An African American author

TheParser

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2017
I have just finished reading a book review about an African American author named Chester B. Himes (1904 - 1984).

If any member/guest is interested in African American writers, you might consider reading some of Mr. Himes's books.

Here are just a few points from that review:

1. "Today, Himes's belief in the implacable force of white supremacy -- what is now called Afro-pessimism -- enjoys a growing vogue among black intellectuals."

2. "His unsparing depiction of black poverty, his insistence on the sheer ugliness of social misery, seem rather dated in an age when black American writers, artists and film makers have been creating more redemptive visions of the inner city."

3. "[O]f all the injuries inflicted by racism, the one that he resented most was its destruction of patriarchal masculinity."

4. "The only black intellectual Himes praised without reservation was Malcolm X."

5. He wrote his memoirs called The Quality of Hurt and My Life of Absurdity.

a. The book reviewer feels that together they "comprise one of the great autobiographies of literary exile [Mr. Himes eventually moved to France]": "brave in its self-scrutiny, meticulous in its anatomy of the physical and emotional toll of racism, gripping in its portrait of a sensitive, volatile, sometimes monstrous man."

Title of article: "Writing Absurdity"
Author: Adam Shatz (who is reviewing Chester B. Himes: A Biography by Lawrence P. Jackson)
Magazine: London Review of Books (print edition of April 26, 2018)

Last edited:
I have just finished reading a book review about an African American author named Chester B. Himes (1904 - 1984).

If any member/guest is interested in African American writers, you might consider reading some of Mr. Himes's books.

1. "Today, Himes's belief in the implacable force of white supremacy -- what is now called Afro-pessimism -- enjoys a growing vogue among black intellectuals."

2. "His unsparing depiction of black poverty, his insistence on the sheer ugliness of social misery, seem rather dated in an age when black American writers, artists and film makers have been creating more redemptive visions of the inner city."

3. "[O]f all the injuries inflicted by racism, the one that he resented most was its destruction of patriarchal masculinity."

4. "The only black intellectual Himes praised without reservation was Malcolm X."

a. The book reviewer feels that together they "comprise one of the great autobiographies of literary exile [Mr. Himes eventually moved to France]": "brave in its self-scrutiny, meticulous in its anatomy of the physical and emotional toll of racism, gripping in its portrait of a sensitive, volatile, sometimes monstrous man."

Author: Adam Shatz (who is reviewing Chester B. Himes: A Biography by Lawrence P. Jackson)

I started reading Chester Himes in high school, and have seen all of his movies. Look up "Comeback Charleston Blue, and A Rage in Harlem".

As most black literary figures who were his contemporaries, he wrote from the perspective of his own personal experience of living as an adult in the middle of the Jim Crow era.

Much of his work follows a similar theme and sentiment. If you have not heard of or read James Baldwin, try looking him up.
You will see the similarity.

Last edited:

I started reading Chester Himes in high school, and have seen all of his movies. Look up "Comeback Charleston Blue, and A Rage in Harlem".

As most black literary figures who were his contemporaries, he wrote from the perspective of his own personal experience of living as an adult in the middle of the Jim Crow era.

Much of his work follows a similar theme and sentiment. If you have not heard of or read James Baldwin, try looking him up.

Be careful. Some of the race-nuts here will get all worked up over Himes' mixed-race marriage.

Be careful. Some of the race-nuts here will get all worked up over Himes' mixed-race marriage.

Truth for certain Unk.

I

Because white supremacy is true and everybody knows it. Every country, state, or city in the world that is majority black is a sewer.

Forum List

Back