An Interesting Theory

Discussion in 'Politics' started by random3434, Jan 16, 2011.

1. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Caligirl said;

I said:

So posters, why do you do it? Does it make you come across as smart? Do you think others will listen to your views when you START OUT a title or a thread already attacking?

Let us hear your reasoning behind it, from BOTH SIDES please.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,084
    I think they just prefer wearing their contempt for the opposition on their sleeve.

3. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    While others may not listen, you can't deny that someone starting a thread with a blatant attack WILL get responses within seconds, whereas something less inflammatory might have to wait a few minutes longer for responses. It's a simple attention getting mechanism.

4. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Yes. Neocon Republitard fascists are very receptive to being insulted. They're a little bit sadist in that respect.

5. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Not only starting with a blatant attack but certain names or issues are quick to get lots of responses.

Good example: The Pharmacist Abortion thread I started yesterday already has 79 replies. Another thread about Abortion and Birth Control of mine has 197 replies. Other threads on issues that are less inflammatory get far less attention.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    We need someone to hate. All the other groups that we used to have fun hating are now "protected". It's a result of trying to legislate morality.

7. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    It hardly matters.

I have asked a few times for some commentary in support of the Obama Presidency to date. The thread TITLES were inoffensive. But since I dared to pose the questions in a way that expressed my dismissive attitude toward President Obama, the liberals who replied to it at all were pretty much unwilling to address the actual question. They preferred, instead, to focus on the manner in which the question was posed.

I say that's a bullshit evasion technique. What actual difference does it make if you ask a question in a pristine and civil fashion or if you insert some editorial opinion into the way you ask the question? It becomes somehow impossible to ignore the eidtorialization of the questioner and answer the question?

Similarly, if the thread title contains a flaming disparagement of one's opposing political number, that will always be incidental to the question itself. If the question is legitimate (regardless of how it's couched) then the question can be answered.

What I don't get is when a member addresses a question to "Tea Baggers" for instance. Why would I want to tacitly agree with the premise of the idiot asking a stupid "question" like that? I reject that title, so I don't recognize the question as being put to me. That's different than merely inserting a political editorial spin on an otherwise general question.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Frankly I think we're all here looking for a fight. Sure, you may have used non-inflammatory language in creating the thread, but did anyone have any doubt as to the direction you would be looking to steer it?

edit: And don't get me wrong, the same would go for me or anyone else...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  9. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,677
    You know as well as I that it surely doesn't come out as intelligent but reaches out to other inflammatory posters to up the ante. I'd rather read a thread with intelligent debate with facts and interesting opinions. But that's just me.

10. Meister

Meister VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    I just can't believe all the rhetoric from both sides without a shred of evidence.
    I guess it's human nature for some to respond the way they do. Others just bait to get a response.