Antarctic ice close to tipping point

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
SYDNEY (Reuters) - A large part of the ice covering West Antarctica could be lost if greenhouse gases in the atmosphere increase only slightly from today's levels and ocean temperatures continue to rise, a study released on Thursday says.

Another related study said if the West Antarctic ice sheet collapsed and the East Antarctic ice sheet continued to melt at its marine margins, global sea level would rise seven meters from today's level.

Antarctica stores about 90 percent of the world's freshwater.

Both studies, published in the journal Nature, are a result of extensive drilling into the seafloor under the Ross Ice Shelf by a team of New Zealand, Italian, American and Germany scientists.

The floating ice shelf won't elevate sea levels if melts because it is already displacing water. The real threat comes when the ice sheet behind, which is below sea level, is exposed to the ocean.

The 50-plus core samples, down to 1.2 kilometers (0.7 mile), allowed the scientists to study how previous periods of rising carbon dioxide affected ocean temperatures, ice movements and sea levels.

Antarctic ice close to melting tipping point-study | Science | Reuters

This very paper admits that the ice shelf has melted and reformed several times in years past - and that CO2 levels have in fact been higher than they are now (a number of times no less)

When it then attempts to claim we need to lower our CO2 emissions...this is absurdity masked as science.

:lol::lol:

This very paper admits that the ice shelf has melted and reformed several times in years past - and that CO2 levels have in fact been higher than they are now (a number of times no less)

When it then attempts to claim we need to lower our CO2 emissions...this is absurdity masked as science.

well--it's Chris---what did you expect ? :lol:

well--it's Chris---what did you expect ? :lol:

He is rather slow off the mark it would appear.

I actually feel a bit sorry for him...

Nothing slow about me.

8 billion tons of CO2 added to the atmosphere, year after year, will warm the earth.

This was proven experimentally in 1859.

Nothing slow about me.

8 billion tons of CO2 added to the atmosphere, year after year, will warm the earth.

This was proven experimentally in 1859.

AWESOME! I only hope we can raise that level to about 12 billion tons within the next 20 years!!!!

Until then, I'm gonna pour a nice globally-warmed glass of Guinness.

As for you, I suggest you actually do a bit more reading on the subject you are so quick to assume an understanding of...

More Carbon Dioxide, Please « Watts Up With That?

Changing the subject again.

CO2 causes the earth to retain heat.

Do you deny that?

Do you deny that?

CO2 is a minute portion of the total atmoshpere - and man-made CO2 is an even more minute portion.

Do you deny that?

Pull my finger...

PS - do you drive a car and heat your home?

So you cannot deny that CO2 causes the earth to retain heat?

I suspect that Chris owns stock in this:

Riehl World View: Al Gore's Inconvenient Loot

Al Gore's Inconvenient Loot
Former Vice President Al Gore has built a Green money-making machine capable of eventually generating billions of dollars for investors, including himself, but he set it up so that the average Joe can't afford to play on Gore's terms. And the US portion is headed up by a former Gore staffer and fund raiser who previously ran afoul of both the FEC and the DOJ, before Janet Reno jumped in and shut down an investigation during the Clinton years.

As Bill Hobbs first pointed out, Gore supposedly pays for his extra-large carbon footprint through Generation Investment Management (GIM) - and if you're looking to go green, and have your wallet go along with Gore, think again - average people are too insignificant to play - verifiable from this pdf.

Do you deny that?

CO2 is a minute portion of the total atmoshpere - and man-made CO2 is an even more minute portion.

Do you deny that?

Pull my finger...

One gram is a minute portion of your body weight, so obviously one gram of Potassium Cynide cannot hurt you.

Do you deny that?

Do you deny that?

Pull my finger...

One gram is a minute portion of your body weight, so obviously one gram of Potassium Cynide cannot hurt you.

yes Rocks--CO2 and Potassium Cyanide are the same thing. :rolleyes:

Do you deny that?

Do you deny that?

Pull my finger...

not as much as the 100+ kilos of stupid you're toting around.

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A large part of the ice covering West Antarctica could be lost if greenhouse gases in the atmosphere increase only slightly from today's levels and ocean temperatures continue to rise, a study released on Thursday says.

Another related study said if the West Antarctic ice sheet collapsed and the East Antarctic ice sheet continued to melt at its marine margins, global sea level would rise seven meters from today's level.

Antarctica stores about 90 percent of the world's freshwater.

Both studies, published in the journal Nature, are a result of extensive drilling into the seafloor under the Ross Ice Shelf by a team of New Zealand, Italian, American and Germany scientists.

The floating ice shelf won't elevate sea levels if melts because it is already displacing water. The real threat comes when the ice sheet behind, which is below sea level, is exposed to the ocean.

The 50-plus core samples, down to 1.2 kilometers (0.7 mile), allowed the scientists to study how previous periods of rising carbon dioxide affected ocean temperatures, ice movements and sea levels.

Antarctic ice close to melting tipping point-study | Science | Reuters

I was watching Discovery or PBS last night and they were talking about Global Warming. In the north pole, GW is making it colder in some places and warmer in other places. Sometimes the babies are sitting in mud, sometimes ice.

I was also watching something about Yellowstone. What an amazing place. It can snow any month in Yellowstone. Did you know that? GW messes with that too.

But there are many different kinds of penguins. The emperor penguins are doing the best with the recent climate changes.

I got the feeling that we can't do anything for the Polar Bears or Penguins or Seals that live out there. Sometimes its going to be super cold so they can't get to the water, and sometimes its going to be too warm and they will drown.

There was a whole colony of baby penguins. Maybe 10,000 of them. If the ice melted before they got their full feathers, they would all die/drown.

Anyways, India, China, Europe, US, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Africa, imagine all the pollution we omit. Even if we can't stop GW from happening, at least we will have clean air if we go green.

And if it also stops radical climate change, or lessens the severity, then great.

Last edited:

Do you deny that?

Pull my finger...

yes Rocks--CO2 and Potassium Cyanide are the same thing. :rolleyes:

Small, relitive, quantities can screw up very large complex systems. That was the point for you mentally challenged folks.

Do you deny that?

Pull my finger...

not as much as the 100+ kilos of stupid you're toting around.

Love you, too, Del.

Forum List

Back