Anyone fishing for trout yet?

Trout season last all year long here. The higher elevation lakes still have ice on them, but it has become to thin to be trusted to fish through.
The lower lakes are free of ice, and the fishing is ok, not great. When the snowpack melts, and the water starts flowing through the lower lakes, it will get better.
When the ice breaks on the upper lakes, the fishing usually is good for about 3 weeks, if you can withstand the high winds we normally get in the spring.
I am looking forward to catching that big brookie on my favorite rapala.
An, UScitizen, det cord doesn't work as well as an M80. Of course calcium carbide and rocks in a tin can with holes punched in it is much quieter and attract much less attention.

Trout season last all year long here. The higher elevation lakes still have ice on them, but it has become to thin to be trusted to fish through.
The lower lakes are free of ice, and the fishing is ok, not great. When the snowpack melts, and the water starts flowing through the lower lakes, it will get better.
When the ice breaks on the upper lakes, the fishing usually is good for about 3 weeks, if you can withstand the high winds we normally get in the spring.
An, UScitizen, det cord doesn't work as well as an M80. Of course calcium carbide and rocks in a tin can with holes punched in it is much quieter and attract much less attention.

Ture true..

You know of Carbide? Handy substance there.

But det cord with a rock every few feet works fine.

Ture true..

You know of Carbide? Handy substance there.

But det cord with a rock every few feet works fine.

Yeah, it works.
The CC is a little easier to get and cheaper though.
Two lengths of 1/2" copper pipe and a car battery works well in a stream.

I still prefer my red rapala from my kayak, much more sporting.

I have my boat in the workshop. Waiting on a new waterpump kit to arrive.
All trout here are just stocked ones. I would rather fly fish for Bass and Bluegill. But that is about a month off for here.

I do miss the Steelhead and Salmon fishing in Orygun though...

All trout here are just stocked ones. I would rather fly fish for Bass and Bluegill. But that is about a month off for here.

I fished the Rogue River for salmon a few years back, it was absolutely fantastic, I loved it. Holy shit was it expensive though. The tag for the salmon was almost 50 bucks. Of course, I was not a resident, so i am sure it is less if you are.
I did a bass tourney down at Roosevelt earlier this winter. I love to bass fish, but my favorite is trout. I did win back my entry fee and an additional 150 bucks though in the bass tourney.
In Az, a trout tournament is not legal, no idea why a bass tournament is and a trout tournament is not, but that's the way it is.
In 2002 I was in WI, and fished some small lakes for Northern Pike, what a blast. Here, they are considered an invasive species.......
Several years back I fished the SC lowlands for stripers, man o man what a blast, those are big fish. One day on Lake Moultrie I hooked an alligator. I was all for trying to bring it in, but my buddy was chicken and cut my line.

How about fresh crappie or bass ?

April4fishing013.jpg

Nice catch. But trout is much much better!

I have fished mostly in Eastern Oregon. Some steelhead, but mostly trout. In the headwaters of the John Day River. At the last family reunion in Prairie City, I was told that I would be disappointed, that the river did not have fish in it like when I fished it there over 55 years ago as a kid.

And I had noted that in the many trips the wife and I had made back there for the last two years that I had seen only one person fishing the the 54 miles of river in the valley.

So I went back the the headwaters where I fished as a kid. In the space of an hour, a 12" and 14' cutthroat. A 15", 16", and 18" Dolly Varden. The state calls them Bull Trout, and they are protected, so had to let them go. Actually, they are a char. Anyway, I hope everyone continues to believe that the river is fished out. Selfish, LOL.

Oregon, and the John Day country, are both very varied. Further down the river, some very fine small mouth fishing. I have been told that some channel cat are in the lower parts of the river also. I surely am looking forward to retirement.

Well it would be a pretty good drive for you, but Eagle Nest Lake in Northern New Mexico is still frozen over and offers excellent ice fishing. They grade off the lake so the fishermen can get out there. Stocked with rainbow year round, and, every once in a blue moon with some Cutthroat and brown trout too. Usually have to go on up the the Valle Vidal area between Taos and Raton for good stocks of Cutthroat and brown.

Some of the best fly fishing in the world though.

In Texas we fished mostly for catfish and THAT is the worlds best eating if you know how to fix it.

In Kansas we caught mostly crappie, bass, and occasionally a pike.

Went back to the headwaters of the John Day river where I grew up. It had been over 30 years since I had fished there. The river, really just a medium sized creek at that point, was some changed since I was last there.

My wife had not seen the river, or done that much fishing, so she was not at all sure of that 'little' creek producing fish. So she decided to time me. I flipped the hook with a night crawler on it upstream, meaning for it to swing by the rocks downstream. A trout took it immediatly, and ran directly at me after I hooked it. As it when by me, I flipped it out at my wife's feet. She looked at her watch, and then said, "35 seconds. That's ridiculous". A nice 14" cutthroat. In the next hour, I caught a 12" cutthroat, a 15", 16", and 18" Dolly Varden, or bull troat. Had to throw them back.

It was welcome home. Right now, as the market improves, I am preparing to sell my property in Portland, Oregon, and buy somewhere in Eastern Oregon. Hopefully, in the John Day Valley. Working as as a millwright at 66 in a steel mill is pushing it a bit.

And I will definately be doing a lot of fishing on the river. And in many of the high mountain lakes.

While maybe a middle sized creek at certain times of the year, the John Day is crazy at others. It hasn't changed much in the last 30 years. None that I can see.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yDWlEgqbEc[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back