Any Volvo owners here?

I'll take Jap vehicles over em all.
Reasonably priced and tough as nails.
Here's a picture of my truck that comes up as a red square now for some reason...you'll have to use your imagination.
i-SGwFKBD-L.jpg
The red X means the link is no longer valid, i.e. the image has been moved or deleted at the source. Find another image of the same vehicle.

It's the same images I've used for years on USMB coming from smugmug.
I've contacted smugmug to see if their acquisition of flickr has any thing to do with it.
I'm simply passing on what I read about it.

Former Volvo owner, and I emphasize "former", as in "why didn't I learn the first time?"

However the first one, while it ran, was pretty fuggin' cool....

32dd5f91d3e48e4a3935972e060ddf12.jpg

volvo-p1800-s_12530.jpg

A facsimile but mine looked like it (didn't have wire wheels). I had a '62.

Those not in the know would ask me if if it was a Karmann-Ghia. It was rare enough that when I encountered another one we'd wave with a "hail P1800 well met'.

I remember it had a light on the dash to indicate when it was in ovedrive and the light was crimson.

Amazingly, a car just like this holds the world record for mileage. Guy named Irv Gordon has a '66 that he's put over three million miles on
shakehead.gif

My transmisson went (even though it was a stick) and I don't remember how many miles it had but wasn't that much. I put over 400k on a Saturn but have never eqalled that, except for possibly a '62 Valiant that was impossible to tell how many times the odometer had flipped over.

I always liked those old Volvos. Cool looking car. My Mom had a '62 Valiant, with the push button transmission. That car never wanted to die. We ended up giving it to a relative.

You just could not kill the old 225 Slant Six. They accidentally made it so well it outlasted the body.

Mine had been a Bell Telephone fleet car so had been well maintenanced before a friend of mine bought it at auction and eventually sold it to me. Had a real heavy duty clutch (with a three-on-the-tree) that would emanate this satisfying squeak when pressed, and a very good (Blaupunkt?) stereo. Its odomete had probably flipped four times but that's just a wild guess.

A few years back I was walking in the woods out the back forty and saw an object sitting in the creek. I knew immediately what it was -- I said to myself, "Self, that's a starter from a MoPar slant six". I had changed a few of them over the years.

Them wuz the daze, Crawl under the car, two bolts off, two bolts on, what's for lunch.

Last edited:
Former Volvo owner, and I emphasize "former", as in "why didn't I learn the first time?"

volvo-p1800-s_12530.jpg

Those not in the know would ask me if if it was a Karmann-Ghia. It was rare enough that when I encountered another one we'd wave with a "hail P1800 well met'.

I remember it had a light on the dash to indicate when it was in ovedrive and the light was crimson.

Amazingly, a car just like this holds the world record for mileage. Guy named Irv Gordon has a '66 that he's put over three million miles on
shakehead.gif

My transmisson went (even though it was a stick) and I don't remember how many miles it had but wasn't that much. I put over 400k on a Saturn but have never eqalled that, except for possibly a '62 Valiant that was impossible to tell how many times the odometer had flipped over.

i had a 1969 p1800

looked like a million bucks

drove like a volvo :lol:

had 82k on it when a tree jumped out in front of it

Them thar disc brakes sure worked well. I stopped for a red light one time and the driver behind me I guess never expected a car to stop that fast and crashed into my bumper. Nobody hurt, just had to replace the bumper. The three-piece metal bumper from Sweden. He got him some sticker shock when his insurance had to pay out over $200 (prolly about 1600 in today's money).

I'll take Jap vehicles over em all.
Reasonably priced and tough as nails.
Here's a picture of my truck that comes up as a red square now for some reason...you'll have to use your imagination.
i-SGwFKBD-L.jpg

Looks kind of .... boxy. :eusa_shifty:

The red x is particularly hard on the ass over long haul runs....

All depends on where you sit. ;)

From the look of it the only soft spot would be in the bed of the truck.

volvo-p1800-s_12530.jpg

shakehead.gif

My first ride was a '65 Valiant 4 door 3 on the tree. Indestructible.

volvo-p1800-s_12530.jpg

shakehead.gif

/----/ I wanted this car in High School (1968) but they were expensive. You could get a used VW for 1/3 the price. I found an ad from my hometown
volvo.jpg

Forum List

Back