Anybody remember Drew Pearson?

my2¢

So it goes
May 14, 2010
Arizona's Maricopa County
There is a thread today regarding Rush Limbaugh that got me to remembering Drew Pearson (1897-1969) the syndicated newspaper columnists, not the football player. Would occasionally hear Pearson on radio and often heard my dad talking about a recent column. I'm more familiar with Jack Anderson, Pearson's assistant who would eventually take over the column.

Anyways for those interested in the political history when you have 25 minutes to spare I came across a 1957 Mike Wallace interview of Pearson thoughts on the politic events and politicians of that time. Stuff like should Eisenhower resign, Nixon, JFK, and a look back on how much the cold war was the center of things in the 50's and throughout the 60's.
Mike Wallace Interview Drew Pearson, Dec 7 1957 | Video | C-SPAN.org

Also came across Henry Kissinger's thoughts of a policy of limited war in a 1958 Mike Wallace interview.
Mike Wallace interview Henry Kissinger, Jul 13 1958 | Video | C-SPAN.org

It seems to me that journalism was way more about communication at that time. Questioners were more interested in answers than sound bites. And perhaps their cigarettes as Wallace exhibits.

There is a thread today regarding Rush Limbaugh that got me to remembering Drew Pearson (1897-1969) the syndicated newspaper columnists, not the football player. Would occasionally hear Pearson on radio and often heard my dad talking about a recent column. I'm more familiar with Jack Anderson, Pearson's assistant who would eventually take over the column.

Anyways for those interested in the political history when you have 25 minutes to spare I came across a 1957 Mike Wallace interview of Pearson thoughts on the politic events and politicians of that time. Stuff like should Eisenhower resign, Nixon, JFK, and a look back on how much the cold war was the center of things in the 50's and throughout the 60's.

Also came across Henry Kissinger's thoughts of a policy of limited war in a 1958 Mike Wallace interview.

It seems to me that journalism was way more about communication at that time. Questioners were more interested in answers than sound bites. And perhaps their cigarettes as Wallace exhibits.

I’m guessing it’s not the wide receiver for the Cowboys.

Interviewers have taken on the role of prosecutor it seems to me. They ask questions they only know the answer to (or think they do) and try to entrap the people they interview.

/---/ No I don't remember him but your questions evoked memory of another prognosticator who is no longer with us, Joe Pyne. He pioneered confrontational talk radio.
Joe Pyne - Wikipedia

No I don't remember him but your questions evoked memory of another prognosticator who is no longer with us, Joe Pyne. He pioneered confrontational talk radio.
Joe Pyne - Wikipedia
"Take a walk".
/—-/ I remember “Take a hike”
He had a tv show for a while. I heard he was confined to a wheel chair due to a war injury but I don't know if it was true. They said he never stood up during the show.

Joe Pyne, the face looks awfully familiar but isn't anybody I can pinpoint. Here's a clip and from what I can tell from it he appears as the predecessor of Jerry Springer which might explain my unfamiliarity with his schtick.

Forum List

Back