And We Didn't Think The French Had A Sense of Humor

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Annie, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050205/ap_on_re_eu/france_anti_american_paper

They have a new 'satirical newspaper':

2. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    My best friend is from the Basque region of France . For a long time he only read newspapers and magazines from France . He didn't watch tv and because of a lack of truth he was a hater of President Bush . He and I couldn't even discuss politics because he just wouldn't listen , he had been taught for years that we didn't have a free press and we were fed nothing but propaganda . I've never stopped trying to get him to see our side of things . Something happened in his life , his wife left him and he is now with an intelligent woman who has satellite tv . He started watching our news programs (not even Fox) and because of the criticism of our President he sees that we do have free press . He read a French magazine that criticized the U.S. for only sending 40 million to the Tsunami victims and that started his change . He saw first hand that they were the propaganda source because he knew the truth. He watched the State of the Union Address and was blown away . He finally saw and heard the President and was able to make up his own mind . He saw W to be an advocate of freedom and peace for the world and has changed his mind completely , he felt that his speech was one of the best he had ever heard . He is now planning to go for his citizenship and become an American ! :usa:
    Amazing to witness , he is not yet a Republican but is now a big fan of the President . Now he watches the Ted Kennedys and John Kerrys and sees them for what they are . :clap1:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    It's a wonder. Over and over we have heard from Europeans that we do not have 'a free press'. Heck I would say even the most aware amongst us complain often and loudly about bias in the press. It's not so much that the news isn't there, just what they choose to invest space on.

But those of us that are determined to hunt info down, know that much of what is relevant is NOT found on the front page, but rather in 'capsules' of Nation or World. May only be a couple of paragraphs, but with the internet, that is all one needs.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Eh, the French are right to worry about grudges. It wasn't until the first wave of my generation (I'm 22) that the south started to truly get over the *Civil War*. I have a feeling it'll be a while before we start thinking of the French as anything good.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Shoot, many wonder about the French committment in the Revolutionary War. Seems they were in it for themselves. :eek: Now they are surprised that we may have an interest in our choice of battles!

6. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    jsut like they had an interst in not going in with us...lol
    but Hobbits right, it will take a very long time before the frogs can redeem themselves in "our" eyes

7. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    [​IMG]

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    :laugh: :teeth:

please no more whine!!

9. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Sitarro, not all the French are like your "best friend".
    Lkke not all the Americans are open minded.

Your friend like actually Bush, but what does it proove ? nothing. It is not because he starts to read US press that it open his mind, suddenly.
    Becuse there is a lot of anti Bush in USA, and this people read the US press...So, are they particularly close-minded ?
    Your friend may be influenced.

10. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001

Padisha ,
    What is your point? I was just telling a story of a Basque man that has seen the light of day .He actually listened to the President's speech without all of the bullshit twisting of the meaning . He did read a French newspaper later that week that totally butchered the speech , more control of the uninformed. I certainly don't think all French people are as intelligent as he is , judging by the large groups of protesters (that obviously don't work or are on strike ) , most aren't . The more informed people get , the less willing they are to believe the propaganda put out by biased sources .
    I bet you believe the crap about the superiority of the Airbus 380 , what a joke . At a time where airlines are barely staying solvent , the Euros come out with the biggest piece of crap ever . A 4 engined gas hog that will never be filled with paying customers . Of course it hasn't flown yet , we don't know if it will get off the ground empty much less with fuel and 800 people on board . Nothing more than an ego trip that will be as successful at making money as the Concorde . Once again Europe is about 20 years behind the technology/business curve .
    My ancestors were smart enough to leave France in the 1500s . . . thank God! How's that postal strike working for you Padish?