And there Obama does it again> XXXX the retirees of the military

The hatred of bripat and Gone Bezerk are obvious, and the lies are patently obvious.

They do not represent that which is the good of the GOP, and we are getting rid of the hate.

Change, losers, to winners, or leave quietly.

In fairness, I dont associate him with the GOP. He's a lunatic, and quite immature.

Now back to the regularly scheduled debate.........

171,000 Retirees Likely To Lose Tricare Prime

171,000 Retirees Likely To Lose TRICARE Prime Option

With the presidential election over, Defense officials are expected to announce soon that military retirees and their dependents living more than 40 miles from a military treatment facility or base closure site will lose access to TRICARE Prime, the military's managed care option.

These beneficiaries would be expected to shift to TRICARE Standard, their fee-for-service insurance option, which would mean an increase in out-of-pocket costs for beneficiaries who are frequent users of health services.

A total of 171,000 retirees and dependents are expected to have to shift coverage when remote Prime networks go away. Tentative plans are for this to occur April 1 in the West Region, which would coincide with UnitedHealth Military and Veterans Services taking over the region's support contract from TriWest Healthcare Alliance after 16 years.

It's going to be interesting to watch conservative Republicans play BOTH sides of the necessary budget cutting battle that has to happen.

171,000 Retirees Likely To Lose TRICARE Prime Option

With the presidential election over, Defense officials are expected to announce soon that military retirees and their dependents living more than 40 miles from a military treatment facility or base closure site will lose access to TRICARE Prime, the military's managed care option.

These beneficiaries would be expected to shift to TRICARE Standard, their fee-for-service insurance option, which would mean an increase in out-of-pocket costs for beneficiaries who are frequent users of health services.

A total of 171,000 retirees and dependents are expected to have to shift coverage when remote Prime networks go away. Tentative plans are for this to occur April 1 in the West Region, which would coincide with UnitedHealth Military and Veterans Services taking over the region's support contract from TriWest Healthcare Alliance after 16 years.

It's going to be interesting to watch conservative Republicans play BOTH sides of the necessary budget cutting battle that has to happen.

Yep.

They'd happily spend billions equippming and paying police in Kabul.
But they'd veto aid to police in Camden, NJ or Detroit.

They spend billions building schools in Iraq.
But demonize those who want to build schools in Mississippi.

The GOP is incredibly inconsistent and...whats the word...cliche'...when it comes to playing both sides of the "govt employees are evil and must be cut down to size" while also applauding reckless spending on govt employees in the military.

It's very clear that you have no idea what 20+ years in the military can do to a body. But thats ok, we do it so you don't have to.

I spent 20 years in the military, use Tricare Prime and live more than 40 miles from a military treatment facility and I have no problem with losing prime.

Wait until you trun 65 and get to shell out a couple of grand a year for medicare just to keep tricare standard.

What's a couple grand a year? I make $200,000 per year. If I can't afford $2000 per year, then that's my fault.

P.S. At age 65 my military retirement will $7,000 per month.

The military is gonna get cut down like the rest of government employees. Sadly.

I spent 20 years in the military, use Tricare Prime and live more than 40 miles from a military treatment facility and I have no problem with losing prime.

Wait until you trun 65 and get to shell out a couple of grand a year for medicare just to keep tricare standard.

What's a couple grand a year? I make $200,000 per year. If I can't afford $2000 per year, then that's my fault.

Are you saying all military retirees get that much, we both know the average is much less and the extra expense will hurt them. But what the hell you got yours, right?

This is not a huge jump in prices for veterans, it's a switch from tricare prime, to tricare standard.

Which, may, for some, result in some extra out of pocket expenses, which have a very reasonable cap.

So its not some ground-shaking massive change? Its just asking them to pay a tad bit more towards their own care........like the rest of us are having to do?

Sounds reasonable.

This is not a huge jump in prices for veterans, it's a switch from tricare prime, to tricare standard.

Which, may, for some, result in some extra out of pocket expenses, which have a very reasonable cap.

So its not some ground-shaking massive change? Its just asking them to pay a tad bit more towards their own care........like the rest of us are having to do?

Sounds reasonable.

According to the article, the average veteran family plan for tricare prime is roughly $600 a year. For tricare standard they dont pay anything up front, the first $300 of care is covered, and after that they have to pay 25% of allowable charges, which can't exceed $3000.

Also to note, these changes are only for veterans who live a reasonable distance from a facility.

Edit to add- depending on your family, your health and where you live, switching to tricare standard can be more cost effective than tricare prime, which is why half of retireees choose standard over prime. Plus with standard you get to choose your own doctor.

Last edited:

Are you saying all military retirees get that much, we both know the average is much less and the extra expense will hurt them. But what the hell you got yours, right?

Exactly. I got mine, by planning my career, choosing an NEC/MOS that transferred extremely well to a civilian industry and getting my degree before I retired. I didn't wait until SEPS classes to start thinking about life after the military.

See post 23

That's moronic. Why the fuck would a retired military person, who joined and stayed in based on some not even great benefits at the time, have to keep renegotiating those same benefits 20 years after retirement when the veteran lived up to everything in his side of the contract? That's the same thing as saying that a person who retired from a corporation would have to just deal with it if they later wanted to take his 401k money away 20 years after he retired. It's BS.

Veterans are not entitled to free healthcare for life.

veterans fill out paperwork to determine their co-pay based on their income, assests etc.
The idiots on this thread seem to not have a clue to the facts, only dementia with geriatric profanity disease.

Depends on your rank and or grade how much you get.

And with Standard you can use any doctor you want. On Prime you have to use the network doctors.

My wife is an Oncology RN, she was diagnosed with renal cancer and had to have her kidney removed. The doctor she wanted to use, one she had worked with and had cared for his post-op patients, wasn't on the Tricare Prime network. She switched from Prime to Standard and had the surgery. We paid a total of $750 for a kidney removal and a 6 day hospital stay.

I did view it and you need to take care of (1) and (2) below, dirtbag, before you smear the GOP again. We don't want your hate associated with it.

You need to apologize for not pointing out (1) this was set up, began, and continued during the Bush years, and (2) and for suggesting the 171,000 will not have care.

You are lying for base purposes.

You need to apologize to the people of America and particularly the good people in the GOP who do not want you to associate your hatred with the party.

You are not worthy to be Republican.

I see you didn't bother to go back and read the post, so fuck off till you do.

He earned his.

You are jealous?

Or lazy and a parasite?

Sounds reasonable.

If it sounds that reasonable, why aren't you advocating the same increases for the people getting medicade and chips? Most of them have a zero cost share.

Sounds reasonable.

If it sounds that reasonable, why aren't you advocating the same increases for the people getting medicade and chips? Most of them have a zero cost share.

Ok, I'll advocate that. THEY are all living off the taxpayer dime. They should only get what WE can afford.

And with Standard you can use any doctor you want. On Prime you have to use the network doctors.

My wife is an Oncology RN, she was diagnosed with renal cancer and had to have her kidney removed. The doctor she wanted to use, one she had worked with and had cared for his post-op patients, wasn't on the Tricare Prime network. She switched from Prime to Standard and had the surgery. We paid a total of $750 for a kidney removal and a 6 day hospital stay.

Have you heard of Operation Hero medical services?

Have you heard of Operation Hero medical services?

No.

Forum List

Back