Zone1 Antiwar Demonstrations and Speakers in Washington, D.C.

“And here is the insanity of it all: we have talking heads on TV, we have politicians, we have very powerful people here in the United States and all around the world speaking with a straight face… about ‘how we gonna fight and win’… as if such a war could ever be won. It cannot be won,” she stated.

As I have stated more than once. No matter how the war turns out, there will be no winners.

How in the fuck did the right go from "Fuck yeah, we're America, and we are badasses! Fuck dictators!" to "Spread the love, mah brutha, wanna smoke some weed before we protest by singing kumbaya?"

Fuck anti-war hippies. Wars are a necessary evil. People die. That's tough. America needs to be the biggest and baddest and deadliest if we want to stay on top of the piles of bodies instead of becoming the pile. Can't do that if we're all running around, scared "b-b-but Russia!!!!!!"

BRING THE RIGHT BACK!

Well if you're gonna get involved in a war (send weapons to one side) at least have a good plan and make sure 'your side' gets the job done. Biden is such a weak, senile clusterfuck.

Today’s Washington rally was not massive, certainly not by West European standards. The rally was also very different than even the broad (often pacifist) anti-Vietnam War movement.

The issue here is far more complex than was the case in Vietnam days, where the U.S. sent ultimately half a million soldiers to wage neo-colonial / imperialist war against a popular national liberation movement, after supporting French colonialists in their failed occupation of Vietnam.

Here the Russians have brutally invaded (and are failing) as the unwelcome imperialist power. The encouragement, arming and financing of Ukrainian nationalists by the West, and U.S. foreign policy in general, has certainly not taken into consideration Russian sentiment, nor recognized fully just how dangerous a long proxy war in Ukraine can be for the world.

After the Russians fail in their new “Spring Offensive,” as I am pretty certain they will, the Ukrainians probably will try to make their own big advances. It is very doubtful they will be able to retake all of Donbas, not to mention Crimea. At that point there may well be a very good chance for serious negotiations to proceed, as both sides will be exhausted.

Any “anti-war movement” should at minimum demand the West not send jets or long-range missiles to Ukraine (whose leaders will be tempted to use them against pre-2014 Russian territory).

In my opinion the U.S. must limit its support to Ukraine to financial aid and essentially defensive weapons systems, while keeping the door open to a “real politique” compromise settlement with Putin’s nuclear-armed dictatorial regime:

The U.S. should recognize an abstract “right to self determination” for Crimea, and make clear to the Zelensky regime that it will not support a proxy war by a military-dominated “Spartan regime” dedicated to endless war with Russia.

But American democrats also must “bite the bullet” and help Ukrainians fight their own difficult war of liberation. Imperialist and authoritarian Russia must not be allowed to brutally crush an unarmed and abandoned Ukraine.

The rally in Washington was an explicit “right-left” fusion, with significant “anti war” groups like Veterans Against War & “Code Pink” not participating — because they believe the logic of such an alliance in the present context will help the right.

Indeed, there is a real possibility that the Trump campaign approaching 2024 will come out openly against aid to Ukraine and come to dominate anti-war sentiment. Trump likes to say he “saved the ass” of his Saudi friend (and butcher) MbS in the past. It is just possible he will do the same for his authoritarian Russian friend Putin in the future.

Last edited:
The rally in Washington was an explicit “right-left” fusion, with significant “anti war” groups like Veterans Against War & “Code Pink” not participating — because they believe the logic of such an alliance in the present context will help the right.
Code Pinko didn't show up because they're hard leftist crackpots who masquerade as being anti-war....They were also roaringly silent during the Kenyan Lawn Jockey's aggressions in Libya, Egypt, and Syria.

I am not especially sympathetic — or hostile — to Code Pink. I am simply reporting a bit on the issues that will inevitably face any “anti war” right-left coalition.

For those interested:

I am not especially sympathetic to Code Pink. I am simply reporting a bit on the issues facing any “anti war” right-left coalition.
Any time the left and right can get together and they're not stealing peoples' money, killing them in stupid foreign wars, or crushing our liberties is a welcome event.

Any time the left and right can get together and they're not stealing peoples' money, killing them in stupid foreign wars, or crushing our liberties is a welcome event.
I’ve been supportive of right-left alliances in the past, but there is usually a horse and a rider in politics, and the issue here is not so clear cut, as I tried to point out in my earlier comment.

I am personally a little old to join a “Rage Against the Military Machine” movement. “Rage” is in any case not how I feel toward U.S. defensive military support to Ukraine.

I do understand those who participated in this rally for various laudable reasons. I would definitely not support such a movement, however, if it evolves into a primarily partisan movement of support for Putin and Donald Trump — which is clearly not now the case.

Last edited:
Just so you all know, "RT" — as in, the OP link's website — stands for "Russia Today." It is pro-Russian propaganda.

It is, in its own words, "publicly financed from the budget of the Russian Federation."

Just so you know who you're listening to.

Forum List

Back