An ancient forest is back from the ice

Geez, I wouldn't even know where! I mean - you could just be handing off a fortune to a total stranger, and how do you know they wouldn't just run with it?!

But what's really shocking? Is that a liberal thought we could discuss this without bringing up global warming.

And guess who dropped the ball.

;)

This kind of thing should help true scientists figure out what is going on. Clinging to the idea of either global warming or not, being partisan about it, is not what a true scientist does.

But what's really shocking? Is that a liberal thought we could discuss this without bringing up global warming.

;)

This kind of thing should help true scientists figure out what is going on. Clinging to the idea of either global warming or not, being partisan about it, is not what a true scientist does.

Then all the ones working for the IPCC are not true scientists.

;)

Then all the ones working for the IPCC are not true scientists.

What you are really stating is that all the scientists in the world that present evidence and come to conclusions that differ from your political version of 'reality' are not true scientists.

The buried forest that is being excavated can tell us a great deal about climate variations in that locality for the period that it was growing there. When taken together with other data, sea sediment and lacustrian sediment cores, stalagmite sections in caves, from around the world, we can begin to peice together a picture of the world as it was at that time. A fascinating endevour.

This is truly amazing. I wonder what else they will find as ground is freed?

More-aine. ;-)

Did no one see this or is it not as funny as I thought it was?

Went over my head, sorry.

Hmm... for anyone else that isn't rolling helpless on the floor with laughter...

mo·raine [muh-reyn]
noun
a ridge, mound, or irregular mass of unstratified glacial drift, chiefly boulders, gravel, sand, and clay.
a deposit of such material left on the ground by a glacier.

Did no one see this or is it not as funny as I thought it was?

Hmm... for anyone else that isn't rolling helpless on the floor with laughter...

mo·raine [muh-reyn]
noun
a ridge, mound, or irregular mass of unstratified glacial drift, chiefly boulders, gravel, sand, and clay.

No. I knew the definition. I don't get why you stuck a hyphen in it and thought it was amusing enough that people should respond.

It's the "aine" part that no one is getting.

Maybe referencing Aine, the Irish goddess of summer? If so, a darn obscure reference. I had never heard of her before just looking it up.

This is truly amazing. I wonder what else they will find as ground is freed?

What else could you find under a melting glacier? Hmmmm.. Heard last week about a find..

Treasure found in glacier off Mont Blanc | News.com.au

A FORTUNE in jewels lost in a plane crash decades ago has emerged from an alpine glacier, where a young French climber stumbled on a frozen treasure chest.

The emeralds, rubies and sapphires, estimated to be worth up to $332,000, lay hidden in a metal box that was on board an Indian plane that crashed in the desolate glacial landscape off Mont Blanc in the French Alps some 50 years ago.

The climber turned the haul in to local police.

Remember the slang for jewels? That's some nice ice...

How many people would have turned them in?

Most -- unless they turned up in Philly or Oakland.....
They are probably very recognizable as a set.. You'd have to break them up to try and cash them..

mo·raine [muh-reyn]
noun

No. I knew the definition. I don't get why you stuck a hyphen in it and thought it was amusing enough that people should respond.

Well... I stuck the hyphen in it because I replaced "mor" that the word begins with, with "more" so that it would be an answer to "what else will we see?" and everyone would catch it. I don't know if that's a pun or a homonym or a double entendre or an iterated affine transform or the collapse of a 26 dimensional Dedekind eta wave equation but I thought it was dang clever. I mean, no one else thought of it. And it's perfect. "What ELSE will we see when the GLACIER recedes"? I should have gotten an attaboy at the very least.

But... if you thought it was dull and insipid and boring and puerile and callow and jejune and commonplace and drab and threadbare and bromidic and so not worth the trip to the thesaurus this witty repartee required...

Ahhh... I'm just burned out on arguing AGW. Have a nice day. Look out for attack frogs.
They're worse than camels. That's NOT frog-spit, as fun as that would be. Nice to meet you.

mo·raine [muh-reyn]
noun

Well... I stuck the hyphen in it because I replaced "mor" that the word begins with, with "more" so that it would be an answer to "what else will we see?" and everyone would catch it. I don't know if that's a pun or a homonym or a double entendre or an iterated affine transform or the collapse of a 26 dimensional Dedekind eta wave equation but I thought it was dang clever. I mean, no one else thought of it. And it's perfect. "What ELSE will we see when the GLACIER recedes"? I should have gotten an attaboy at the very least.

But... if you thought it was dull and insipid and boring and puerile and callow and jejune and commonplace and drab and threadbare and bromidic and so not worth the trip to the thesaurus this witty repartee required...

Ahhh... I'm just burned out on arguing AGW. Have a nice day. Look out for attack frogs.
They're worse than camels. That's NOT frog-spit, as fun as that would be. Nice to meet you.

Attaboy.

If it helps any, my best friend would have found it very well-done. If I asked why, she would not mock me, or alternatively sulk. She would just explain. My appreciation would be detained - but it would happen.

You handled this situation rather badly, grasshopper.

mo·raine [muh-reyn]
noun

My thanks for the chuckle is on the previous page.. And has been there since noon..
Tough crowd..

Forum List

Back