"And I will Kill them with Death" - Revelation 2:23

Infallible Arbiter

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2021
There certainly is no shortage of the children of Jezebel in christianity and the world:

20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

23 ]And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Last edited:
There certainly is no shortage of the children of Jezebel in christianity and the world:

20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

This is not the Jezebel of the old Testament, but the Jezebel of the New Testament.

Its written to the Church of Thyatira. Evidently there was in the church at Thyatira a woman who was a very dominant leader. Jesus names her "Jezebel." That was not her name, of course, but the Lord always names people according to their character.

23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

This is not the Jezebel of the old Testament, but the Jezebel of the New Testament.

Its written to the Church of Thyatira. Evidently there was in the church at Thyatira a woman who was a very dominant leader. Jesus names her "Jezebel." That was not her name, of course, but the Lord always names people according to their character.
"the natural man understands NOT the things of the spirit" - I Cor 2:14

Yes, it was written to the church in Corinth.

And for all those with ears to hear.
Which you don't - you're deaf and blind.

"knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:" - Rev 3:17

"knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:" - Rev 3:17

“Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:”

Poverty of spirit is the opposite of the Laodicean attitude, Thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing Rev. 3 17a .

Ironically, those who think they have something to offer God are actually bankrupt and don t realize it. And knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked Rev. 3 17b .

The poor in spirit, on the other hand, are rich in faith and, because of that, will be rewarded in the kingdom to come. Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? James 2 5.

“Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:”

Poverty of spirit is the opposite of the Laodicean attitude, Thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing Rev. 3 17a .

Ironically, those who think they have something to offer God are actually bankrupt and don t realize it. And knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked Rev. 3 17b .

The poor in spirit, on the other hand, are rich in faith and, because of that, will be rewarded in the kingdom to come. Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? James 2 5.
So the Kingdom has not come to you -
And you're not at the Table.
Thus, you remain in darkness unto death.

How do you even tie your shoes?

How do you even tie your shoes?
I wear sandals.
Go figure.

Did you want a verse by verse breakdown?
No, in general. Let's start with the basics.

Revelation is basically in the form of a letter to the 7 real churches in Asia Minor: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea (see chapters 2 and 3).

This is unparalleled in apocalyptic writing and has to be due ultimately to the impact that Paul's letter writing made on the New Testament church. Paul's letters had become so important that the literary form was imitated even by an apocalyptic writer.

The book of Revelation as a whole has the external form of a letter in that it begins with an opening salutation (1:4-6) and closes with a benediction (22:21).

The contrast in literary form between the direct address of the letters and the symbolic drama of the remainder of the book is startling, but no more so than the fact that an apocalyptic writer identifies himself and calls his work a prophecy.

Frankly, my interpretation is far too rich to expound upon on a forum like this, or for that matter, any forum Online.
If you'd like, I'll confirm or deny any basic question you have concerning any verse you may not understand.
Revelation is child's play to me, so go ahead.

and calls his work a prophecy.
I will add that in the beginning, prophecy indicated words from God, not necessarily a foretelling of the future.

I believed that as a child.. but accurate prophecy was written after the fact.. The prophecies that are future telling or actually supposed to be in the near future, have not done so well.

Amd there were LOTS of schools for prophets from the time of king Saul.

Frankly, my interpretation is far too rich to expound upon on a forum like this, or for that matter, any forum Online.
If you'd like, I'll confirm or deny any basic question you have concerning any verse you may not understand.
Revelation is child's play to me, so go ahead.
Could it be a depiction of earth’s cyclical disaster? AKA micro nova and pole shifts.

accurate prophecy was written after the fact.
I agree that most, but perhaps not all. Most of us are capable of "reading the handwriting on the wall" and I believe that was true in Biblical times as well. But yes, the Bible is not a day-to-day journal. Stories are generally told after the fact, and that includes Biblical stories.

In one story Jesus is quoted as saying the Temple would be demolished. The story was written after the fact. Did the author make this a prediction of Jesus, or did people recall Jesus actually said this? My opinion is that if Jesus did say this, it was not a supernatural revelation, but rather reading the handwriting on the wall--i.e.the unrest between Rome and the Jewish people.

accurate prophecy was written after the fact.
I agree that most, but perhaps not all. Most of us are capable of "reading the handwriting on the wall" and I believe that was true in Biblical times as well. But yes, the Bible is not a day-to-day journal. Stories are generally told after the fact, and that includes Biblical stories.

In one story Jesus is quoted as saying the Temple would be demolished. The story was written after the fact. Did the author make this a prediction of Jesus, or did people recall Jesus actually said this? My opinion is that if Jesus did say this, it was not a supernatural revelation, but rather reading the handwriting on the wall--i.e.the unrest between Rome and the Jewish people.

To be a prophet one had to be a keen observer.

Forum List

Back