An Interesting Theory

The douchiness level of the thread title is directly and inversely proportional to the intellectual value of the post. Which is why it usually gets a quick response. It is low hanging fruit if you want to stomp on it.

An honest thread title with an honest opening post requires a great deal of thought, and if it is measured think piece, a good response may take a long time to think through.

But cats can fly.

flyingcat.jpg

Dis sure is in the wrong place then :)

This type of place attracts those who enjoy posturing in an autonomous environment without fear for reprisal. ie getting punched in the face or somesuch.
And yes many are just seeking a knee jerk response kind of attention just like children who misbehave at home as a way of getting attention.
Many tend to do things here they would never do face to face.
Such as myself freely admitting to all that I am an atheist. Boy would that get me on the major shun list with most around here;)

Baloney. I don't get shunned for being anti-religion. Probably because I let people have their own beliefs and I have mine..

While others may not listen, you can't deny that someone starting a thread with a blatant attack WILL get responses within seconds, whereas something less inflammatory might have to wait a few minutes longer for responses. It's a simple attention getting mechanism.

BINGO !!!

We have a winner.

Posters create threads to get readers and the opinions of others .. even those they may not agree with.

Best way to do that is with the title .. no different then the headlines in a newspaper.

This type of place attracts those who enjoy posturing in an autonomous environment without fear for reprisal. ie getting punched in the face or somesuch.
And yes many are just seeking a knee jerk response kind of attention just like children who misbehave at home as a way of getting attention.
Such as myself freely admitting to all that I am an atheist. Boy would that get me on the major shun list with most around here;)

Baloney. I don't get shunned for being anti-religion. Probably because I let people have their own beliefs and I have mine..

You live in the bible belt?
You do not know how folks around here are. It would keep one from getting jobs or customers here.
but then I guess the entire world is all just like where you live.
;)

It hardly matters.

I have asked a few times for some commentary in support of the Obama Presidency to date. The thread TITLES were inoffensive. But since I dared to pose the questions in a way that expressed my dismissive attitude toward President Obama, the liberals who replied to it at all were pretty much unwilling to address the actual question. They preferred, instead, to focus on the manner in which the question was posed.

Frankly I think we're all here looking for a fight. Sure, you may have used non-inflammatory language in creating the thread, but did anyone have any doubt as to the direction you would be looking to steer it?

edit: And don't get me wrong, the same would go for me or anyone else...

The nature of ANY debate is one side takes the "pro" position and the other side takes the "con" position. I obviously believe that the Obama Administration has been a massive failure to date in most regards.

So?

I didn't expect anybody who thinks otherwise to agree with me. What I did expect was that maybe some of the liberals might be able to logically discuss the proposition that he hasn't been a failure by resorting to verifiable facts and logical syllogisms.

I don't dislike everything about President Obama. I do find his politics to be odious. Liberals are free to disagree, but, for example, I would love to hear a liberal provide a REASONED defense of why President Obama's so-called "Obamacare legislation" imposes an assortment of new taxes on us for several years before most of the program itself (by law) kicks in. Is it overly really unfair or unreasonable to suggest that such legislation is insidious and cynical?

Reasoned or not, you will reject the defense, which I will now prove in re: to the meme you have just repeated.

PolitiFact Virginia | Cantor says health care reform collects 10 years of taxes for six years of benefits

The first 4 years collect only 10% of the tax; And there are benefits that exist during those first 4 years. Yes, the major legislation doesn't start until the 5th, but neither does the majority of the taxes. Politifact calls it "Half True" which I think is being quite generous to Mr. Cantor.

If another who is not an athiest can't be tolerant enough to accept you as you are, I can't think much of their beliefs. I am particularly fond of honesty, my friend.

If another who is not an athiest can't be tolerant enough to accept you as you are, I can't think much of their beliefs. I am particularly fond of honesty, my friend.

Strangely enough those who can accept me as a good person but atheist are the most devout true Christians I know of.

We have some excellent bait fishermen here. Some should probably even start there own shrimp, swordfish, lobster companies.
The quickest way to achieve 10000 views and 0 responses is to use intelligent thought with multi syllable words.

Caligirl said;

Accusing a group with the actions of an individual is not the response of an intelligent person.

I said:

Yeah, you may want to get that memo out to about everyone that posts on here, and on every message board in the country.

Libtards, neocons, DemocRATS, nutters, rightwing loons, et al..just look at the titles of all the thread here

So posters, why do you do it? Does it make you come across as smart? Do you think others will listen to your views when you START OUT a title or a thread already attacking?

Let us hear your reasoning behind it, from BOTH SIDES please.

I rarely refer to individuals, I stick to what Islamic scripture says about mushrikun and jihad.
Or what progressives have said in the past to compare with current events

We have some excellent bait fishermen here. Some should probably even start there own shrimp, swordfish, lobster companies.
The quickest way to achieve 10000 views and 0 responses is to use intelligent thought with multi syllable words.

This is true. And the converse is true as well...unintelligent posts with single syllable words achieve 10,000 views and 10,000 responses.

See a Gunny thread which usually says "WANNA DANCE? BRING IT, NOTHERFUCKKERS!"

Personally, I try (note - try, sometimes I fail) to identify posters as individuals, and - apart from one poster - I insult people only on their intellect. I do that because the only factual information I have about that person is about their intellect. So, I will call someone stupid, dumb, moron or similar. I differentiate between 'lefties' (the drooling hordes who clearly get their 'facts' from biased media) and liberals (who provide some intellectual argument for their stance). I have no problem with liberals, I do have 'issues' with lefties.

However, I am equally as likely to slap a right winger for regurgitating bullshit from my own 'side'. I think I reasonably fair in my bitchslapping.

But, when one posts shit.... for example, MarcALT's recent thread about 'Palin's Assassination List' who in his OP claimed he was looking for an honest debate. You cannot start an honest debate with a blatant lie designed solely to inflame others. Want an honest discussion - start with an honest OP. Otherwise, you get what you ask for.

Personally, I try (note - try, sometimes I fail) to identify posters as individuals, and - apart from one poster - I insult people only on their intellect. I do that because the only factual information I have about that person is about their intellect. So, I will call someone stupid, dumb, moron or similar. I differentiate between 'lefties' (the drooling hordes who clearly get their 'facts' from biased media) and liberals (who provide some intellectual argument for their stance). I have no problem with liberals, I do have 'issues' with lefties.

However, I am equally as likely to slap a right winger for regurgitating bullshit from my own 'side'. I think I reasonably fair in my bitchslapping.

But, when one posts shit.... for example, MarcALT's recent thread about 'Palin's Assassination List' who in his OP claimed he was looking for an honest debate. You cannot start an honest debate with a blatant lie designed solely to inflame others. Want an honest discussion - start with an honest OP. Otherwise, you get what you ask for.

I have no respect for anyone who is political.

I have no respect for anyone who is political.

I have no respect for anyone. Period. :lol:

It hardly matters.

I have asked a few times for some commentary in support of the Obama Presidency to date. The thread TITLES were inoffensive. But since I dared to pose the questions in a way that expressed my dismissive attitude toward President Obama, the liberals who replied to it at all were pretty much unwilling to address the actual question. They preferred, instead, to focus on the manner in which the question was posed.

Frankly I think we're all here looking for a fight. Sure, you may have used non-inflammatory language in creating the thread, but did anyone have any doubt as to the direction you would be looking to steer it?

edit: And don't get me wrong, the same would go for me or anyone else...

I'm here looking for peace and quiet.

:rofl:

The douchiness level of the thread title is directly and inversely proportional to the intellectual value of the post. Which is why it usually gets a quick response. It is low hanging fruit if you want to stomp on it.

An honest thread title with an honest opening post requires a great deal of thought, and if it is measured think piece, a good response may take a long time to think through.

It is supposed to be AN Interesting Theory. It failed gramatically and in practice.

You have to let anyone start a thread. If we confined it to only the intellectually gifted, no liberal thread would ever get started. :eusa_shhh:

New Topics

Forum List

Back