Anyone here ever have a distal bicep tear?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
In the ongoing experience with Canadian "Healthcare", this one has astonished me. Incompetence isn't the word, this is outright criminal. There is a reason I only see a doctor once a decade, and as fate would have it, my recent criticism of our system rings quite true.

I was referred to have an MRI done by the original doctor at the hospital, though I had to wait a weeks time. The second doctor I meet a week later orders a ultrasound, which provides far less detail. I have a visible gap between my elbow and bicep that wasn't there, and it's either a full tear or a partial tear of the tendon,, with fraying if it isn't a full tear, I've done my homework on this and I feel the extreme pain. The second doctor didn't even assume it was a distal but assumed it was a standard bicep tear (if anything), which impacts the shoulder.

Oddly, he tells me he's "not sure if there is a tear or not, there might be a partial tear, I cant say for sure" (which was the bloody reason I needed an MRI, even the nurse was confused with the change in the test). He then tells me to put ice on it and come back in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, the MRI which the first doctor at the hospital had recommended when I went to the Emergency Room (and have to wait a full week to actually have the MRI done, even when it was an empty room when I went), ends up being a weaker test with no certainty.

It hurts like noones business and I have some limited movement and pain in many movements. There is no way I should have been denied full treatment under the circumstances. With my wife potentially looking at a knee replacement, I already have to do all of the heavy work around the house, I have to do it all now with one arm, rather than getting surgery and working through the rehab to full strength.

If anyone has experienced something like this I would love to hear your advice and experience.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back