Anyone familiar with K-lite codecs?

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
I've had this nagging problem with one laptop where playing videos causes the system to crash and throw up a blue screen. Not the ominous dark blue screen associated with computer heart disease but a lighter one that shows a giant frowny face emoticon and a message saying "your system ran into a problem and needs to close. We're just collecting some data and will restart for you". Then at the bottom it says 'if you want to research this problem search "system exception not handled" followed by some code that always disappears before I can write it down. This seems to happen when streaming videos, including ones embedded here. YouTube has become a minefield.

My computer guy advised trying another browser (this happens in Firefox) and cleaning caches, noting that Firefox and Chrome (?) render video different ways. I played with it a bit, made sure I had the latest browser update, didn't seem to solve it. The blue "exception not handled" screens would ebb and flow, sometimes I thought I got past them, then they'd start up again.

Meanwhile I have another laptop of the same vintage and maker (Toshiba) that plays any video I want and never crashes. I don't think it's a fix to give up and use another computer or another browser.

Yesterday before the blue screen happened I got a different crash. Instead of blue the screen went black, as if it was shutting down. Then it came back to the desktop advising the AMD Display Driver had recovered from a bad error. It put me back where I was but a little while later -- blue screen. When it came back up I checked the driver version and determined it was not an outdated version, it's already up to date.

Upon further research looking for the AMD Driver error (instead of looking for the "exception not handled" blue screen) I came across the advice to download the K-lite codec package. After checking it out (and establishing a restore point in case it didn't work) I did so and then went to surf several videos one after another, doing everything that usually brought the blue screen crash. Everything played and I haven't seen another blue screen so far.

Time will tell if it never comes back :eusa_pray: but I'm wondering, could this have been the problem all along? Could I have had a codec conflict that causes the whole system to shut down?

Anyone have any experience with this K-lite codec bundle or feedback on it?

TIA

Last edited:
I've had this nagging problem with one laptop where playing videos causes the system to crash and throw up a blue screen. Not the ominous dark blue screen associated with computer heart disease but a lighter one that shows a giant frowny face emoticon and a message saying "your system ran into a problem and needs to close. We're just collecting some data and will restart for you". Then at the bottom it says 'if you want to research this problem search "system exception not handled" followed by some code that always disappears before I can write it down. This seems to happen when streaming videos, including ones embedded here. YouTube has become a minefield.

My computer guy advised trying another browser (this happens in Firefox) and cleaning caches, noting that Firefox and Chrome (?) render video different ways. I played with it a bit, made sure I had the latest browser update, didn't seem to solve it. The blue "exception not handled" screens would ebb and flow, sometimes I thought I got past them, then they'd start up again.

Meanwhile I have another laptop of the same vintage and maker (Toshiba) that plays any video I want and never crashes. I don't think it's a fix to give up and use another computer or another browser.

Yesterday before the blue screen happened I got a different crash. Instead of blue the screen went black, as if it was shutting down. Then it came back to the desktop advising the AMD Display Driver had recovered from a bad error. It put me back where I was but a little while later -- blue screen.

Upon further research looking for the AMD Driver error (instead of looking for the "exception not handled" blue screen) I came across the advice to download the K-lite codec package. After checking it out (and establishing a restore point in case it didn't work) I did so and then went to surf several videos one after another, doing everything that usually brought the blue screen crash. Everything played and I haven't seen another blue screen so far.

Time will tell if it never comes back :eusa_pray: but I'm wondering, could this have been the problem all along? Could I have had a codec conflict that causes the whole system to shut down?

TIA
Don't know anything about the k-lite but from what you're saying it sounds like your display driver might be corrupted, either that or your graphics card is going bad. Try repairing it with your OS install disc first then run diagnostics from BIOs if it doesn't work.

Yesterday before the blue screen happened I got a different crash. Instead of blue the screen went black, as if it was shutting down. Then it came back to the desktop advising the AMD Display Driver had recovered from a bad error. It put me back where I was but a little while later -- blue screen.

TIA
Don't know anything about the k-lite but from what you're saying it sounds like your display driver might be corrupted, either that or your graphics card is going bad. Try repairing it with your OS install disc first then run diagnostics from BIOs if it doesn't work.

"OS install disc"? :lol: Way too late for that. Not competent to run BIOS diagnostics either but I'll suggest these to my computer guy if it returns.

Are we saying the codecs wouldn't have caused these crashes?

I could add that it's only streaming videos, never downloaded ones, that crash.

Couple of years ago my drivers for SoundForge got all corrupted and wouldn't perform any more and that's when I got the other laptop, for doing that work. This was well before video crashes but now I'm wondering if that might have been related :eusa_think:

Oh and I would be highly suspicious of relatively unknown 3rd party codecs, so much so that I personally would not even download them.

Oh and I would be highly suspicious of relatively unknown 3rd party codecs, so much so that I personally would not even download them.

Yeah I went in there with much trepidation and created the restore point before doing it. From what I could find it seems to work but if I come up with new issues I'll revert.

TIA

"OS install disc"? :lol: Way too late for that. Not competent to run BIOS diagnostics either but I'll suggest these to my computer guy if it returns.

Couple of years ago my drivers for SoundForge got all corrupted and wouldn't perform any more and that's when I got the other laptop, for doing that work. This was well before video crashes but now I'm wondering if that might have been related :eusa_think:
missed the part about online only...... Need another pot of coffee........
Try downloading and installing the latest graphics driver for your card even if it tells you your driver is up to date.

TIA

Try downloading and installing the latest graphics driver for your card even if it tells you your driver is up to date.

Do I need to uninstall the current one first? Because I tried that before going to K-lite, and it said there was no update newer than what I had so it wouldn't do it.

TIA

Do I need to uninstall the current one first? Because I tried that before going to K-lite, and it said there was no update newer than what I had so it wouldn't do it.
First download the latest driver version from the manufacturer and save it to a thumb drive or disc. You can uninstall then reinstall but you'll have to reboot into Safe Mode after uninstalling. When booting up it will tell you New Hardware Found and ask if you want to install it, tell it no. Once it's booted up reinstall the manufactures driver(s) from the disc/thumb and reboot normally.
BTW what is the manufacturer and which OS are you using?

TIA

First download the latest driver version from the manufacturer and save it to a thumb drive or disc. You can uninstall then reinstall but you'll have to reboot into Safe Mode after uninstalling. When booting up it will tell you New Hardware Found and ask if you want to install it, tell it no. Once it's booted up reinstall the manufactures driver(s) from the disc/thumb and reboot normally.

Toshiba, Windows 8.1

Toshiba, Windows 8.1
Don't know much about 8.1 and it appears Toshiba does not have a diagnostics tool in BIOs but it does include one with their machines.
TOSHIBA PC Diagnostic Tool Utility

Now it probably will not tell you "your graphics card has a problem" but it will generally provide a code that can be researched online. Or (say) if the hard drive is going bad you most likely will see something like; "Short Test Fail". Oh and most diagnostics tests will take an hour or more to complete.

Install the k-lite codecs, Pogo.

Because you're derp like that.

In reality, they're worthless.
What you have to do is catch the video before it starts, right-click it and uncheck hardware acceleration or something like that.

It may take 2-3x before you catch it just right.

Install the k-lite codecs, Pogo.

Because you're derp like that.In reality, they're worthless.
What you have to do is catch the video before it starts, right-click it and uncheck hardware acceleration or something like that.

It may take 2-3x before you catch it just right.

Back here in the world of reality I've been catching up on videos sent me and sending out others in exchange. Video after video after video. Nary a hitch. No crashes at all.

Yesterday before the blue screen happened I got a different crash. Instead of blue the screen went black, as if it was shutting down. Then it came back to the desktop advising the AMD Display Driver had recovered from a bad error. It put me back where I was but a little while later -- blue screen. When it came back up I checked the driver version and determined it was not an outdated version, it's already up to date.

TIA
Youtube uses HTML5 video that your browser already supports. Installing a codec pack for media players will not prompt Youtube to use another codec.

Forum List

Back