Websites blocking content if you are using Ad Blocker...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
...anyone know a get around to this yet?
Many sites now placing up large red banner wanting you to allow adblock on their site. If I really want to read something I just put the page on "Read Mode" and it goes away, but don't really want to do that all the time.

Many sites now placing up large red banner wanting you to allow adblock on their site. If I really want to read something I just put the page on "Read Mode" and it goes away, but don't really want to do that all the time.
I just move on to a different site so no, I have no idea how to get around it.

There are a few sites I just know to even avoid their links like The Atlantic when it comes up for this reason. The good thing about the internet is that everybody shares everybody else's content so you can usually find the same info somewhere else.

A short Google search gave me Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey add ons to help alleviate your adblock blocker problem.

I have 3 browsers installed (IE, Chrome, and Firefox.

I use adblocker in Chrome and FireFox for speed and most of the sites I visit don't have an issue with adblocker. I keep IE without AB for on the very rare occasion I want to go to a site that won't load because AB, I paste the URL into IE to read it.

So normal surfing in Chrome or FireFox, special visits in IE.

Works for me.

>>>>

A short Google search gave me Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey add ons to help alleviate your adblock blocker problem.

It looks like, and I could be wrong, that this is an app to manage userscripts...so a person can edit how each website page appears. Too much work for me :)

Depends on the site. It's easy to turn it off for individual sites.
But more and more sites are blocking Adblock

I just turn adblock off for that specific site, while I'm viewing it. Then I turn it back on.

It's not that hard to do.

It isn't, but just thought maybe someone has seen an app that also filters out the red banner. My guess is ABP will find a way to block it sooner than later.

I think the websites and advertisers who insist on using ads that irritate users are just shooting themselves in the ass. I’ve read articles by website owners who think they can bully users into watching their horrible ads. They think they're right and the visitors using Ad Block are wrong. Period. And other websites think their visitors love their sites so much that they’ll tolerate any crappy ad they want to display. In any case, chasing away visitors doesn't sound like a winning strategy.

In the real world, advertisers work hard and long to find ways to produce ads that are attractive to potential customers. The last thing they want to do is irritate prospects with awful ads.

As another poster said, the same content can often be found at other sites. When I hit a website that whines about my using an Ad Blocker, I just head on down the road to another site. Usually I’ll have a page of search results in another tab, so similar content is just a click away.

Or, you can turn your Ad Blocker off, momentarily, as another poster said.

it's been going on for about a year now...

Lately it is a lot more pervasive and aggresive, not just a little red banner...but blocking the whole page until you unblock.
I believe monkrules is correct, annoying visitors into "do it or go away" is not a winning strategy.

Lately it is a lot more pervasive and aggresive, not just a little red banner...but blocking the whole page until you unblock.
I believe monkrules is correct, annoying visitors into "do it or go away" is not a winning strategy.
Well if you find an easy way let me know. I'm one of those people where the best and fastest way to lose a sale to me is to direct advertise to me particularly via computer, phone or door to door.

Well if you find an easy way let me know. I'm one of those people where the best and fastest way to lose a sale to me is to direct advertise to me particularly via computer, phone or door to door.

It is beyond ridiculous.
Anymore when I am using the internet at home I log out of Google (gmail is what we use at work, and I check email at home) And switch to Brave browser. After doing this I have definitely noticed a drop in "cross advertising"...where you look up something on one device you use, and ads for that very thing pop up on other devices you use...pisses me off to no end.
But alas, you can blame it all on millennials ;) ... they don't read a newspaper, books, look at magazines, they avoid mail and don't watch regular TV...so advertisers are going through great leaps to reach them...wait...that sounds like me..well I read books...

These addons work about 60% of the time (depends on the website). Mostly I just go to a different site!

BehindTheOverlay
NicolaeNMV/BehindTheOverlay
JavaScript Toggle On and Off (WebExtension) – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)
JavaScript Toggle On and Off

There is also some sort of addon for uBlock:
reek/anti-adblock-killer
Never tried it as I don't use uBlock.

I just move on to a different site so no, I have no idea how to get around it.

Me too, only douchey sites do that.

These addons work about 60% of the time (depends on the website). Mostly I just go to a different site!

BehindTheOverlay
NicolaeNMV/BehindTheOverlay
JavaScript Toggle On and Off (WebExtension) – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)
JavaScript Toggle On and Off

There is also some sort of addon for uBlock:
reek/anti-adblock-killer
Never tried it as I don't use uBlock.

I'm not clicking any links for software I've never heard of from a 15-post n00b. :eusa_naughty:

Adblock Plus and noscript, okay. I can vouch for those and they work. Not sure what you got going on there.

I've been on the internet since 1996.

Forum List

Back