Anyone here part of an interfaith relationship?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by stoor, Nov 25, 2004.

1. stoor

stoor Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not talking about Methodist with a Baptist or an Orthodox with a Progressive, I am talking about a Muslim with a non-Muslim or Christian with a a non-Christian. If so, what are your thoughts and any advice? Thanks.

2. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I wrote a really nice response, tho' a bit long. Instead......
    I've known quite a few who have been in such relationships, Christian w/non-Christian. I never felt more alone than when I was at church without my mate.
    I would say that the odds are for you if you chose someone with the same belief system you have; God, morals, child rearing, work ethic. But then, what do I know?

3. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I am Hindu. We had two wedding ceremonies on consecutive days. My parents sat through the Christian ceremony respectfully, and hers sat through the Hindu one equally respectfully, though less comfortably, since sitting cross-legged didn't come easily to them. Her brother somehow located the required large number of marigolds for the Indian ceremony.

We talked, and agreed that she could take our child(ren) to church or Sunday school as she wished, as long as she didn't mind any amount of Hindu input they got from me. Indians are open-minded about religion--they'll take any excuse to celebrate God. I tend to attend Mass with her on the major holidays. One of the best we ever attended was in New Delhi, with several thousand people, at least half of them not actually Christian, celebrated Christmas. The music was a tiny Indian harmonium, the tent decorated with Xmas lights, and the spirit pure joy.

I think that it can work fine as long as there's no religious intolerance in either spouse's viewpoint. It's when someone thinks his/her religion is better than someone else's that troubles ensue--both in marriage and among nations.

Mariner.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    It's great that you two are tolerant of each other--does your wife feel threatened when the ACLU tries to persecute her expression of Christianity but supports Hinduism as an expression of diversity?

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    My ex is protestant, and I'm Catholic. This didn't pose any problems since neither of us are strident church goers ect. His mother on the other hand (who never goes to church either!) used to make the snidest rudest remarks about catholics - sometimes I wanted to punch her (well, most of the time I wanted to punch her, nothing new there I guess). Her ignorance towards me, and lack of knowledge about her own supposed faith was unbelievable.

6. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    I guess I'm in an interfaith relationship. I believe I'm always right. That's because I believe I'm smart. Also, I believe I should always get my way.

Joz, alas, believes differently.

7. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

Some people are just so closed minded. I have the same problem.

8. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

LOL! Pepole who think they know everything are so annoying to those of us who actually DO!

9. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    When I was 12, I had a shirt that said that - seriously. :D

10. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

Hey, if it makes it's way to a t-shirt, it's GOTTA be true!