Anyone a Plumber? :)

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Why would a toilet cease evacuating the bowl's contents quickly enough that the clean water coming in from the tank threatens to overflow the bowl? Waste buildup or something narrowing the pipes? What's a good cleaner to dissolve or otherwise clear that up? Haven't been able to flush my toilet for a while for fear of it overflowing (after it has a few times.) Been plungering things down to get the water level nearly empty then manually and just partially flushing so instead of a full cycle it just refills the bowl. Getting kinda tired of it though.

Why would a toilet cease evacuating the bowl's contents quickly enough that the clean water coming in from the tank threatens to overflow the bowl? Waste buildup or something narrowing the pipes? What's a good cleaner to dissolve or otherwise clear that up? Haven't been able to flush my toilet for a while for fear of it overflowing (after it has a few times.) Been plungering things down to get the water level nearly empty then manually and just partially flushing so instead of a full cycle it just refills the bowl. Getting kinda tired of it though.
Have you tried calling a plumber? If not, why not? Have you turned off the water and removed the toilet to see if there's something causing the problem?

Yes. Something is impeding the drain.

You could call a plumber, or you could rent a plumbing snake from the local Home Depot and clear it yourself. It might be messy though.

Last time I consulted a professional it was for what a few minutes on webmd suggested, a kidney stone. Except the doctors charged me $1200 to tell me what the internet did for free. :) So thinking of that, and figuring if water doesn't leave the bowl fast enough something's impeding it, and clearing the blockage is what needs ot be done, why call somoene who's likely to charge me for telling me what I already know and conceivably can fix myself? :)

Last time I consulted a professional it was for what a few minutes on webmd suggested, a kidney stone. Except the doctors charged me $1200 to tell me what the internet did for free. :) So thinking of that, and figuring if water doesn't leave the bowl fast enough something's impeding it, and clearing the blockage is what needs ot be done, why call somoene who's likely to charge me for telling me what I already know and conceivably can fix myself? :)

Then why did you ask us?

Then why did you ask us?

Because someone may have experience with it and sugegst something. For free. Hi, I'm Jewish, have we met? :)

It is possible to get a buildup on the inside of the pipes. There are several commercial cleaners on the market and you can buy a plumbers snake from any hardware store.

One of the things I do occasionally is to dump the contents of the ice tray into the toilet and then flush that down immediately. The benefit of doing that is that if there is any build up then the ice blocks will dislodge them. It the ice blocks get stuck they will just melt and drain away eventually. It also means that you are not dumping chemicals into the sewage system.

Aside from that call a plumber.

Then why did you ask us?

Because someone may have experience with it and sugegst something. For free. Hi, I'm Jewish, have we met? :)

Nothing free will fix that unless you already own the plumbing snake.

Are you in a house on a monolithic slab?

Apartment. Can ask the maint guys, but if I can dump something down the drain myself I hate inconveniencing people.
that's what they are there for....

One of the things. When they do plumbing work like htis I can't help but imagine they're thinking, "If I worked indepently, that could have earned a few hundred."

If I can do it myself, I'd rather do that. If there's no way to DIY clear 15 years of awful from the pipe I'll call in the pros. But I assume some toilet cleaners are good, others suck. And hoped some will have had this problem and be able to suggest something.

The snake has been employed here but for my kitchen sink. Seems I'm at the end of the pipe line and have got neighbors' sink stuff coming up in mine over the years. Don't think that's what's going on with the toilet though. :)

It is possible to get a buildup on the inside of the pipes. There are several commercial cleaners on the market and you can buy a plumbers snake from any hardware store.

One of the things I do occasionally is to dump the contents of the ice tray into the toilet and then flush that down immediately. The benefit of doing that is that if there is any build up then the ice blocks will dislodge them. It the ice blocks get stuck they will just melt and drain away eventually. It also means that you are not dumping chemicals into the sewage system.

They add chemicals to the sewage system when it gets to the collection tanks, just saying.

If you go to the hardware store they might sell you the small snake for sink drains and such. That probably won't do it. It needs the big snake with the motor attached, but D4E doesn't want to spend any money so....

That's kinda what I was hoping for. Something to do to clear the presumed blockage. Was thinking Alien blood to dissolve it, so I'm glad I asked instead :)

Are you in a house on a monolithic slab?

Apartment. Can ask the maint guys, but if I can dump something down the drain myself I hate inconveniencing people.
that's what they are there for....

One of the things. When they do plumbing work like htis I can't help but imagine they're thinking, "If I worked indepently, that could have earned a few hundred."

If I can do it myself, I'd rather do that. If there's no way to DIY clear 15 years of awful from the pipe I'll call in the pros. But I assume some toilet cleaners are good, others suck. And hoped some will have had this problem and be able to suggest something.

The snake has been employed here but for my kitchen sink. Seems I'm at the end of the pipe line and have got neighbors' sink stuff coming up in mine over the years. Don't think that's what's going on with the toilet though. :)

Wow dude, I already told you. You don't want to listen the go ahead and learn the hard way.

They add chemicals to the sewage system when it gets to the collection tanks, just saying.

If you go to the hardware store they might sell you the small snake for sink drains and such. That probably won't do it. It needs the big snake with the motor attached, but D4E doesn't want to spend any money so....

Hey if you enjoy spending money when you don't have to more power to ya :)

Hey if you enjoy spending money when you don't have to more power to ya :)

Unless you didn't describe your problem accurately, you are going to have to either bother the Super, or spend money. Neither of which you want to do. Decision time.

Forum List

Back