Anyone Using A Drone?

Discussion in 'Photography and Imaging' started by NoVote, May 29, 2019.

1. NoVote

NoVote Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    A good quality drone with a good camera mounted on a gimbal gives a perspective like no other. My Dad was a WW2 Army war photographer, so I had an early start. I have boxes of cameras, prefering new Canon DSLR's, but last summer I popped for a Phantom 3 Pro Drone and never looked back. I don't use it for stills, although it will take 12Mp stills, I use it for aerial videos, like this one;

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. JGalt

JGalt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38,877
    I bought 5 of those cheap "Call of Duty" toy camera drones a couple years back when they closed them out for $25 apiece, at Wally World.

Two of them flew off never to be seen again, the other three ended up in a tree.

:laughing0301:

3. NoVote

NoVote Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    LOL, I got 3 lost Phantom 3's in trees dotted around Western Wisconsin. That was just last summer. Trees love drones.

4. Dekster

Dekster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    Like most aircraft crashes-----pilot error :abgg2q.jpg:

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  5. NoVote

NoVote Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    What's worse is, I searched for hours and never found even 1 again. I saw and heard them hit,fall, and disappear. :confused-84:

6. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,002
    Cheap drones are harder to fly than the more expensive ones. Why? Because the cheap ones don't have auto stabilization, which keeps the drone steady when it's flying. If you want one with auto stabilization, you have to go north of 300, with most of them being 700 to 1,000 each.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. NoVote

NoVote Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    GPS is the secret.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,002
    Actually, you need auto stabilization more than you need GPS. Besides, most people fly their drones where they can still see them.

Propeller design and placement also has a significant impact on how stable a drone will be.

9. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,600
    I didn't catch it, but did he say what kind of drone that was? I've been looking at them, but hard to justify the $500 at this time.

10. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,002
    You know, I look at drones the same way I look at bicycles, you get what you pay for. When I was young, I used to ride 100 dollar Huffy bikes, but when I got older, I started spending a lot more on quality rides, made from stuff like aluminum and carbon fiber, with high grade (and high dollar) components on it.

My ex wife asked why I spent so much on bicycles, and I told her that if I bought a department store Huffy for 100 dollars, I would end up buying another one in about 2 months because of the amount I rode, it would simply wear the bike out.

If you spend 50 to 100 dollars on a drone, you get what you paid for, a toy that you might lose interest in after only a short time, because it will be difficult to fly, as well as may or may not come with a camera.

If you spend 500 or more, not only do you get a better quality machine, but you also get the software and other things that it needs to be auto stabilizing, meaning the drone will do most of the work of flying and keeping it stable, you just have to tell it where to go. Cheaper drones don't have that and can be VERY hard to fly, especially in moderate winds.

So, if you are hesitant to buy the more expensive one, remember that cheap doesn't necessarily mean that you are coming out ahead. It might end up being more expensive in the long run.