Anyone here part of an interfaith relationship?

Joz said:
I still hold fast that I think it is important for a couple to have the same belief system. It doesn't have to be exact. But I still think that belief in God vs Atheism is not a good foundation. A person who does not believe in abortion is not going to be able to unite with a person who does. There will always be contention between a man who believes a woman should help support the family & woman who wants to be a stay-at-home mom.

So, with that said, are you saying our relationship is doomed because I don't see things your way? Nothing is a sure thing. But I do know this. There is a God. And you're not it.

SMILE when you say that, pretty mama!

but I don't feel like we are making the progress that we need to. That is partially my fault but it is disheartening when I give her a book about the religion and it sits in the nightstand desk for two months. Maybe I am too scared to realize that she really isn't interested for herself but is showing interest for me. I don't know. I just don't want my kids to have to rely on a religious school to teach them their religion. I would rather them see that in their home 24/7. I guess we need to put more effort into introducing her to the religion. I'll have to talk to her.

I am a Christian and when my wife and I married, my wife was Buddhist. We even had a traditional Korean wedding ceremony and all.

(Yep, I wore one of these!) :bat:
TC870331.jpg

I have always considered myself a Christian and I hold a deep faith in Christ even though I know I am faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from a perfect Christian and I almost never go to Church. I just pray and hold my faith close to me and I try to share it in a non-threatening way to those that are open to listening to my beliefs. That is also how I always handled my religion with my wife. When we would go to temples, I would be respectful of her beliefs and so when we moved to America, she started going to Christian Chruches, usually for more of a social event than anything but also to find out what Christianity was about. I would go once in a while, but mostly not and she has now come to embrace Christ on her own. We still respect many of her old customs just out of respect for her roots.

We didn't have kids, but we adopted her nephew. He was raised pretty much agnostic. His mother is one of those that is going to a Buddhist Temple on Saturday and Catholic Mass on Sunday while she "searches" for whatever is going to bring her the best luck. She loves the fortune tellers! Anyway, he has started going to Christian Prayer gatherings on Friday nights with a group of kids from his high school. I never pushed Christianity on him, but we did take him to see the Passion of Christ and he started asking questions and I told him what I could. It was the girl that finally got him the most interested though! lol

I guess what I am getting at is that it is best to just let things flow. Don't push one way or another and the right way will come along. Just keep in mind, I am not sure which one of you is the "Muslim". If you are a woman and not a Muslim, keep in mind that there have been a lot of kidnappings of children by Muslim fathers that married and had kids with non-Muslim women. And once they get to a Muslim country, give up getting them back.

freeandfun1 said:
I am a Christian and when my wife and I married, my wife was Buddhist. We even had a traditional Korean wedding ceremony and all.

(Yep, I wore one of these!) :bat:
TC870331.jpg

You actually wore that? I'm impressed. Really.

Patriot said:
I agree with everything you say. Although I accidently slip up and NOT call out my husbands name in the throes of passion and accidentally call him God instead. HAHAHAHA
Now there you go, reaffirming his inclination. Whose side are you on, anyway? :)

and I have no inclination to kidnap my children from my potential wife. Not many Muslim men do. As for your nephew accepting the Christian life. It is not strange for him to find Christianity. It is everywhere here in the US (even California and Massachusetts). I think it is easy to say let things flow if you are a Christian in a predominantly Christian country. Almost all of the religious information he will get will be Christianity. Just like it wouldn't be strange for an agnostic to accept Islam in southeast Asia or the middle east. I think my situation is different in that my children would not be interacting with children of my faith unless I sent them to a religious school.

stoor said:
and I have no inclination to kidnap my children from my potential wife. Not many Muslim men do. As for your nephew accepting the Christian life. It is not strange for him to find Christianity. It is everywhere here in the US (even California and Massachusetts). I think it is easy to say let things flow if you are a Christian in a predominantly Christian country. Almost all of the religious information he will get will be Christianity. Just like it wouldn't be strange for an agnostic to accept Islam in southeast Asia or the middle east. I think my situation is different in that my children would not be interacting with children of my faith unless I sent them to a religious school.

what you teach at home and what they learn at Friday services is how they will develop. I had a friend growing up in the south that was the only Jew I knew until I was much older. He and his family practiced their religion at home and they would drive the 50 miles or more to the closest Synagogue once in a while, but other than that..... Most Christians grow up in this country self-identifying themselves as being Christian while fundamentally, they might not truly have any idea about Christianity. As they grow, they either learn to accept their born-into religion, or reject it. That is part of growing up in America and frankly, a part of "free-will".

Joz said:
Now there you go, reaffirming his inclination. Whose side are you on, anyway? :)

I am on yours but thought a little humor injected would get him off the hook? Or is your hubby like mine and is truely arrogant and deserves everything he gets?

Patriot said:
Or is your hubby like mine and is truely arrogant and deserves everything he gets?

I'll get serious. But only for a minute.

Musicman says he's arrogant but I don't think that's it. I look it is as confidence, something he doesn't lack, at least when it comes to music. He is a wonderful talent, singer/drummer/songwriter. Has perfect pitch. There isn't a sound that can be made that he can't tell you what key it's in. On a stage he's king. Off..........

There are four stages of a man's life: Believes in Santa--Doesn't believe in Santa--Is Santa--Looks like Santa.

musicman said:
Joz forgot stage five;

Has long, detailed CONVERSATIONS with Santa....

You mean that's all? No other comment? No thanks? No gee, I'm blushing?

I was hoping for a little :kiss2: Damn.

New Topics

Forum List

Back