Another Massive Ransomware Outbreak is going Global Fast

As you can see they are still calling it ransomware. Need a link for your source.
I linked to the Washington Post, and you pretended not to have seen the link.
Sorry, I saw that your title called it ransomware and was thinking you had something else. My mistake. Here is an article I found but it limits what you suggest to Ukraine and not the other 65 countries where it spread and demanded ransom from its victims.
Petya 'ransomware' ruse for something more sinister, say researchers

Here is the latest news about Petya ransomware attack. Report came out 28 minutes ago, @TedFrazier WP has gotten it wrong before. Don't feel bad. We learn by our mistakes. Fact check, fact check, fact check.... my advise.
Ransomware attacks: Here's what we need to learn from WannaCry and Petya - TechRepublic

Ransomware attacks: Here's what we need to learn from WannaCry and Petya
Ransomware is here to stay, which means it's time to make a few changes to how we respond.
By Steve Ranger | June 30, 2017, 7:56 AM PST
Two massive ransomware attacks in less than two months have caused chaos across the globe. First came WannaCry—which hit the UK's NHS particularly hard—and likely infected about 300,000 PCs worldwide — and this week a new variant of Petya followed.

So far it looks like Petya will be much less widespread than WannaCry, but it has still managed to infect PCs at a string of high profile organisations, from oil company Rosneft to shipping giant Maersk and advertising giant WPP. So what can we learn from these events?

Businesses are now a key target for ransomware

Ransomware used to be a nuisance, and one that mostly caused problems for home users. But businesses have much deeper pockets than consumers, which means in the last couple of years online fraudsters have turned their attention to ransoming business data instead. That's not likely to change any time soon so organisations need to take the threat seriously. This is a threat to your business data, not just to somebody's holiday photos.

Being willing to pay up is not a valid strategy

They are calling the man who stopped the first Ransomware attack "the accidental hero." He predicted that this could happen again. Maybe someone needs to give this young man a job? 'Accidental hero' halts ransomware attack and warns: this is not over
It didn't happen again. This wasn't ransonware Ukraine’s ransomware attack was a ruse to hide culprit’s identity, researchers say
Yes it did - as you can see by this latest breaking report I just posted. WP's theory didn't pan out. If you have no other source you'll have to accept that WP got ahead of themselves (like you). In the future, Ted just post your response once. Three times is not necessary. I'll respond when I see it (God willing). Thanks.

They are calling the man who stopped the first Ransomware attack "the accidental hero." He predicted that this could happen again. Maybe someone needs to give this young man a job? 'Accidental hero' halts ransomware attack and warns: this is not over
It didn't happen again. This wasn't ransonware Ukraine’s ransomware attack was a ruse to hide culprit’s identity, researchers say
Yes it did - as you can see by this latest breaking report I just posted. WP's theory didn't pan out. If you have no other source you'll have to accept that WP got ahead of themselves (like you). In the future, Ted just post your response once. Three times is not necessary. I'll respond when I see it (God willing). Thanks.
You went from "you have no link" to "Your link is a poopyhead:. You were caught not reading other members' posts. You tried to save face by predictably killing the messenger. I embarrassed you.

Here is the latest news about Petya ransomware attack. Report came out 28 minutes ago, @TedFrazier WP has gotten it wrong before. Don't feel bad. We learn by our mistakes. Fact check, fact check, fact check.... my advise.
Ransomware attacks: Here's what we need to learn from WannaCry and Petya - TechRepublic

Ransomware attacks: Here's what we need to learn from WannaCry and Petya
Ransomware is here to stay, which means it's time to make a few changes to how we respond.
By Steve Ranger | June 30, 2017, 7:56 AM PST
Two massive ransomware attacks in less than two months have caused chaos across the globe. First came WannaCry—which hit the UK's NHS particularly hard—and likely infected about 300,000 PCs worldwide — and this week a new variant of Petya followed.

So far it looks like Petya will be much less widespread than WannaCry, but it has still managed to infect PCs at a string of high profile organisations, from oil company Rosneft to shipping giant Maersk and advertising giant WPP. So what can we learn from these events?

Businesses are now a key target for ransomware

Ransomware used to be a nuisance, and one that mostly caused problems for home users. But businesses have much deeper pockets than consumers, which means in the last couple of years online fraudsters have turned their attention to ransoming business data instead. That's not likely to change any time soon so organisations need to take the threat seriously. This is a threat to your business data, not just to somebody's holiday photos.

Being willing to pay up is not a valid strategy
Uh oh. Jeremiah's bad day just worsened: New York Times: Ukraine Cyberattack Was Meant to Paralyze, not Profit, Evidence Shows

You wanted links?

Bloomberg view adds to Jeremiah's woes: " It transpired soon that the malware's developers didn't really want the money" The Russian Trail in the Latest 'Ransomware' Attack

Boy, if you viewed yourself as a tech-savvy guy before this thread, your self-esteem was overinflated. What a debacle.
Let me guess. Bloomberg and the New York Times are poopyheads too?
Moral of the story. Don't ask for links of you knew there are links. Moron.

The Chicago Tribune is glad to participate in the education of Jeremiah: "The 'ransomware' component is just a smokescreen (and a bad one)." Global cyberattack seems intent on havoc aimed at Ukraine, not extortion

You went from "you have no link" to "Your link is a poopyhead:. You were caught not reading other members' posts. You tried to save face by predictably killing the messenger. I embarrassed you.
Try not posting the same thing over and over again, Ted. It isn't necessary. Let's get to the real reason for your posting this. You didn't do your homework on this Ransomware story and jumped the gun. Next time do a bit more investigation. It will save you the humiliation of being wrong. We are looking at a ransomware attack that targeted 65 countries. Not the Ukraine (alone). Thanks for reading.

What researchers? I'm reading headlines that still read like this one:
'Petya' Ransomware Hits At Least 65 Countries; Microsoft Traces It To Tax Software
"We saw the first infections in Ukraine — more than 12,500 machines encountered the threat," Microsoft says. "We then observed infections in another 64 countries, including Belgium, Brazil, Germany, Russia, and the United States."

The complexity of the attack has fueled debate over whether the malware is a new threat or a more sophisticated version of the Petya malware that was used in an attack last spring.

But Microsoft says the ransomware is "a new variant" of Petya, adding that it has issued new security updates to protect computers running its Windows software. Other anti-virus companies have also updated their software, in an attempt to limit the damage.

The initial infection can be traced to tax accounting software from a Ukrainian company called M.E.Doc, Microsoft says. That connection was the subject of speculation Tuesday, but Microsoft now says it "has evidence that a few active infections of the ransomware initially started from the legitimate MEDoc updater process."

Petya is still affecting airports and ATMs in Ukraine and hampering international businesses from the shipping giant Maersk to the drug company Merck. Its victims also include hospitals in Pennsylvania's Heritage Valley Health System.
----------
Where is your evidence, Ted? Do you have a link? Please post your source. Thanks.
I posted a comment with a link, yet you still asked me for a link. It's as if I gave you a gladss of water, and you replied, "can I have some water"? Are you unable to read?
Where is the source for your proof that Russia was behind this attack and that Russia attacked the Ukraine and 65 countries demanding ransom from the victims? You don't have any proof, Ted. You're absent any evidence to prove such a thing. I'm not any fan of Vladimir Putin but I'm not going to accuse him of waging such an attack unless I have irrefutable evidence that he has done so. You have nothing.

'Petya' Ransomware Hits At Least 65 Countries; Microsoft Traces It To Tax Software
"We saw the first infections in Ukraine — more than 12,500 machines encountered the threat," Microsoft says. "We then observed infections in another 64 countries, including Belgium, Brazil, Germany, Russia, and the United States."

The complexity of the attack has fueled debate over whether the malware is a new threat or a more sophisticated version of the Petya malware that was used in an attack last spring.

But Microsoft says the ransomware is "a new variant" of Petya, adding that it has issued new security updates to protect computers running its Windows software. Other anti-virus companies have also updated their software, in an attempt to limit the damage.

The initial infection can be traced to tax accounting software from a Ukrainian company called M.E.Doc, Microsoft says. That connection was the subject of speculation Tuesday, but Microsoft now says it "has evidence that a few active infections of the ransomware initially started from the legitimate MEDoc updater process."

Petya is still affecting airports and ATMs in Ukraine and hampering international businesses from the shipping giant Maersk to the drug company Merck. Its victims also include hospitals in Pennsylvania's Heritage Valley Health System.
----------
Where is your evidence, Ted? Do you have a link? Please post your source. Thanks.
I posted a comment with a link, yet you still asked me for a link. It's as if I gave you a gladss of water, and you replied, "can I have some water"? Are you unable to read?
Where is the source for your proof that Russia was behind this attack and that Russia attacked the Ukraine and 65 countries demanding ransom from the victims? You don't have any proof, Ted. You're absent any evidence to prove such a thing. I'm not any fan of Vladimir Putin but I'm not going to accuse him of waging such an attack unless I have irrefutable evidence that he has done so. You have nothing.

Why half in Ukraine? Shouldnt Ukraine have approximately 1/65 of infections, if this was an attack with no main focus? Be smarter and read, my Russian friend.

If you had read the Washington Post article, you would have read that the spreading of the virus to countries outside Ukraine was seen as "unintended consequences" of the initial hit on Ukraine.
NotPetya did not spread across the open Internet, she said in an email. “Its tactic was to compromise a few computers inside a network” once the hacker got in, say, by delivering the malware through MEDoc. Then it could rapidly spread to other computers in the same network using a variety of other methods.

“While most ‘patient zero’ computers were in Ukraine . . . the corporate networks those computers [connect to] could potentially span the globe, and infection could also spread to any customers, partners, or vendors with whom they had unrestricted network connections and shared accounts,” she said.

That might explain how U.S. pharmaceutical giant Merck, the Danish shipping firm Maerskeven and the Russian oil company Rosneft became infected.

Since you are wasting my time asking me to post things that are already contained in the links above, I will no longer copy and paste things that your are too lazy to (and not interested in) reading yourself.

I also want you to apologize for not reading the links I give you.

Last edited:

----------

Why half in Ukraine? Shouldnt Ukraine have approximately 1/65 of infections, if this was an attack with no main focus? Be smarter and read, my Russian friend.

If you had read the Washington Post article, you would have read that the spreading of the virus to countries outside Ukraine was seen as "unintended consequences" of the initial hit on Ukraine.
NotPetya did not spread across the open Internet, she said in an email. “Its tactic was to compromise a few computers inside a network” once the hacker got in, say, by delivering the malware through MEDoc. Then it could rapidly spread to other computers in the same network using a variety of other methods.

“While most ‘patient zero’ computers were in Ukraine . . . the corporate networks those computers [connect to] could potentially span the globe, and infection could also spread to any customers, partners, or vendors with whom they had unrestricted network connections and shared accounts,” she said.

That might explain how U.S. pharmaceutical giant Merck, the Danish shipping firm Maerskeven and the Russian oil company Rosneft became infected.

Since you are wasting my time asking me to post things that are already contained in the links above, I will no longer copy and paste things that your are too lazy to (and not interested in) reading yourself.

I cannot give you an apology but I can give you an explanation, Ted. I don't trust fake news media which is what the liberal run Mainstream media has become. They did it to themselves when they falsely reported a presidential election, fixed numbers in an attempt to steal an election and maligned the name of our current President. If I do not believe mainstream media news (unless I find multiple non MSM sources that first establish it as truth) then why would I bother to read what they have to say once I see MSM name inside? It's a waste of my time. As you can see in the OP here, I quoted a non mainstream news source which quoted Forbes. My other responses were using non-MSM articles and the one with tax story was NPR which was a reach because while not MSM they are liberals. I'm sure you will agree it is a waste of time to listen to the liberal mainstream media. Unless you are a liberal.

Again - if I find other sources confirming what they have said I might use their link for video footage, etc. The trouble is that with a liberal MSM news source you have to fact check them against non liberal media sources first. Perhaps when enough people bring a lawsuit against them for false reporting they will be driven out of business. One can only hope.

----------

I cannot give you an apology but I can give you an explanation, Ted. I don't trust fake news media which is what the liberal run Mainstream media has become. They did it to themselves when they falsely reported a presidential election, fixed numbers in an attempt to steal an election and maligned the name of our current President. If I do not believe mainstream media news (unless I find multiple non MSM sources that first establish it as truth) then why would I bother to read what they have to say once I see MSM name inside? It's a waste of my time. As you can see in the OP here, I quoted a non mainstream news source which quoted Forbes. My other responses were using non-MSM articles and the one with tax story was NPR which was a reach because while not MSM they are liberals. I'm sure you will agree it is a waste of time to listen to the liberal mainstream media. Unless you are a liberal.

Again - if I find other sources confirming what they have said I might use their link for video footage, etc. The trouble is that with a liberal MSM news source you have to fact check them against non liberal media sources first. Perhaps when enough people bring a lawsuit against them for false reporting they will be driven out of business. One can only hope.
Your "liberal-media" rant confirms my suspicions that you are just trying to defend Russia, which helped your beloved Donald Trump become President. If you lead readers to believe this was just a random "ransomware", Russia doesn't have to be seen as the hackers they are against other nations. Russian involvement in this attack would be bad for those who pretend Trump didn't benefit from Russian involvement in the DNC hack.

Because you are not honestly trying to analyze the nature of this cyber-attack, and because you did not apologize for not reading the links I give you, I will only reply to any future comments if they contain an apology.

----------
Embarrassing update: US joins UK in blaming Russia for NotPetya cyber-attack

Forum List

Back