Debate Now An Unhappy Birthday for Obamacare?

Check all statements that you believe to be mostly true:

• 1. I support Obamacare in its entirety as it is.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 2. I mostly support Obamacare in its entirety.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • 3. I want to see parts of Obamacare fixed.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • 4. I want to see most of Obamacare repealed.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 5. I want Obamacare repealed and replaced.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • 6. I want Obamacare repealed and a return to the free market.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • 7. Other and I'll explain with my post.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
What green beard says on the surface is true but looks are deceiving. Most economists peg 75 percent of the lower costs to a poor economy.

The further we get from the 2007-09, the harder it gets to keep pinning the entirety of the unprecedented era of health care we're experiencing on it. 2014 was the best economic year since the late '90s on a variety of metrics (which, by the way, is itself quite contrary to the doomsday predictions about the ACA's economic impact that were made in the years proceeding its launch), yet underneath the enrollment growth the trend continued.

Here's the Altarum Institute (which tracks health spending and prices) in their latest monthly look at health prices:
For the HCPI as a whole, only 2 of the 10 components saw increases in price growth (nursing home care and dental services). Some of this downward pressure is related to economy-wide price behavior, seen most clearly with durable medical equipment price growth of only 0.2% and price growth for other nondurable medical products actually falling by 1.1%. Yet, the price behavior for hospitals and physicians suggests that something else is happening. Are we seeing the first signs of newfound health care efficiency via insurance exchanges, high-deductible health policies, transparency, and more keeping health care prices contained? Health care and economy-wide inflation are quite low for this stage of the business cycle recovery. January 2015 was the 67th month of economic expansion following the recession, yet we are barely off the decade-plus HCPI low. A return to 2% growth for the HCPI now seems further off in the future.

Meanwhile, here's the editor of Modern Healthcare just a few weeks ago noting what's becoming increasingly clear: "The spending slowdown is real":
Over the past two years, conventional wisdom presumed without offering much in the way of evidence that the lingering recession and the rise of high-deductible and narrow network plans explained the slowdown in healthcare spending, now in its fifth year.

Indeed, most economists and the media echo chamber repeatedly said rapid spending growth would resume once the economy picked up steam, which it has. But healthcare spending growth has not.

The argument that the slowdown was transitory had a shred of plausibility in the privately insured market, where reporting is much less transparent and the impact of higher costs on households—a very real phenomenon—takes time to unfold.

But now, finally, the Mr. Joneses at the Congressional Budget Office have come around to admitting that something is happening here, even if they don't know what it is.
Most media accounts last week focused attention on the CBO's significantly lower projections for spending on premium subsidies available under the Affordable Care Act. As recently as January, the government projected over $1 trillion would flow to low- and moderate-income households buying health plans on the exchanges over the next decade.

Now, the CBO projects it will be $209 billion less because of lower overall premiums and—surprise, surprise—a reduction in the number of people who will need coverage. Fewer small and medium-sized businesses are expected to drop coverage because, lo and behold, insurance has become more affordable for employers because of the slowdown. . .

Suggesting the slowdown was transitory never made sense when it came to Medicare. Most seniors are insulated from the vicissitudes of the business cycle. And the last thing anyone would call Medicare is a high-deductible plan with a narrow network. Yet the slowdown has been just as dramatic there as it has been in the private insurance market.

Even the CBO now admits that the healthcare system has begun delivering lower-cost care to seniors. A year before the ACA passed, the CBO expected the CMS to spend $725 billion in 2015. Last week, it projected this year's spending would be just $632 billion, or $11,429 for each of the program's 55.3 million beneficiaries.

Much of the lower costs are because they don't have the number of people enrolling that they anticipated so that subsidies are much less.

As I already noted in the post above, per enrollee spending has fallen by almost a quarter relative to the projections "sold" back in 2010. That's a number that's independent of enrollment.

Besides that, the cost growth slowdown has also showed up in Medicare. Medicare's enrollment isn't affected by external factors, its network is quite wide, its deductibles haven't changed (though its premiums have fallen over the past few years), and its enrollees are more insulated from transitory economic influences than the average working-age person with private sector insurance. And yet Medicare, too, hasn't been immune from the history-making: Per Capita Medicare Spending is Actually Falling.
Medicare spending isn’t just lower than experts predicted a few years ago. On a per-person basis, Medicare spending is actually falling.

If the pattern continues, as the Congressional Budget Office forecasts, it will be a rarity in the Medicare program’s history. Spending per Medicare patient has almost always grown more rapidly than the economy as a whole, often by a wide margin.

And this goes well beyond what the ACA needed to balance its books.

Pre-ACA, Medicare spending in 2014 was on track to be $710 billion.

Post-ACA (which required the program to slow growth and get more efficient), Medicare spending in 2014 was expected to be $652 billion.

In reality, Medicare spending last year was $600 billion. The slowdown is producing huge savings in Medicare, above and beyond what was statutorily required by the ACA.

In addition, the plans have a very narrow focus and the deductibles are significant. Many are foregoing care because they do not have the deductible, which may or may not be a good thing. One could say we are reducing unnecessary procedures or one could say people can't afford the care they need. Obamacare does not insure all the uninsured as was promised so we sort of have the same situation we had before obamacare. Green cannot argue that choice has not been severely restricted or that doctors en masse don't like obamacare. Can't see where those are positives. Plus the benefits seem to be a boon(or boondoggle depending how you see it) for the poor and just another cross to bear for the middle class, who will have to absorb the brunt of obamacare.

As far as I can tell, part of the "problem" is that most people have spent so long insulated from market dynamics in the health sector that they don't recognize it (nor like it) when it appears. Different networks have different costs associated with them. Opening up a real, functioning market means that insurers get to price different potential networks and offer different networks (at different price points) for your consideration. You as the consumer then get to choose one based on the mix of price and access to various providers that you want.

The exchanges have lots of broad network plans in them (generally, as a matter of economic fact, those will cost more), but they also have lots of narrower network options. The latter have proven popular because they tend to be less expensive--that is to say, in an open market people seem to generally value lower premiums over broader provider networks. That isn't restricting choice, that's giving people a choice. You don't have to choose a more expensive broad network plan, there are lower-cost options available if you want them. It seems many people do.

Yes, this is different than the norm in the employer space, where 1) employees generally don't get to make decisions, 2) employers err on the side of giving them more, and 3) the insurance costs more than the offerings people are flocking to in the exchanges (which, again, can be up to 20% cheaper for plans of equivalent benefits and generosity compared to employer-based plans). Turns out when they have to spend their own money--even if they're getting a subsidy to supplement--people in open markets are price conscious and show you what they really value. These market dynamics are absent in the employer-based world, where folks tend to be used to getting everything and (seemingly, other than in their lack of wage growth) not paying for it.

As for deductibles, those are what expose consumers to price when they interact with health care providers (up to now I've been talking about market dynamics in the insurance market). If you've got a $250 deductible and Provider A is offering a service for $1,200 while Provider B is offering that same service for $5,000 you have very little economic reason to choose one over the other, since you're effectively paying the same thing either way. You may even be drawn to Provider B's higher price for certain perverse reasons.

And Green I do not understand why posts like yours have no relation at all to my real world experiences. My premiums last year alone went up 20 percent. My wife's costs for blood pressure medicines have quadrupled. Many doctors won't take obamacare because they can't stay in business with its payments. So you are presenting a macro picture which leaves out the micro problems.

Are you in the open market? Did you shop around? Or are you in an employer-based plan (and, if so, is it fully insured or self-insured)?

Finally I love the diagnosis that says we really won't be able to evaluate its success or failure til many years down the road. So we have to destroy our healthcare system before we know we have destroyed our healthcare system. Please, call a shrink.

The health care system is about as far from "destroyed" as it can get. On most indicators, it's never done better than it's doing right now.

The experience of just about everybody I know plus the medical community I know simply doesn't support the hype promoted by those who are paid to or have vested interest in supporting the ACA.

So we are hearing from those folks who love the ACA and who seem to be promoting it as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But for those of us who are definitely unconvinced and who want the act repealed, again what do you see as the best healthcare system for the USA?

RCP reprinted another article on the 5-year anniversary of Obamacare. And okay, I know many will not consider this to be an objective source, but refute it if you can:

Excerpt:

. . .“FACT: We’ve seen the largest drop in the uninsured rate in decades since the ACA became law. #BetterWithObamacare,” the official White House Twitter feed sent out Sunday.

“More than 16 million Americans have gained health coverage thanks to the Affordable Care Act. #BetterWithObamacare,” another tweet said.

First, it’s important to analyze this White House white lie. While more Americans do in fact have health insurance in the wake of ObamaCare, the administration fails to point out that citizens are required by law to do so or pay a fine. . . .​

. . .For example, having health insurance is not the same thing as having access to medical care or affordable coverage. The costs of health insurance premiums and deductibles have significantly increased, leaving families in even more dire financial situations. According to research from the Manhattan Institute, health insurance premiums for people living in a number of states across the country have gone up by more than 100 percent.

Overall, costs to the taxpayer have been enormous, with $2 billion spent on HealthCare.gov, which didn’t work properly for a year, and an estimated $2 trillion in addition to enforce ObamaCare over the next 10 years. Data from a Government Accountability Office report released in 2013 has been cited showing ObamaCare adds $6.2 trillion to the long-term U.S. deficit, a far cry from liberal claims that deficits would be reduced as a result of the law.

Further, and most detrimental, is the mass retirement of doctors. According to a 2013 study from Deloitte Center for Health Solutions, 62 percent of physicians will retire early with 55 percent limiting their work hours due to new rules and regulations. Not to mention the millions of people who lost their doctors and coverage because of ObamaCare, despite the president repeatedly promising that would never happen. . . .
Pavlich America isn t better with ObamaCare TheHill

Now in a world in which it is often said that there are "lies, damn lies, and statistics" and those with a vested interest in defending the ACA can and sometimes do use statistics in a way to make things appear very different from what they actually are. . .

. . .I wonder why those supporting the ACA are so unwilling to even consider the possibility that the negatives many many others are citing are valid? And that maybe Obamacare isn't delivering as advertised? And in fact may be hurting Americans and the healthcare system in very destructive ways?

Single payer, Medicare for all birth to death is a better system for the US. But....since doing what is best is often not possible in a democratic republic, we saw the compromise that led to the ACA.

Take a cue from the rest of the free, industrialized, modern world and adopt universal single payer health care.

Last edited:
RCP reprinted another article on the 5-year anniversary of Obamacare. And okay, I know many will not consider this to be an objective source, but refute it if you can:

Excerpt:

. . .“FACT: We’ve seen the largest drop in the uninsured rate in decades since the ACA became law. #BetterWithObamacare,” the official White House Twitter feed sent out Sunday.

“More than 16 million Americans have gained health coverage thanks to the Affordable Care Act. #BetterWithObamacare,” another tweet said.

First, it’s important to analyze this White House white lie. While more Americans do in fact have health insurance in the wake of ObamaCare, the administration fails to point out that citizens are required by law to do so or pay a fine. . . .​

. . .For example, having health insurance is not the same thing as having access to medical care or affordable coverage. The costs of health insurance premiums and deductibles have significantly increased, leaving families in even more dire financial situations. According to research from the Manhattan Institute, health insurance premiums for people living in a number of states across the country have gone up by more than 100 percent.

Overall, costs to the taxpayer have been enormous, with $2 billion spent on HealthCare.gov, which didn’t work properly for a year, and an estimated $2 trillion in addition to enforce ObamaCare over the next 10 years. Data from a Government Accountability Office report released in 2013 has been cited showing ObamaCare adds $6.2 trillion to the long-term U.S. deficit, a far cry from liberal claims that deficits would be reduced as a result of the law.

Further, and most detrimental, is the mass retirement of doctors. According to a 2013 study from Deloitte Center for Health Solutions, 62 percent of physicians will retire early with 55 percent limiting their work hours due to new rules and regulations. Not to mention the millions of people who lost their doctors and coverage because of ObamaCare, despite the president repeatedly promising that would never happen. . . .

Now in a world in which it is often said that there are "lies, damn lies, and statistics" and those with a vested interest in defending the ACA can and sometimes do use statistics in a way to make things appear very different from what they actually are. . .

. . .I wonder why those supporting the ACA are so unwilling to even consider the possibility that the negatives many many others are citing are valid? And that maybe Obamacare isn't delivering as advertised? And in fact may be hurting Americans and the healthcare system in very destructive ways?

We are willing to consider it. We have considered it. We have judged what many others are citing to be unfounded.

Maybe if those citing said negatives would have contained themselves early in and hadn't repeated every bit of BS that came down the pike....they'd have a little more credibility now.

Excerpt:

We are willing to consider it. We have considered it. We have judged what many others are citing to be unfounded.

Maybe if those citing said negatives would have contained themselves early in and hadn't repeated every bit of BS that came down the pike....they'd have a little more credibility now.

Well credibility sure hasn't been a strong suit of those promoting Obamacare has it.

Excerpt:

Well credibility sure hasn't been a strong suit of those promoting Obamacare has it.

Sure it has. You just have this convenient inability to discern a campaign promise from actual policy whenever it fits your narrative. You think a man is lying if he is unable to convince unwilling parties to meet him half way with a plan. You think President Obama has control over whether or not insurance companies make changes in their plans and physician pools. You think he was intentionally misleading people when he said that they would be able to keep their plans and doctors. Even though 95% of those insured pre ACA have done just that....you can't be honest about what took place.

Credibility? Please.

RULES FOR THIS DISCUSSION

1. No ad hominem. Affirm, criticize, or comment on statements made by Obama, politicians, commentators, writers, or other members, but do not comment on the character, credibility, motives, intent etc. of the person making the statement.
The experience of just about everybody I know plus the medical community I know simply doesn't support the hype promoted by those who are paid to or have vested interest in supporting the ACA.

Didn't take long for that rule to go out the window! Believe it or not, one doesn't need to be "paid to or have a vested interest" to see the overwhelming evidence that the American health system is getting better.

Coverage, quality/safety, and innovation have been climbing rapidly over the past five years, cost growth has sunk to all time lows. Insurers and health care providers are changing the way they do business, which has long-term potential to be extremely good news for just about everyone.

I respectfully disagree. And I think your charts do not reflect that information reported as buried in the CBO report published just this year.

Those aren't my charts, they're the CBO charts you're referring to! They're just screenshots of the reports (which I also linked to)--all I did was put a box around the relevant number.

The price tag for the ACA, both the total dollar and the per person spending amounts, has fallen precipitously since 2010.

Green let me state at the outset that I would like all citizens to be able to access healthcare. I don't believe that healthcare is a right but I do believe we have a responsibility to have compassion for those less fortunate. Although imperfect I found before obamacare that those needing life saving attention got it.

Even though my eyes are glazing over with your posts I am trying to read them and I have to thank you for forcing me to do a lot,of research on the subject.

The bottom line is that many of the cost reductions have happened, but the fact is that they are not happening because of a great design in obamacare but rather because of political and legislative sleight of hand.

First, you like to talk of greater competition. Foxfire stated in the op that the number of companies offering healthcare plans went from 1232 to 310. More competition?

2 percent of Medicare reduction came from sequestration which forced such a cut.

Just as with the passage of obamacare, where it didn't kick in til after the 2012 elections, the states will get to handle obamacare and it's problems in the coming years therefore having to swallow all the increases because the Feds will limit their contribution.
You re spending way more on your health benefits than you think - The Washington Post

Following up,on this article let me give an example of real life. Many of our employees get earned income BIG tax refunds. This year many were surprised to find that these payments were significantly reduced because of withdrawals by obamacare. So money that used to assist poorer people pay their bills and live is now going towards obamacare. I am not claiming that that is unfair but it just goes to show that the pie is finite.

Ok so I have posted links to increased drug costs, increased premium costs, limited care, etc. now drum roll please! Here is the reason you can cite these figures green ,and probably the reason per capita spending is down. No one can find a doctor to see.

Doctors Face A Huge Medicare And Medicaid Pay Cut In 2015 - Forbes

This was the only way to make the numbers work on obamacare initially and now the chickens are coming home to roost. Your macro picture is a fraud because it does not include all the pieces of the puzzle.

Is wellness training a good thing and a step forward, absolutely, but is being fired from your job because you smoke fair, absolutely not.

And while free testing is a hallmark of obamacare I think I can speak for many who have to take anything like a colonoscopy. You are warehoused, treated like a piece of meat, in and out( no pun intended), and 0 doctor patient relationship. Welcome to the future.

Green let me state at the outset that I would like all citizens to be able to access healthcare. I don't believe that healthcare is a right but I do believe we have a responsibility to have compassion for those less fortunate. Although imperfect I found before obamacare that those needing life saving attention got it.

Even though my eyes are glazing over with your posts I am trying to read them and I have to thank you for forcing me to do a lot,of research on the subject.

The bottom line is that many of the cost reductions have happened, but the fact is that they are not happening because of a great design in obamacare but rather because of political and legislative sleight of hand.

First, you like to talk of greater competition. Foxfire stated in the op that the number of companies offering healthcare plans went from 1232 to 310. More competition?

2 percent of Medicare reduction came from sequestration which forced such a cut.

Just as with the passage of obamacare, where it didn't kick in til after the 2012 elections, the states will get to handle obamacare and it's problems in the coming years therefore having to swallow all the increases because the Feds will limit their contribution.
You re spending way more on your health benefits than you think - The Washington Post

Following up,on this article let me give an example of real life. Many of our employees get earned income BIG tax refunds. This year many were surprised to find that these payments were significantly reduced because of withdrawals by obamacare. So money that used to assist poorer people pay their bills and live is now going towards obamacare. I am not claiming that that is unfair but it just goes to show that the pie is finite.

Ok so I have posted links to increased drug costs, increased premium costs, limited care, etc. now drum roll please! Here is the reason you can cite these figures green ,and probably the reason per capita spending is down. No one can find a doctor to see.

This was the only way to make the numbers work on obamacare initially and now the chickens are coming home to roost. Your macro picture is a fraud because it does not include all the pieces of the puzzle.

Is wellness training a good thing and a step forward, absolutely, but is being fired from your job because you smoke fair, absolutely not.

And while free testing is a hallmark of obamacare I think I can speak for many who have to take anything like a colonoscopy. You are warehoused, treated like a piece of meat, in and out( no pun intended), and 0 doctor patient relationship. Welcome to the future.

Excellent post Shrimpbox.

I really do not look for things to dislike about Obamacare. I am not an ideologue who refuses to look at anything that doesn't fit the party line etc. Which is why I posted earlier that there are some aspects within the law that I do like.

But the fact is that it is killing competition, it is driving thousands of physicians into retirement. We are still attracting doctors from out of the country both into the medical schools and as licensed phsyicians but American heathcare professionals are increasingly disallusioned. My elderly Aunt and Uncle have myriad health problems and, including their dentist, have a dozen doctors between them treating all those various problems. As their closest living relative, medical taxi driver, and primary caretaker when they need it, I was reviewing their list of doctors. One out of that dozen is American born.

And as you pointed out, medical facilities are merging and becoming more factory like, running patients through impersonally and business like with little or no compassion or concern for individual needs. This is mostly because of the lowered payments they get under the government mandates. Our healthcare group no longer assigns us a doctor because they don't have enough to go around any more. So we get whomever is available when we need to see a doctor. Both my husband and I lost our primary care physicians that we had for years and he lost his cancer doctor--all took early retirement rather than deal with Obamacare. IMO this will become more and more common, and according to my close friend who is an M.D. that is resulting in a lot of things getting missed and a lot of mistakes being made.

And the higher copays and deductibles coupled with the higher premiums and higher costs are really seriously hurting a lot of people that the Obama administration would have us believe are being helped. Those getting cheap insurance at this time like it a lot. But somebody else is paying the bills for that cheap insurance.

It isn't good.

Last edited:

Yes, more competition. Comparing the number of carriers in the general nongroup market (which still exists, by the way) to sellers in the federal exchange doesn't tell me much about competition or market dynamics.

Imagine one insurer has 90% market share in a state and 100 other sellers divvy up the remainder of the market (leading to virtually no price competition), while another state has 10 insurers scrapping and attempting to undercut each other's prices to gain market share. Should I be more comfortable with the static market in the former state because there are technically more insurers?

What I'd want to see in an actual competitive market is changes in price leadership as 1) new market entrants come in and offer cheaper products than legacy carriers, or 2) existing market leaders/participants respond to competition by mitigating premium increases or outright lowering their premiums to stay atop the market.

In other words, some kind of dynamism as insurers show they're actually, you know, competing for business. That wasn't exactly a hallmark of the pre-ACA insurance markets. But it does seem to be one of the ACA's marketplaces. Here's McKinsey looking at 2014-to-2015 premium changes in those marketplaces in 19 states:

Price leadership volatility is high; many rating areas have lower premiums

Competitive dynamics may lead to changes in price leadership in 59 percent of the rating areas in the 19 states. In 37 percent of the 165 rating areas, carriers have proposed introducing silver products less expensive than the lowest-price 2014 product (Exhibit 5). (The median decrease is $179 annually for a 40-year-old nonsmoker.) In 9 percent of the rating areas, gross premiums for the lowest-price 2015 silver products could drop by more than 10 percent (median decrease is $531 annually). In 35 percent of the rating areas in which the lowest-price silver plan could decrease, a new carrier is likely to offer the new lowest-price product in 2015; in most of these rating areas, a Medicaid new entrant could capture the price leadership position. Another 31 percent of the time, a higher-priced 2014 competitor (most often, a COOP) has proposed decreasing its premiums to become the new price leader.

Price leadership could also change in some rating areas where the premium of the lowest price silver plan increases. In these rating areas, another carrier could offer a product with a premium below the cost of the least-expensive 2015 plan offered by last year’s price leader.

The changes in price leadership appear to be having a dampening effect on premium increases. In the 59 percent of the rating areas that may have a new price leader, gross premiums for silver-tier products appear to be increasing more slowly than in rating areas where the 2014 leader is likely to remain in place (a median of 1 percent rather than 4 percent).

I don't recall seeing many insurers dropping their premiums to best competitors in the old market, nor for that matter do I recall significant chunks of the country seeing their available options get cheaper from one year to the next.

Maybe my recollection is just failing me: do you have some evidence that this kind of price competition was common among your 1,232 insurers a few years ago?

And yet Medicare spending last year was 16% below pre-ACA trends.

Following up,on this article let me give an example of real life. Many of our employees get earned income BIG tax refunds. This year many were surprised to find that these payments were significantly reduced because of withdrawals by obamacare.

I don't know what "withdrawals by obamacare" means. The tax penalty for going uninsured?

Medicare threatens to cut docs' pay every year or so (thanks to the GOP's 1997 Balanced Budget Act)--it never actually happens. Congress always overrides the threatened cuts. So they don't explain why actual Medicare spending has slowed so significantly.

As for the Medicaid component, that refers to the expiration of a large pay increase in the ACA. Medicaid-rate setting has reverted back to the individual states, whereas for the past few years the feds were contributing a significant amount of funds to pay primary care docs more. That provision expiring isn't a cut relative to what these docs were paid pre-ACA.

Anyway, access for Medicare beneficiaries in recent years has been on par with (and, in some years, slightly better than) that for comparable privately insured patients. So no, there's no evidence that "no one can find a doctor to see."

Percentage of Physicians Accepting New Patients with Medicare and Private Insurance, 2005-2012
image001.gif

But the fact is that it is killing competition, it is driving thousands of physicians into retirement.

Insurance markets have never been more competitive--the sheer number of insurers who outright dropped their premiums going into 2015 so they could better compete didn't raise your eyebrows at all? Or was that the norm in your insurance market in earlier years (if so, you're living in quite an abnormal place!)?

As for physicians retiring--the Baby Boomers are indeed starting to retire. You can point to any industry and find plenty of them starting to retire. Is there some secret plan to reverse aging the GOP has put out that I've missed?

And as you pointed out, medical facilities are merging and becoming more factory like, running patients through impersonally and business like with little or no compassion or concern for individual needs.

I'd be very interested in seeing some evidence on that. Now, for the first time ever, reimbursement is in part dependent on patient experience measures (based on surveying patients about the care and the treatment they got). Shared decision-making is explicitly pushed by the ACA (see "Inviting Patients To Help Decide Their Own Treatment"). The so-called "medical home" model of care, which is exactly the opposite of the factory experience you postulate, has never been more common and has been flourishing under the ACA.

In other words, you've got it exactly backwards. In fact, the whole idea of the "factory like" approach to churning through patients is based on the X-minute increment/volume-based model of paying for care (fee-for-service). Which is exactly the thing the ACA is working very hard to move away from. Hell, Obama just did a big event today on the new quality-over-quantity approach the ACA is advancing, touting all the private sector groups that have teamed up to make the health care "factory" an obsolete model. That's kind of the point here.

And the higher copays and deductibles coupled with the higher premiums and higher costs are really seriously hurting a lot of people that the Obama administration would have us believe are being helped.

I still haven't figured out how people can attack deductibles while simultaneously touting "market-based" health. Honestly, I just don't get it. If you want a zero deductible and a provider network that has everyone in it, you're not advocating reliance on the market--quite the opposite, you're demanding single-payer. A market-based approach has to be built on the idea that consumers should have financial skin in the game and that insurers should be free (indeed, encouraged) to construct an array of cost-effective products, which means network management.

Absolving the individual of any need to make a decision and weigh trade-offs is the antithesis of the market-based approached. As I said, that's the single-payer approach.

But the fact is that it is killing competition, it is driving thousands of physicians into retirement.

Insurance markets have never been more competitive--the sheer number of insurers who outright dropped their premiums going into 2015 so they could better compete didn't raise your eyebrows at all? Or was that the norm in your insurance market in earlier years (if so, you're living in quite an abnormal place!)?

As for physicians retiring--the Baby Boomers are indeed starting to retire. You can point to any industry and find plenty of them starting to retire. Is there some secret plan to reverse aging the GOP has put out that I've missed?

And as you pointed out, medical facilities are merging and becoming more factory like, running patients through impersonally and business like with little or no compassion or concern for individual needs.

I'd be very interested in seeing some evidence on that. Now, for the first time ever, reimbursement is in part dependent on patient experience measures (based on surveying patients about the care and the treatment they got). Shared decision-making is explicitly pushed by the ACA (see "Inviting Patients To Help Decide Their Own Treatment"). The so-called "medical home" model of care, which is exactly the opposite of the factory experience you postulate, has never been more common and has been flourishing under the ACA.

In other words, you've got it exactly backwards. In fact, the whole idea of the "factory like" approach to churning through patients is based on the X-minute increment/volume-based model of paying for care (fee-for-service). Which is exactly the thing the ACA is working very hard to move away from. Hell, Obama just did a big event today on the new quality-over-quantity approach the ACA is advancing, touting all the private sector groups that have teamed up to make the health care "factory" an obsolete model. That's kind of the point here.

And the higher copays and deductibles coupled with the higher premiums and higher costs are really seriously hurting a lot of people that the Obama administration would have us believe are being helped.

I still haven't figured out how people can attack deductibles while simultaneously touting "market-based" health. Honestly, I just don't get it. If you want a zero deductible and a provider network that has everyone in it, you're not advocating reliance on the market--quite the opposite, you're demanding single-payer. A market-based approach has to be built on the idea that consumers should have financial skin in the game and that insurers should be free (indeed, encouraged) to construct an array of cost-effective products, which means network management.

Absolving the individual of any need to make a decision and weigh trade-offs is the antithesis of the market-based approached. As I said, that's the single-payer approach.

Absolutely awesome. If only it were possible for one of these structured debates to have an ending.........

Greenbeard.......you win the internet!

Well lone is finally right about one thing, there never seems to be a conclusion so I will make this my last post on the subject. A tip of the hat to green and fox for an eminently civil discussion. I am not sure any of us has persuaded the other but I remain confident from a precedent basis of govt programs that I will be fully vindicated in the future. Let me close with just a few more responses to greens posts.

When Will The Government Start Forcing Doctors To See Obamacare Patients - Forbes

Study Nearly A Third Of Doctors Won t See New Medicaid Patients Kaiser Health News

Yes the last one is a little dated and is about Medicaid but that is the underpinning of obamacare and has only gotten worse. The info in the first link about the doctors in New York should be especially disconcerting .

In reviewing our debate I find that Green is arguing from an academic and bureaucratic point of view and fox and I are arguing from a real life standpoint. Green acquits himself well but I find he often talks past my points, a sentiment he my have about me also. Indeed I do not feel he has refuted that premiums are steadily rising, drug costs are out of control, doctors are becoming more scarce and selective, and the costs of the program will rise significantly in the future. Nevertheless this exercise has been a welcome respite from the backbiting and nastiness of other forums. Thank you

P.S. In a related note ken burns was on TV this morning promoting a three nite documentary on cancer that will appear on pbs mon, tues, wed. Anything by this guy is worth watching and he spoke with so much optimism about the new age of cancer research we are now in that I am enthused about watching it.

RULES FOR THIS DISCUSSION

1. No ad hominem. Affirm, criticize, or comment on statements made by Obama, politicians, commentators, writers, or other members, but do not comment on the character, credibility, motives, intent etc. of the person making the statement.

Didn't take long for that rule to go out the window! Believe it or not, one doesn't need to be "paid to or have a vested interest" to see the overwhelming evidence that the American health system is getting better.

Coverage, quality/safety, and innovation have been climbing rapidly over the past five years, cost growth has sunk to all time lows. Insurers and health care providers are changing the way they do business, which has long-term potential to be extremely good news for just about everyone.

The part you highlighted is NOT ad hominem. It refers to those who profit from the program and have a vested interest in promoting it. Just as I would promote something that I had a vested interest in.

Ad hominem would be if I said you or somebody else wanted something or promoted something with no facts in evidence to support that.

As for your other points supporting Obamacare, I believe those were adequately rebutted by my previous posts. I do not believe the evidence supports either better healthcare--that is certainly not the experience of my family--or lower costs which is also not the experience of my family and, if we believe the sources I posted, is not the experience of most people.

And since Obamacare went into effect the emergency rooms are crowded and overflowing more than they were before and now the urgent care centers are being backed up too. Why? Because there are fewer doctors treating more patients and they usually won't take a patient on short notice.

I am still surprised to this day to see liberals and progressives defend Obamacare even though it is categorically the virtual opposite of what they thought they would get when they voted for him.
Universal healthcare - not even close.
Single payer - not even close.
"Free" healthcare - uh, NO.
Remove the insurance vampires?....no, in fact they are better off.
Lower costs? - no.

Few argue that we needed some changes in our system.
Things like - Tort reform, cross-state exchanges, higher tax breaks for medical costs etc. etc. etc.
We got none of these either.
Instead we get something called insurance, but in fact it is government enforced extortion. "Insurance" that cost up to $14,000 a year, with a $6,700 deductible with a 30% co-pay - is NOT insurance. It is a really-really bad catastrophic plan that cost 20 times what they did before.
I am not for a total repeal. Because if that happens, it will be worse than it was before ACA. What I am for is a total overhaul.

I do not believe the evidence supports either better healthcare--that is certainly not the experience of my family--or lower costs which is also not the experience of my family and, if we believe the sources I posted, is not the experience of most people.

What do you think the evidence does support? Seems rather unambiguous to me.

Are hospitals getting safer? Yes. ("U.S. hospitals make fewer serious errors; 50,000 lives saved")

Are hospitals improving on key quality measures? Yes. ("The Joint Commission: Hospitals make strides on core measures with more achieving 'top performer' status"; Hospital readmission rates heading in the right direction)

Are the docs and hospitals that teamed up to coordinated care under the ACA showing improvement on quality metrics? Yes. (ACOs continue to succeed in improving care, lowering cost growth)

The reason these things are measured in a systematic way is to offer an objective picture of what's happening to "most people."

And since Obamacare went into effect the emergency rooms are crowded and overflowing more than they were before and now the urgent care centers are being backed up too. Why? Because there are fewer doctors treating more patients and they usually won't take a patient on short notice.

First of all, as The Economist noted in "Shock treatment: A wasteful and inefficient industry is in the throes of great disruption" just a few weeks ago, lots of innovative options for lower-acuity health issues are springing up and/or expanding. That includes more and more retail clinics and urgent care centers, precisely to give people who don't need to be in an ER other options.

For injuries and illnesses that are more serious but not immediately life-threatening, lots of “urgent-care centres” are being opened as an alternative to going to a hospital emergency unit. Private-equity firms are pouring money into independent chains of centres. Merchant Medicine, a consulting firm, reckons that between them, these chains now have just over 1,500 urgent-care centres, up from about 1,300 at the start of 2013. The market is still fragmented but a national brand could emerge from one of the largest chains, such as Concentra or MedExpress.

Some hospital operators, seeking to cut their costs of care, and choosing to be among the disrupters rather than the disrupted, are also opening urgent-care centres. Aurora Health Care, a Wisconsin-based chain of hospitals and clinics, now has more than 30 of them.

Hospital operators are now facing a classic “innovator’s dilemma”, as described by Clay Christensen, a Harvard business professor. If they persist with their high-cost business model even as their customers discover that cheaper alternatives are good enough, they will be in trouble. According to Strata Decision Technology, an analytics firm, many hospital groups saw what was coming and started to cut their costs well before the provisions of Obamacare started to bite. One of the fastest movers is Advocate Health Care, a hospital operator from Illinois, which says it now earns two-thirds of its revenues from value-based payments.

Thus far the system is not being overwhelmed: Report: Doctors Not Seeing a Surge in New Patients Under ACA.

Forum List

Back