Any Fellow Artichoke Eaters?

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
I know it's a lesser-known regional vegetable that flourishes here on Califuckia's central coast - I have several out of state relatives who have never seen or touched an artichoke in their lives. But anyway, I love boiling an artichoke for about 60-90 minutes in a mixture of brine, pineapple juice and lemon juice (to give the green leaves a nice, sharp zing) and eat them with mayo. You peel off the leaves, dip the puffy, meat end of the leaf in mayo and use your teeth to suck all the "green meat" off the leaf, then dispose of the leaf remnant. Then when the leaves are gone and you get to the bizarre-looking, alien heart of the artichoke, you can dip the whole motherfucker in mayo and eat it until there's nothing left. Like all plump green plants, it's packed with all varieties of nutrition. Including anti-oxidants that keep us from oxidizing (because that would be a worldwide tragedy if that happened).

I got into this artichoke w/mayo habit when I was a young child and every time we visited our late grandma's house, she'd feed us a lunch of tomato soup with soda crackers and a boiled artichoke like clockwork. And the funniest/damndest thing is that at 45, I still often cook up grandma's same childhood lunch for myself from time to time.

I’ve never eaten one.

If you have any local access to artichokes, I recommend you try it at least once. Just to see what's it's like. Even if you don't like it I'm absolutely certain it won't harm you. Go ahead and give it a shot, you may like them more than you expected, who knows.

I’ve never eaten one.

If you have any local access to artichokes, I recommend you try it at least once. Just to see what's it's like. Even if you don't like it I'm absolutely certain it won't harm you. Go ahead and give it a shot, you may like them more than you expected, who knows.
It’s something I’d try.
I’ve never had one because I’ve never been offered one.

I'm a huge fan of your ceiling lights.

LIG110813C-1_2048x.png

I'm a huge fan of your ceiling lights.

LIG110813C-1_2048x.png

They look enough like artichokes I want to reach into that image, snatch those light panels off, dip them in mayo and eat them. Then I'll eat the live, electrified light bulb in the middle - ya know, just to recharge myself.

I like a good artichoke now and then.

As do I. I don't go very long without eating one - even if they're not the world's most attractive-looking green veggie.

Finding good ones can be a challenge here in Texas.

I understand artichokes are pretty picky about their exact growing environment. Which makes them rarer than most other vegetables. I assume most of TX has a hotter, drier climate than CA?

Last edited:
I like a good artichoke now and then.

As do I. I don't go very long without eating one - even if they're not the world's most attractive-looking green veggie.

Finding good ones can be a challenge here in Texas.

I understand artichokes are pretty picky about their exact growing environment. Which makes them rarer than most other vegetables. I assume most of TX has a hotter, drier climate than CA?

Pretty much all artichokes sold in the US come from California.

Hotter for sure but it depends on where you are in Texas as far as rain fall.
You can go from 60 inches a year to desert conditions.

Forum List

Back