CDZ Anarchy: Moral Imperative or Inherently Immoral?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Brian Blackwell, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Brian Blackwell

Brian Blackwell BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +489
    This thread follows the conclusion of a conversation between myself and Xelor on the following thread:

CDZ - The Government of No Authority, Part 1: Law and Morality

The transitional comment is provided here for easy reference:

"I have claimed that any moral person must conclude that governmental law is of no authority and therefore to support it would be both illogical and immoral. Illogical because it asserts a non-existent authority, and immoral because it demands that a person act immorally where divergences with their moral standard occur, while contributing nothing where they align (subsequently providing only the potential for net immorality).

This suggests that we must adopt the anarchist position by moral necessity; however, the proposition that anarchy is inherently immoral is antithetical to this conclusion. How do we resolve this contradiction?"

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,369
    How is it a contradiction again? Don't be all fancy about it, either, Brian, please.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. martybegan

martybegan Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,293
    it all boils down to the difference between something in Theory, and the results you get from a real world application.

If you go with the notion of any form of government force being immoral, then yes, you can see anarchy as the moral solution to the issue.

However that theory does not assume the actual application of anarchy in the real world, which would probably devolve into some form of strongman/arms race fight between people of differing views, and thus the situation would end up devolving into the use of force anyway.

It's the same issue you run into communism in theory, and communism in practical application.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dogmaphobe

Dogmaphobe BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,634
    There are actually people who think that removing all the impediments to people causing great harm to one another isMORAL?

That is the very antithesis of morality as anarchy can only result in the most ruthless holding sway.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. martybegan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,293
    Unless you assume the perfect theoretical human who is not only willing to follow the rules when there are minimal rules, but will also not try to impose their own will via agressive action, or the threat of aggressive action.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,772
    Dear, God. The apocalypse must be nigh....

7. Brian Blackwell

Brian Blackwell BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +489
    In the previous post, I argued that a moral person must adopt an anarchist position to remain moral. Xelor suggested that anarchism may be inherently immoral, which would be an obvious contradiction, so we came here to sort it out and figure out if this is so.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Brian Blackwell

Brian Blackwell BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +489
    It sounds like we’re faced with the old “utilitarian vs categorical” model of morality argument. I believe the former to be unacceptably volatile from the outset, while the latter provides stability. I don’t know that morality can ever yield perfect consequences, but I think a categorical standard limits risk significantly.

9. Brian Blackwell

Brian Blackwell BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +489
    This assumption abounds, but I humbly submit that it’s poorly thought-out. It assumes humanity to be a bestial horde that will devour itself if left in its natural state, then suggests the solution to be clothing a portion of that same flawed herd in immense power. Power, mind you, that far exceeds anything possible in the absence of the proposed institution.

Unless we’re trucking politicians in from other planets, how could such an institution do anything but magnify the very immorality cited to justify its existence? And that’s precisely what it’s done. Show me how the nigh-unto unfathomable body count racked up by governments throughout history could be matched on an individual level.

10. martybegan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,293
    I think the discussion of various types of governing (even anarchy is a form of governance, i.e. the lack thereof) can allow one to think the ideal situations of each type can flow into reality. However we all know this is not the case.

Capitalism involving a republican form of government does the best job of dispersing power enough that true authoritarianism is difficult to achieve. Again it is not perfect, but it does the best to compromise between government power and individual (including business) rights.