Any hispanics here? Got a question for ya.

I think it's pretty hilarious that "Hispanic" translates to "Mexican" for so many here...
Well, when they're from Mexico, I think "Mexican" is appropriate, don't you?

What if they're not?

Is it appropriate to call someone from Puerto Rico a "Mexican"? What about a Catalan?
Around here, they're Mexicans. You obviously don't know wtf you're talking about. Most Mexicans are offended by the term "Hispanic". And "Latino" is offensive to them as well because you're lumping them all together. I would wager to say that Puerto Ricans are equally offended by those terms. Mexicans often call each other "Wetbacks". It's no different than blacks calling each other "Niggas". You shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. Until you live among them and know them personally, you're simply guessing.

Hows about American?

Has a nice ring to it.

not one that i ever worked with... even though they were citizens....EVER wanted to be called an American.

and god help you if you call them the wrong thing. Call a Honduran a Mexican...A Mexican a Guatemalan...... or anyone something else other then what they "were".... and the world ended.

Well, when they're from Mexico, I think "Mexican" is appropriate, don't you?

What if they're not?

Is it appropriate to call someone from Puerto Rico a "Mexican"? What about a Catalan?
Around here, they're Mexicans. You obviously don't know wtf you're talking about. Most Mexicans are offended by the term "Hispanic". And "Latino" is offensive to them as well because you're lumping them all together. I would wager to say that Puerto Ricans are equally offended by those terms. Mexicans often call each other "Wetbacks". It's no different than blacks calling each other "Niggas". You shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. Until you live among them and know them personally, you're simply guessing.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was talking about the definition of the word "Hispanic".

What if they're not?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was talking about the definition of the word "Hispanic".
I'm talking about what they consider themselves to be, and most Mexicans I know (a lot) think the term "Hispanic" is offensive. If I misread you, I apologize.

I'm talking about what they consider themselves to be, and most Mexicans I know (a lot) think the term "Hispanic" is offensive. If I misread you, I apologize.

I'm sure you're right.

I was only talking about how I thought it was funny that when people read the thread title, they automatically assumed the conversation was about "Mexicans", whereas the term "Hispanic" refers, actually, to people from Spain.

Hispanics aren't from SPAIN, for God's sakes...

Hispanic are S. Americans of Spanish DESCENT, who don't identify as "Mexican". Mexicans, naturally, are from Mexico (hey, it's a country, have you heard of it?) You wouldn't call a woman from Guatamala a Mexican. CHICANO is MEXICAN American. Not Chilean American. MEXICAN American. If you don't know the difference, then it probably isn't something you should be talking about because it's none of your fucking business.

A good friend from Peru, now a citizen, calls herself Latina.

Puerto Ricans are Americans.

Hows about American?

Has a nice ring to it.
Appropriate.....IF they ARE Amercan...

When I lived in California, they went by Latino for the men and Chicana for the women.

The gang members were often called vato's and ****'s.

The racists often used wetbacks.

My friends are called by their first names, and their mothers were always Mrs. "insert surname here". But then, I was raised that as an adult, I was never to call an adult by their proper name. It was always Mr. or Mrs, on rare occations, Ms.

Forum List

Back