An example of a bad shooting during a robbery.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
The Daily Mail is showing this incident as an example of what a citizen with a gun can do to stop crime. There is a few problems, but let’s start with the link.

Customer shoots robber through the drive through window of a fast food outlet before speeding away | Daily Mail Online

The first problem looking at the video is that he fired through the window and while the shooter did hit the robber, he came within a handful of inches of hitting the victim. This is an example of a bad time to shoot. It would have been one thing if the robber was preparing to fire, or brandishing a gun, or even starting to shoot. It is another entirely when you start spraying rounds down range and hit he robber along with the drinks machine, the cash register, and everything else including the windows. In short, the robbery suspect was taking a little over two hundred dollars. The “good guy” wound up doing a hell of a lot more financial damage than that destroying and damaging the equipment.

The bad guy collapsed outside. Ok, so despite the flurry of rounds fired, the only thing that died was the cash register, and the drinks machine.

Finally. The good guy became a bad guy himself when he fled the scene. That makes it assault with a deadly weapon, destruction of private property, and attempted murder times two. This wasn’t a good guy, this was a guy already breaking the law. Running around with a loaded gun in your car is a violation of California Law. Unless he had a permit, which I doubt because the “hero” fled the scene.

Transporting Guns in California

So the armed robbery suspect is looking at a couple years in prison, if convicted. The good guy is looking at a lot more time in prison, when or if he is found and convicted, which in California I can just about guarantee he will be convicted if he is tried.

This was not a heroic act. It was a child with a gun, firing regardless of the danger he was putting others in. At most, he was a wannabe hero.

No, I am not a fan of gun control laws, but I am a big supporter of common sense and restraint when it comes to employing firearms in defensive situations.

Sounds like the typical gun nut. Afraid to face the world unarmed, and constantly hoping for the chance to play a Dirty Harry part in real life to give his pathetic existance meaning. The type person who will fire first because they think that's what Dirty Harry would do.

Sounds like the typical gun nut. Afraid to face the world unarmed, and constantly hoping for the chance to play a Dirty Harry part in real life to give his pathetic existance meaning. The type person who will fire first because they think that's what Dirty Harry would do.

By your standards, I am certain you would consider me a Gun Nut. Not only do I own several firearms, but I am licensed by the State of Georgia to carry a firearm concealed, and I usually do carry one when I leave the house.

However, like a vast majority of those whom you deride as a “gun nut” I would not have fired in that situation. I wouldn’t have even pulled my pistol out. Too great a risk of a bystander getting hurt.

The police of course, would have started shooting right away.

By your standards, I am certain you would consider me a Gun Nut. Not only do I own several firearms, but I am licensed by the State of Georgia to carry a firearm concealed, and I usually do carry one when I leave the house.

However, like a vast majority of those whom you deride as a “gun nut” I would not have fired in that situation. I wouldn’t have even pulled my pistol out. Too great a risk of a bystander getting hurt.

The police of course, would have started shooting right away.

I didn't say gun owners. I have guns too. There is a YUUUUUGE difference between sane reasonable gun owners and gun nuts.

Forum List

Back