it. If you've never heard of animes, but would like to check one out, let me know and I can try to figure out what type of anime would suit you. Even the famous movie reviewer Roger Ebert likes a few, such as this one:

If you already like animes, I'd like to know what your favourites are and/or a recent anime series that you watched/are watching and you really like, and why. My own list of animes I've seen, as well as the ranks I gave them, can be seen here:
Scott75's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

I've watched some anime like Senran Kagura, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Inuyasha, Naruto Shippuden, High School DxD, Kill La Kill, DBZ, DBGT to name a few.

Of the ones you've mentioned, I saw and liked the first season of High School DxD. However, I felt that the second season lost its way, especially at one particular point, and didn't finish it. I've only seen part of Inuyasha. I thought it was ok, but I just couldn't finish it at the time.

Forum List

Back