And you wonder why Americans are fat.

Not all sugar affects the body the same way. I don't know what about that is so hard to understand. You are aware that there are many different types of sugar right? You can't just look at all sugars in the same way-because they don't effect your body in the same way. And you provided links? Fine.

Carbohydrates: Good Carbs Guide the Way - What Should I Eat? - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health

There's a reason why low carb diets aren't that successful and were fads (Atkins) and why a plan like Weight Watchers is and has been very successful.

The bottom line with losing weight is simple:

For ever 3,500 calories you eat you gain a pound, for every 3,500 calories you burn-you lose a weight. And you cannot train your body to burn off any type of energy over another, or "spot" reduce weight either.

ALL sugar raises insulin levels. Why can't you understand that?

More and more people are eating Primal and low carb than ever before and are thriving.

The problem with people going on a low carb diet is that they view it as temporary and as soon as they start eating like cows again they get fat yet again and often fatter than they were before.

You do realize that one can be at a good weight and still have a fucked up body chemistry don't you? I know plenty of people who eat like cows and even though they are slim are on blood pressure and cholesterol medication.

There is a reason for that and I have given you scientific evidence and you have given me nothing but so called conventional wisdom which is failing because it is inherently flawed.

And I mentioned in my first post that diet does not necessarily a mean weight loss program.

But then again you have not refuted that those who pursue a low carb high protein high fat program to lose weight not only lose more weight but also have better blood chemistry than those who pursue a low protein low fat high carb plan.

There is a reason for that and it is that we were not meant to eat like cows.

I gave you Harvard as a resource-you're using doctors who own diet programs that they want to sell to people. Talk to your own doctor or a nutritionist-that's what I suggest everybody do. I did (my doctor-not a nutritionist), and lost tons of weight-and have kept it off, I'm in better shape than I was in high school, my blood pressure is always perfect (and I'm at a high risk-as my father has high blood pressure). It's not hard to figure out (but does take dedication).

For full disclosure, I will say that I do go workout everyday (weight 5 days a week, and cardio everyday), and have played ice-hockey my whole life. After everytime I lift weights I do also take a protein shake. So I'm not anti-protein, of course it's important. But carbs are extremely important.

But as I said before-go eat a meal high in protein and fat, low in carbs and workout. Then eat a meal high in carbs (whole wheat, fruits/veges), moderate in protein and low in fat (not without fat)-and see how you perform. Go running, or lift weight, or anything that you can track how well you do. I guarantee you'll have more energy and will be more productive with the second option.

You assume I don't work out? An hour work out is a warm up for me. I bike, run, and do a variety of weights and body weight exercises. I have no problem with endurance being on a low carb regimen

And the difference between you and me in this thread is simple-anybody can go back and read. I'm staying on the same topic and the same view. In some posts you talk about weight loss, in others you say you're not talking about weight loss. In one paragraph you'll say yes that fiber is a carb-but that you don't count it as a carb (openling choosing to neglect a fact is astonishing to me). You then say that fat is a better source of energy than carbs are.

I was answering questions about weigh loss posed by other posters. And it is possible to talk about 2 aspects of one subject. But regardless the reason why low carb is so good for weight loss is the very reason that it's healthier than eating like a cow.

So here's a few basic points I'll make that you've been avoiding throughout the thread:

-If fat is a better source of energy than carbs-than why does your body chose to burn off glycogen off before burning off fat (hence ketosis)?

OK I'll say i again. The liver uses fat to turn protein into glucose and glucose is used for fuel. This is done without spiking insulin levels. A high carb diet desensitizes insulin receptors so the body produces more and more insulin. Over time it is high levels of insulin that cause heart disease. Hence fat is better than carbs (sugar)

-How is eating more fat than carbs going to lose you more weight in the long run when 1gm of fat=9cals and 1gram of carbs=4cals?

Now you're talking calories again. If you're counting calories then count them

-Explain how fiber is "unusable" by the body-other than not being digestible. If not being able to be physical digestible means it's "unusable"-then why does eating corn give you cals?

I've done all this before but here we go again.

The carbs in fiber are unusable and do not cause insulin spikes. Is that so hard to understand?

There's a lot of flaws in your logic, and you haven't backed it up with "science". Actually you even claimed that I had fallen for lies of "the books". You keep posting information from organizations selling fad diets (or affiliated with them), I'd love to see an unbiased source that claims that diets consuming low carbs are healthy for you.

The link from the New England Journal of medicine with the results of a scientific study weren't science? How about the one from Scientific American; what were they trying to sell?

And I haven't bought anything from anyone regarding diets. And if you think Weight Watchers doesn't want to sell you anything then you're wrong, again.

Last edited:
Obviously some of you , James in Florida, can't differentiate between low carb and no carb.

So here we go yet again.

On a low carb regimen for weight loss (and I'll specify here because there is more confusion about the term diet) A low carb weight loss regimen will have a person eating less than 50 grams of carbs a day not including carbs from fiber because fiber doesn't spike insulin levels.

50 g of carb is about 4 slices of wheat bread or 8 cups of raspberries or 40 spears of asparagus

I'll eat berries and asparagus instead of bread.

Since the average (fat) American eats over 60% of calories from carbs and 15% from protein any regimen that replaces carbs with protein can be considered a low carb diet.

If the average (fat) American eats 3000 calories a day then a full 1800 of those calories are sugar and only 450 are protein.

A regimen that swaps protein for carbs would have one eating 1800 calories of protein and 450 of carbs.

Now 450 calories of carbs can be 64 asparagus spears, 25 cups of cabbage, 30+ cups of cauliflower.

Get the picture yet? I am on a low carb regimen but I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables in lieu of high carb crap like grain based products.

Last edited:
Obviously some of you , James in Florida, can't differentiate between low carb and no carb.

So here we go yet again.

On a low carb regimen for weight loss (and I'll specify here because there is more confusion about the term diet) A low carb weight loss regimen will have a person eating less than 50 grams of carbs a day not including carbs from fiber because fiber doesn't spike insulin levels.

50 g of carb is about 4 slices of wheat bread or 8 cups of raspberries or 40 spears of asparagus

Since the average (fat) American eats over 60% of calories from carbs and 15% from protein any regimen that replaces carbs with protein can be considered a low carb diet.

If the average (fat) American eats 3000 calories a day then a full 1800 of those calories are sugar and only 450 are protein.

A regimen that swaps protein for carbs would have one eating 1800 calories of protein and 450 of carbs.

Now 450 calories of carbs can be 64 asparagus spears, 25 cups of cabbage, 30+ cups of cauliflower.

Get the picture yet? I am on a low carb regimen but I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables in lieu of high carb crap like grain based products.

If you eat plenty of fruits and veges-then you eat plenty of carbs.

I have tried many diet strategies in my life. (Not all the kind meant for weight loss)

I've done everything from raw foods only, vegetarianism, high carb low fat etc.

I always found that I felt something was missing, especially on the government recommended food pyramid.

Now the USDA food pyramid recommends 15% protein, 25% fats and 60% carbohydrates .

I came across anther food pyramid that illustrates why people who follow the USDA pyramid are getting fatter and fatter.

The feed lot pyramid is used as a guideline to fatten up livestock for slaughter.

It looks like this: 14% protein, 25% fats, 61% carbohydrates.

Is it any wonder Americans look like heifers and sows?
I *herd* about the feed lot plan years ago. Was very disturbed and ended the credibility of government health/food plans for me.

I have tried many diet strategies in my life. (Not all the kind meant for weight loss)

I always found that I felt something was missing, especially on the government recommended food pyramid.

Now the USDA food pyramid recommends 15% protein, 25% fats and 60% carbohydrates .

I came across anther food pyramid that illustrates why people who follow the USDA pyramid are getting fatter and fatter.

The feed lot pyramid is used as a guideline to fatten up livestock for slaughter.

Americans are fat because they consume more fat and calories than they expend. When complications from obesity begin happening, medical services are often free. Not much incentive for people to watch their diets.

Eating fat does not make you fat.

Just another myth perpetrated by the low protein high carb crowd.

Eskimos lived on a high fat high protein diet for thousands of years and had low body fat and no heart disease. The human body is better suited for burning fat for energy than it is sugar (carbs)

High insulin levels promoted by a high carb low protein low fat diet is a root cause of heart disease.

How Insulin Causes Heart Disease

So managing insulin levels is a good way to prevent heart disease.

And managing insulin levels is a good way to rid one's body of those extra pounds. I am living proof.

Losing weight and getting into shape is very simple (not easy): eat healthy AND exercise. It's surprising how little Americans know about simple basics: such as the difference between good carbs and bad carbs-so many people write all carbs off as bad, and they should be avoided at all costs. It just takes tons of dedicated-I used to obese and lost about 80 lbs (and gained quite a bit muscle mass), just by burning off more calories then I take in, and taking a multi-vitamin every day.

Not easy?
Says you.

I've lost a significant amount of weight and it's been quite easy. Effortless in fact. I keep my insulin levels under control by cutting out the carbs and refined sugars. I eat meat and eggs, veggies, fruits and nuts and I drink ample amounts of water on any given day. I'm rarely hungry and I don't have those spikes in my insulin levels that leave me tired and craving something sweet. I work out on a regular basis now and honestly, I've never felt better. The past four months have been some of the easiest weight loss I've ever experienced. I know I can eat whatever I want. I now choose to eat healthy foods. It's as simple as that.

Heck, for me, the number one improvement in my life has been reducing/eliminating Sodium Nitrite/Nitrate, Sodium Phosphate and MSG from my life. 40 lbs later, and radically reduced pitting edema has been the result. For me that's not as much as I'd have liked to lose, but I'm very happy with it.

Now to get off more carbs too as they're bad for me.

Everyone is looking for the magic "thing" to do that will magically result in weight loss. There isn't any. You can try diets until the end of time. None of them really work and when they do work it's not for long. Eat less, exercise more and change your muscle to fat ratio. Without changing that muscle to fat ratio, once you stop severe dieting you will simply gain it all back.

It is not easy. It is downright hard and requires intense concentration. Sweet/Fat withdrawal is painful like any other drug withdrawal. It is tolerable only if you understand that once you go through that withdawal you no longer want those things. They won't taste good anymore. What you used to love will be cloyingly sweet or greasy. UGH.

I exercise 3 days out of the week now but I'm not ready to give up on eating the things I like likes Churchs Chicken and drinking beer.:(

I've got to give up the Bailey's I've found myself drinking during the past couple of playoff games.

Everyone is looking for the magic "thing" to do that will magically result in weight loss. There isn't any. You can try diets until the end of time. None of them really work and when they do work it's not for long. Eat less, exercise more and change your muscle to fat ratio. Without changing that muscle to fat ratio, once you stop severe dieting you will simply gain it all back.

It is not easy. It is downright hard and requires intense concentration. Sweet/Fat withdrawal is painful like any other drug withdrawal. It is tolerable only if you understand that once you go through that withdawal you no longer want those things. They won't taste good anymore. What you used to love will be cloyingly sweet or greasy. UGH.

I exercise 3 days out of the week now but I'm not ready to give up on eating the things I like likes Churchs Chicken and drinking beer.:(

I've got to give up the Bailey's I've found myself drinking during the past couple of playoff games.

I love Baileys Irish cream, I should get a bottle of that soon.

So here we go yet again.

Finally you see that a low carb diet is more than sufficient. So do you realize now that you probably eat too many carbs?

Last edited:

I *herd* about the feed lot plan years ago. Was very disturbed and ended the credibility of government health/food plans for me.

It's funny how people don't realize that if you eat like a cow, you'll look like a cow.

I love raw milk, we had a couple of milk cows growing up.

Could never get used to goat's milk, though. We cooked with it, but we never drank it (we tried! And it didn't taste bad or anything, just wasn't the same).

We ended up using the goat milk for the animals (and sometimes cooking) and the cow's milk for us...and that worked out pretty well for everybody.

Losing weight and getting into shape is very simple (not easy): eat healthy AND exercise. It's surprising how little Americans know about simple basics: such as the difference between good carbs and bad carbs-so many people write all carbs off as bad, and they should be avoided at all costs. It just takes tons of dedicated-I used to obese and lost about 80 lbs (and gained quite a bit muscle mass), just by burning off more calories then I take in, and taking a multi-vitamin every day.

Not easy?
Says you.

I've lost a significant amount of weight and it's been quite easy. Effortless in fact. I keep my insulin levels under control by cutting out the carbs and refined sugars. I eat meat and eggs, veggies, fruits and nuts and I drink ample amounts of water on any given day. I'm rarely hungry and I don't have those spikes in my insulin levels that leave me tired and craving something sweet. I work out on a regular basis now and honestly, I've never felt better. The past four months have been some of the easiest weight loss I've ever experienced. I know I can eat whatever I want. I now choose to eat healthy foods. It's as simple as that.

Fruits and veges are examples of carbs. Some nuts also have a significant amount of carbs. You did not "cut out the carbs".

Last edited:

So here we go yet again.

Finally you see that a low carb diet is more than sufficient. So do you realize now that you probably east too many carbs?

I eat a lot of carbs-but the overwhelming majority of carbs I intake are fruits and veges, oatmeal, and sometimes whole wheat pasta. Of course I consume a good amount of protein as well. But my point is consuming few carbs isn't good for you. "Good carbs" can provide you with tons of energy and are great for you (obviously provided to actually get off your ass and use the energy).

Americans aren't fat. murkins are.
These were Americans.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StFhvAIv3Js&feature=related]The History of the Woodstock Festival - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back