Anybody else in a drought?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I live in one of the "D3" level drought areas.
On one hand this summer has been nice in that not one weekend of the entire summer has been ruined by rain. Not one.
on the other hand - I have 1" wide cracks in my yard that are 13" deep.

I live in the deserts of the southwest so you could say I live in perpetual drought conditions!

Here's the rest of the country so you can se who else is sharing the misery with you.

US Drought Monitor

In Indianapolis, we normally have a pretty rainy summer, but not this year. We haven't had a good all day soaker in months. I think it was July. Lately we've had some sprinkles, but the ground is so hard and dry it doesn't really soak in. It just kind of bounces off.

The good news is, I didn't have to ruin allot of weekends with lawn mowing. My thought has always been, if God wants to mow it, He can water it. He apparently has not be in a mowing mood this year.

No problem with the corn harvest this year. Sometimes it's so wet the farmers can't get their machines into the fields. This year they were concerned abut setting the fields on fire.

Yup, here it's pretty much a drought (went about 2 months straight with less than 1/10 inch of rain). It's raining today though, and it's supposed to be a wetter winter than normal.

That map shows I'm in a D2 drought.

Last edited:
I live in the deserts of the southwest so you could say I live in perpetual drought conditions!

Here's the rest of the country so you can se who else is sharing the misery with you.

US Drought Monitor

Actually we are dryer than a desert this summer.
We have had only one brief rain since the end of May.
It is unbelievably dry...the grass actually hurts to walk on it barefoot...it's like walking on miniature corn stalks - it crunches.

Drought of epic proportions in Somaliland...
eek.gif

Official Says 80 Percent of Livestock Dead in Somaliland
March 24, 2017 — Authorities in the breakaway republic of Somaliland say at least 80 percent of the region's livestock have died due to the crippling drought that has also killed dozens of people and forced thousands into displaced persons camps.
“The situation is very grave as most of the livestock were killed by drought,” said Mohamud Ali Saleban, governor of the Togdheer region, in the town of Buro. “We are waiting for the rain, but if it does not come in the next few days, we expect the government to declare an emergency,” the governor told VOA. Officials told VOA that nearly 50 people across Somaliland have died due to drought-related illnesses. Nomadic communities all across this region said they have never experienced this kind of drought. Jama Handulle Yassin, a 63-year-old herder, said he has lost more than 280 goats, leaving him with just 30. “The starvation affected everything, and the situation now is very dangerous where we run for our lives before we die here," he said. "We appeal to the world to immediately support us.”

22FC76FF-92AC-4D69-AF8E-78BAD6364153_w650_r0_s.jpg

The carcass of a dead animal lies in the middle of a street in the Sool region of Somaliland.​

Another woman, age 73, said, “This is the worst I have seen in my life.” Somaliland was affected by the 2011 regional drought that killed an estimated 260,000 people, but that event had its gravest impact in south and central Somalia. Somaliland declared independence from Somalia in 1991 but is not recognized by any other country. The current drought has forced tens of thousands of pastoralists to flee from remote villages into towns, where they set up makeshift camps. As water becomes scarce, the drought is forcing many people living in camps outside the town of Las-Anod to drink dirty water.

0E9529FA-2516-43F5-A0E2-C226A62CF1EF_w650_r0_s.png

Standing near the carcass of a camel, Roble Jama, a 13-year-old herder, said his family lost the only camel they had due to drought. “I have seen when the camel was dying and I felt so sad. The camel’s name was Cadaawe and was nine years old,” Roble Jama told VOA near the village of Ina-Afmadobe. The people affected by drought said they have received little or no help from the Somaliland government or aid agencies. The United Nations recently warned that 6.2 million people across Somalia are facing acute food shortages. More than 1.5 million of those live in Somaliland.

Official Says 80 Percent of Livestock Dead in Somaliland

See also:

Official: At Least 25 Starve to Death in Somaliland
March 22, 2017 - At least 25 people have died of starvation in the self-declared republic of Somaliland as the Horn of Africa grapples with an increasingly severe drought.
“The drought situation is at its most dangerous level. Eighty percent of the livestock have gone and we are struggling with saving people, who have started dying. So far, we have recorded 25 deaths, most of them children who starved to death," said Ahmed Abdi Salay, the governor of Somaliland's northwest Sanag region. According to the United Nations, more than 50,000 children across Somaliland and Somalia are facing possible death because of the ongoing regional drought. Somaliland declared independence from Somalia in 1991 but is not recognized by any other country. The news about the deaths in Sanag emerged a day after government-owned Radio Mogadishu website reported that at least 26 people died of starvation in Somalia's southern region of Jubaland.

98AEE9F8-D209-4BEF-9CFB-385C089F47B5_w650_r0_s.jpg

Children drink water delivered by a truck in the drought stricken Baligubadle village near Hargeisa, the capital city of Somaliland, in this handout picture provided by The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies​

The governor of the Togdheer region in Somaliland, Mohamud Ali Saleban, said the drought is affecting every part of Somali society. “The pain of the drought has touched us in all levels, every office and every household there is the impact," he said. "Relatives who lost their livestock have resorted to come to the cities in search of lifesaving assistance from their acquaintances and relatives,” Saleban said. On Monday, Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire included a minister of disaster management in his Cabinet, saying the ministry will deal with the drought that has left more than 6 million Somalis in need of aid.

Governor Salay said more than 15,000 people who have fled rural areas are now living in makeshift displaced persons' camps in the Sanag region capital of Erigavo. According to a statement from the Somali doctors’ association, a group of Mogadishu doctors has joined the Drought Relief Campaign, providing medical services to individuals in the camps for the internally displaced.

Official: At Least 25 Starve to Death in Somaliland

Somalia's population turns into drought refugees...
eek.gif

Somalia's Drought Once Again Has Thousands on the Move
March 29, 2017 — Tears fill Sahra Muse's eyes as she stares at her severely malnourished son, his thin arms crossed over his bloated stomach.
Before he succumbed to hunger, 7-year-old Ibrahim Ali had helped his mother herd the family's 30 cows on their farm in Toratorow, a village in Lower Shabelle region. But the family lost all they had to the growing drought. The 32-year-old Muse walked for three days to reach this wind-swept camp 13 kilometers (8 miles) south of Somalia's capital earlier this week, leaving behind her other three children and their father. "Life is becoming so hard. We have nothing to survive, and I don't know how long he will survive," Muse said of her son. She sat in a small hut made of sticks. Rubbing her bloodshot eyes, she said the boy's cries had kept her awake for days.

D67A4194-E348-4AF4-9DFF-F4F9437163CE_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Newly displaced Somali mother Sahra Muse, 32, comforts her malnourished child Ibrahim Ali, 7, in their makeshift shelter at a camp in the Garasbaley area on the outskirts of Mogadishu, Somalia.​

The Garasbaley camp was set up by local villagers to help the desperate but they are waiting for an international agency to provide food to help the hungry. With no food at the camp and no money for transport, Muse is preparing another day's hike to the capital, Mogadishu, to help her son. He survived the 2011 drought that killed roughly a quarter of a million people in Somalia and she is desperate to save him again. Somalia's current drought is threatening half of the country's population, or about 6 million people, according to the United Nations. Aid agencies have scaled up efforts but say more support is urgently needed.

The emergency is joined by similar hunger crises in South Sudan, northeastern Nigeria and Yemen, which together make up what the United Nations calls the world's largest humanitarian disaster in more than 70 years. Africa's hunger crisis strikes as President Donald Trump's proposed budget would pull the U.S. from its traditional role as the world's largest donor to emergencies. The crisis has once again uprooted hundreds of thousands of people across Somalia, which already has a sprawling diaspora of 2 million people after a quarter-century of conflict.

E3441181-C29A-42AB-B2A1-6314D432AF62_w650_r1_s.jpg

3786475.html

Newly displaced Somalis walk through a camp in the Garasbaley area on the outskirts of Mogadishu, Somalia​

Drought-stricken families are on the move, trying to reach points where international aid agencies are distributing food. The agencies cannot distribute food in areas under the control of al-Shabab, Somalia's homegrown Islamic extremist rebels who are affiliated to al-Qaida. Somalia's fragile central government struggles to assert itself beyond the capital and other limited areas. Between November and the end of February, around 257,000 people in this Horn of Africa nation have been internally displaced because of the drought, according to the U.N. refugee agency. Some are moving to urban areas, others into neighboring countries.

MORE

Last edited:
No drought here.

Our reservoirs are now full, and the local snowpack is over 100%.

Forum List

Back