Anyone pick up the new Metallica album today?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I hear it's pretty good, reminscent of the black album. I won't buy it since I think they're a bunch of douchebags. I'll just wait until I can get someone to burn me a copy.

Im going to download it. Fuck metallica. I guarantee it's no better than load (of shit)

You want a real metal band whose balls have not tarnished with age? pick up Slayer's latest album.

Pretty much everything after ...Justice blew chunks.. They turned into a bunch of pansy-ass wannabe's...

Yeah, how is "reminiscent of the Black album" supposed to be enticing?

listening through it now. I'll post more after i've digested it this weekend.

still digesting it. listened to the album 4 times this weekend. Im trying real hard not to hold their last 10 years against them. riffs seem a bit too schizophrenic in an open attempt to recapture the original magic. There are some pretty good parts though. The tone of the guitars is grittier than Load but less overdriven than anything up to Justice. I'd say it's a solid 7.5 out of 10 so far.

• Banned
The Black Album is one of their best. THAT is where the line is drawn, IMO. I don't own anything they've done after that.

I agree. Even though with the Black Album it was clear they were trying to go more mainstream (i.e "sell out" :eek:), it was and still is a great album.

Metallica hasn't put out a good album since And Justice For All.

After that the Black album came out. What a commercial piece of crap that was. That album was the beginning of the end.

Since then it's been one mainstream turd after the other. Oh how I long for the hard, heavy, old-school Metallica. Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, And Justice for All and their best one, Master of Puppets. Those were masterpieces. The Black album started the circling of the drain in the toilet.

I did pick up the new Slipknot CD. Highly reccomend it.

Last edited:
I've had my free copy long enough to have listened to it twice. I can't say if and when I'll get to a third. In a word...unimpressive. It has the stink of desperation throughout. Deperately attempting to un-jump the shark, and well, that's just not possible.

I thought it was great! Much better than St. Anger that's for sure.
It's pretty funny though that some people call the latest stuff from them "commercial", isn't it all commercial? Isn't that the point of recording an album, to sell copies? Metallica doesn't strike me as a band searching for the latest Top 40 Hit so I don't see what the wailing and gnashing of teeth is all about.
Every Led Zeppelin album was different but that didn't stop me from buying them all. I loved Physical Graffiti, hated In Through The Out Door. Seems like the variety of music made them a better band.
If you want to listen to the same album every time stick with AC/DC!

Enough ranting for now! :D

From South Park:

Kyle: What is a sellout?

Stan: If you work in the entertainment industry, and you make money, you're a sellout.

I've had my free copy long enough to have listened to it twice. I can't say if and when I'll get to a third. In a word...unimpressive. It has the stink of desperation throughout. Deperately attempting to un-jump the shark, and well, that's just not possible.

I kinda agree with yu on that point. There seems to be a schizophrenic desperation to recapture what once was in order to retain their credibility. I mean, it's no Load (of shit) or Some Kind of (retarded) Monster but it sure as hell isn't Master of Puppets. In fact, I caught a few riffs and chord progressions ripped strat from their earliest albums. Death Magnetic may very well be for Metal music what sportscars are to middle aged, receding hairline male libidos. Hopeful yet sad.

I haven't heard the album, but I've heard about half the songs on the Youtube and I was pretty stoked, if only because it actually sounded like a metal album, and not like a piece of shit. Might acquire it somehow soon.

I agree. Even though with the Black Album it was clear they were trying to go more mainstream (i.e "sell out" :eek:), it was and still is a great album.

That was their first actual studio production album, IIRC. Not sure if I like it or Ride the Lightining best.

I AM sure Load and Re-load were crap though. :lol:

Forum List

Back