An ancient forest is back from the ice

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Stumps and logs have been popping out from under southern Alaska's Mendenhall Glacier — a 36.8-square-mile (95.3 square kilometers) river of ice flowing into a lake near Juneau — for nearly the past 50 years. However, just within the past year or so, researchers based at the University of Alaska Southeast in Juneau have noticed considerably more trees popping up, many in their original upright position and some still bearing roots and even a bit of bark, the Juneau Empire first reported last week. "There are a lot of them, and being in a growth position is exciting because we can see the outermost part of the tree and count back to see how old the tree was," Cathy Connor, a geology professor at the University of Alaska Southeast who was involved in the investigation, told LiveScience's OurAmazingPlanet. "Mostly, people find chunks of wood helter-skelter, but to see these intact upright is kind of cool."

The team has tentatively identified the trees as either spruce or hemlock, based on the diameter of the trunks and because these are the types of trees growing in the region today, Connor said, but the researchers still need to further assess the samples to verify the tree type. A protective tomb of gravel likely encased the trees more than 1,000 years ago, when the glacier was advancing, Connor said, basing the date on radiocarbon ages of the newly revealed wood. As glaciers advance, Connor explained, they often emit summer meltwater streams that spew aprons of gravel beyond the glacier's edge. [Images: Shrinking Alaska Glacier Spied from Space] A gravel layer about 4 to 5 feet (1.2 to 1.5 meters) high appears to have encased the trees before the glacier ultimately advanced enough to plow over them, snapping off limbs and preserving the stumps in an ice tomb.

This is truly amazing. I wonder what else they will find as ground is freed?

Stumps and logs have been popping out from under southern Alaska's Mendenhall Glacier — a 36.8-square-mile (95.3 square kilometers) river of ice flowing into a lake near Juneau — for nearly the past 50 years. However, just within the past year or so, researchers based at the University of Alaska Southeast in Juneau have noticed considerably more trees popping up, many in their original upright position and some still bearing roots and even a bit of bark, the Juneau Empire first reported last week. "There are a lot of them, and being in a growth position is exciting because we can see the outermost part of the tree and count back to see how old the tree was," Cathy Connor, a geology professor at the University of Alaska Southeast who was involved in the investigation, told LiveScience's OurAmazingPlanet. "Mostly, people find chunks of wood helter-skelter, but to see these intact upright is kind of cool."

The team has tentatively identified the trees as either spruce or hemlock, based on the diameter of the trunks and because these are the types of trees growing in the region today, Connor said, but the researchers still need to further assess the samples to verify the tree type. A protective tomb of gravel likely encased the trees more than 1,000 years ago, when the glacier was advancing, Connor said, basing the date on radiocarbon ages of the newly revealed wood. As glaciers advance, Connor explained, they often emit summer meltwater streams that spew aprons of gravel beyond the glacier's edge. [Images: Shrinking Alaska Glacier Spied from Space] A gravel layer about 4 to 5 feet (1.2 to 1.5 meters) high appears to have encased the trees before the glacier ultimately advanced enough to plow over them, snapping off limbs and preserving the stumps in an ice tomb.

that will be some expensive wood

if they can find big enough trunks

• Banned
But what's really shocking? Is that a liberal thought we could discuss this without bringing up global warming.

And guess who dropped the ball.

;)

But what's really shocking? Is that a liberal thought we could discuss this without bringing up global warming.

;)

you would be surprised at what they find around these glaciers

What else could you find under a melting glacier? Hmmmm.. Heard last week about a find..

Treasure found in glacier off Mont Blanc | News.com.au

A FORTUNE in jewels lost in a plane crash decades ago has emerged from an alpine glacier, where a young French climber stumbled on a frozen treasure chest.

The emeralds, rubies and sapphires, estimated to be worth up to $332,000, lay hidden in a metal box that was on board an Indian plane that crashed in the desolate glacial landscape off Mont Blanc in the French Alps some 50 years ago.

The climber turned the haul in to local police.

Remember the slang for jewels? That's some nice ice...

What else could you find under a melting glacier? Hmmmm.. Heard last week about a find..

A FORTUNE in jewels lost in a plane crash decades ago has emerged from an alpine glacier, where a young French climber stumbled on a frozen treasure chest.

The emeralds, rubies and sapphires, estimated to be worth up to $332,000, lay hidden in a metal box that was on board an Indian plane that crashed in the desolate glacial landscape off Mont Blanc in the French Alps some 50 years ago.

:eek: WHOA.

;)

That's why I found this so exciting! I'm kind of jealous of the team that gets to work this site. :)

Female woolly mammoth

Woolly mammoth found frozen in Siberia after 39,000 YEARS goes on display in Tokyo (and it's still woolly!) | Mail Online

I'm kind of jealous of the team that gets to work this site.

are you from the Minnesota

there are some excellent places to find arrowheads and scrappers and such

That's why I found this so exciting! I'm kind of jealous of the team that gets to work this site. :)

Female woolly mammoth

Woolly mammoth found frozen in Siberia after 39,000 YEARS goes on display in Tokyo (and it's still woolly!) | Mail Online

Yes, I am. And I know that, but not the specific places.

I should talk to my best friend. She's much more up on the history of the state etc than I.

Female woolly mammoth

I should talk to my best friend. She's much more up on the history of the state etc than I.

over the years between my brothers and myself we have picked up

over 5000 pieces

arrowheads knives scrappers pottery pieces mallets grinders

mostly in the southern part of the state

i love the pottery pieces the best

on some of them you can see finger imprints with partial finger prints

truly amazing

Female woolly mammoth

over 5000 pieces

truly amazing

What do you do with them?

over 5000 pieces

truly amazing

hang on to most of them

we used to take them to public schools for demonstrations and such

some things we have given away to museums and state parks

currently i have been working what we believe was a buffalo jump

over 5000 pieces

truly amazing

hang on to most of them

"Buffalo jump?"

hang on to most of them

"Buffalo jump?"

a buffalo jump is where the native Americans would

run buffalo over a cliff where they would bust their legs and backs and such

so they could process them for food

there is a pretty big one in Pipestone Minnesota in the park

plus you can see the pipestone mines

How many people would have turned them in?

Forum List

Back