Anyone worried about Gene splicing and Gene manipulation?

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
We have bio engineered crops, human and plant and animal gene splicing going on. Is anyone worried about the results of these kinds of projects?

$1 Million Price Tag in Spotlight on Gene Therapy...
eek.gif

$1 Million Price Tag in Spotlight as Gene Therapy Becomes Reality
November 16, 2017 — Battle lines are being drawn as the first gene therapy for an inherited condition nears the U.S. market, offering hope for people with a rare form of blindness and creating a cost dilemma for health care providers.
Spark Therapeutics, whose Luxturna treatment has been recommended for U.S. approval, told investors last week there was a case for valuing it at more than $1 million per patient, although it has yet to set an actual price. However, the U.S. Institute for Clinical and Economic Review (ICER) said this week "at a placeholder price of $1,000,000, the high cost makes this unlikely to be a cost-effective intervention at commonly used cost-effectiveness thresholds." The ICER analysis did concede Luxturna was likely to be more cost-effective for younger patients. The expected U.S. approval of Luxturna by Jan. 12 is seen as kick-starting the sector, following disappointing sales of the first two gene therapies in Europe.

More treatments based on fixing faulty genes using viruses to carry DNA into cells are coming from companies like Bluebird Bio, BioMarin and Sangamo. Spark's Chief Financial Officer Stephen Webster said Thursday that gene therapy was upending conventional thinking by offering a one-time cure, rather than years of repeat prescriptions, but health systems were struggling to keep pace. "Gene therapy creates an unusual conundrum because we are fitting a round peg in a square hole ... it's tough," he told a Jefferies health care conference in London.

D24524BD-9760-4FB6-A40B-066ECDDEFB3D_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Dr. Albert Maguire checks the eyes of Misa Kaabali, 8, at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Oct. 4, 2017. Misa was 4 years old when he received his gene therapy treatment.​

Spark would like to say "if it works, pay us, and if it stops working, stop paying us," Webster told the meeting. But for Luxturna, which cost some $400 million to develop, such an offer was impractical, given the mechanics of the U.S. system and a reluctance by big health plans to move away from upfront payments for rare disease drugs. Longer-term, pay-for-performance models could be adopted for hemophilia, where the benefits of one-time treatment can be weighed against the huge cost of regular infusions of blood-clotting factors, Webster said.

A one-off treatment would slash the need for such expensive care. But there are also indirect costs and quality of life benefits — especially in a condition like blindness — that manufacturers argue should be recognized. Nightstar Therapeutics CEO David Fellows, whose company is also developing gene therapies for eye disorders, said calculating gene therapy's true value was not easy. "Trying to capture all this into some sort of price algorithm is very challenging. But we are trying to quantify the emotional impact, the care-giver impact, the effect on careers and so on," he told the conference.

$1 Million Price Tag in Spotlight as Gene Therapy Becomes Reality

We have bio engineered crops, human and plant and animal gene splicing going on. Is anyone worried about the results of these kinds of projects?

Not really.

We've been using selective breeding for centuries to get the results we want.

Here's a wild Turkey.

turkey_paredes.jpg

And here's a domestic one.

Male_north_american_turkey_supersaturated.jpg

Oh, wait, no, HERE is a domestic one.

Thanksgiving-Dinner-Turkey.jpg
99% of domestic turkeys are white. I believe it has something to do with meat color.
Those look wild as hek. One is a gobbler strutting. The other is a hen. POSSIBLY a male but i dont see any spurs.
A small percentage of hen turkeys have beards.
Bad choice of pics lol

99% of domestic turkeys are white. I believe it has something to do with meat color.
Those look wild as hek. One is a gobbler strutting. The other is a hen. POSSIBLY a male but i dont see any spurs.
Bad choice of pics lol

I think it got my point across that domestic turkeys are nowhere near what evolution intended. Domesticated turkeys in the wild wouldn't live long enough to breed, they'd be picked off by predators because they'd be too fat and too slow.

As long as I don't have to pay some company an annual royalty because I have some patented gene edit, I'm alright with it. Though, they are working on genes that can be turned 'on and off.' Kind of like a switch. That's been in research for years and can be googled.

GMO, I don't like. For several reasons. Both scientifically and governmentally. That's likely another topic, though.

Last edited:
Bad choice of pics lol

I think it got my point across that domestic turkeys are nowhere near what evolution intended. Domesticated turkeys in the wild wouldn't live long enough to breed, they'd be picked off by predators because they'd be too fat and too slow.
I dont agree with the first sentence. The differences between them arent that much. Breast size, short legs, color and noise is about it.
If it wasnt for color, a human couldnt point out the differences in the woods..
The second sentence is very true.
BTW It doesnt get a point across when you post pictures that contradict what you type. Lol

BTW It doesnt get a point across when you post pictures that contradict what you type. Lol

Okay, so you are obviously one of these people who needs to contradict, otherwise you add nothing to the conversation.
Well, i did straighten out your ignorance. Your "point" was bullshit. Fake news, if you will.
You are welcome!

Yes and the huge companies will tell you just how safe it is, how it doesn't harm they are full of FKN SHIT

Corporations who can make billion do not give a dam about human health nor the ethics of it. Only the dollar signs and no you can't have faith in the gawd dam FDA, EPA either those fkrs are paid off pricks to cover up and tell the idiot public the same bull shit , because they to get kick backs.

Look at the story of Erin Brockovich where that corporation dumped posion into the water supply and it took her years and years to prove they caused all those people to get sick , get cancer, die

Look at Flint Mich. those POS pricks knew that crap was tainted with Lead ..............they knew it .

I'd be more worried if we weren't trying to use all the available technologies. Technology is like a gun, it can be used for both good and bad. Guns today are more dangerous than they were 200 years ago but also capable. (I'm thinking guns may not be the best analogy but you get my point.)

Corporations who can make billion do not give a dam about human health nor the ethics of it. Only the dollar signs and no you can't have faith in the gawd dam FDA, EPA either those fkrs are paid off pricks to cover up and tell the idiot public the same bull shit , because they to get kick backs.

Look at the story of Erin Brockovich where that corporation dumped posion into the water supply and it took her years and years to prove they caused all those people to get sick , get cancer, die

Look at Flint Mich. those POS pricks knew that crap was tainted with Lead ..............they knew it .

Except you haven't proven any science yet of why a GMO would be dangerous.

Forum List

Back