Ammo Up

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
If we're going to continue the Iraq war, I'm all for a draft. Bush's war is wearing down our volunteer army and national guard who have to do multiple tours there - its only fair we share the burden. Hell, if they raise the conscription age high enough, I'll report to the draft board myself.

And I certainly think chickenhawks who spent years cheerleading a war they got us into, deserve at least one tour of foot patrol duty in Fallujah.

Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look

Friday August 10, 2007 11:31 PM
By RICHARD LARDNER

WASHINGTON (AP) - Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

``I think it makes sense to certainly consider it,'' Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's ``All Things Considered.''

``And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another,'' Lute added in his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

President Nixon abolished the draft in 1973. Restoring it, Lute said, would be a ``major policy shift'' and Bush has made it clear that he doesn't think it's necessary.

The repeated deployments affect not only the troops but their families, who can influence whether a service member decides to stay in the military, Lute said.

``There's both a personal dimension of this, where this kind of stress plays out across dinner tables and in living room conversations within these families,'' he said. ``And ultimately, the health of the all-volunteer force is going to rest on those sorts of personal family decisions.''

continued

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6841959,00.html

If we're going to continue the Iraq war, I'm all for a draft. Bush's war is wearing down our volunteer army and national guard who have to do multiple tours there - its only fair we share the burden. Hell, if they raise the conscription age high enough, I'll report to the draft board myself.

And I certainly think chickenhawks who spent years cheerleading a war they got us into, deserve at least one tour of foot patrol duty in Fallujah.

Why on earth would you do that?

Out of curiosity, is it still a requirement for young men turning eighteen to register with the Selective Service? I remember having to do it, but haven't given much thought for over twenty years now.

Wow--mighty brave of ya to obey the law like that !! You're a good man !

you asked a stupid question.

What I want to know is: why all the chickenhawks aren't signing up? Why the Bush twins haven't enlisted.... Why haven't the Romney boys visited the recruiter?

My guess is: Jenna Bush being blown up by an IED... a couple of Romney boys getting slaughtered in a fire fight.... the GOP would have a different attitude about Iraq mighty fucking quick.

you asked a stupid question.

What I want to know is: why all the chickenhawks aren't signing up? Why the Bush twins haven't enlisted.... Why haven't the Romney boys visited the recruiter?

My guess is: Jenna Bush being blown up by an IED... a couple of Romney boys getting slaughtered in a fire fight.... the GOP would have a different attitude about Iraq mighty fucking quick.

sorry--should have phrased is differently---Why would you be for the draft ?

How was that MM? Better ?

much better.

that question is NOT stupid at all...and deserves a thoughtful answer.

I would be for a draft because our all volunteer force is, I believe, on the verge of a catastrophic collapse. I think that the continued stress of deployments to Iraq will begin to take their toll on reenlistments even though they have not so far. The first term enlistments are already suffering and the military is being forced to waive many of its standards just to get fresh cannon fodder into the system.

God help us if we have to open up a second front against any enemy for any reason.

And less thougtful and more spiteful - but still with an element of truth in it is my belief that the republican party's support for this war would dry up in a hurry if some of their children of privilege would be drafted and start spilling their blood in Iraq.

And less thougtful and more spiteful - but still with an element of truth in it is my belief that the republican party's support for this war would dry up in a hurry if some of their children of privilege would be drafted and start spilling their blood in Iraq.

Do you want them to spill their blood, or do you just want them to serve?

much better.

that question is NOT stupid at all...and deserves a thoughtful answer.

I would be for a draft because our all volunteer force is, I believe, on the verge of a catastrophic collapse. I think that the continued stress of deployments to Iraq will begin to take their toll on reenlistments even though they have not so far. The first term enlistments are already suffering and the military is being forced to waive many of its standards just to get fresh cannon fodder into the system.

God help us if we have to open up a second front against any enemy for any reason.

Agreed---our troops have been through a lot of shit and maintained some pretty damn high morale. They've performed admirably with very little recognition. We would never get this kind of dedication or loyalty with draftees.

OH--and it's my belief that expecting any member of any branch of our government to practice everything that they preach is silly---you're right--it IS less thoughtful. I can see the whole Kennedy family out there building solar panels.

As of May 2007:

Senator Tim Johnson (D- South Dakota)
(son, Brooks, Served in Iraq and Afghanistan Wars and now works as an Army recruiter. )

Former Senator & Attorney General John Ashcroft (R- MO)
(son, Andy, is in the Navy and has served in the Gulf in support of the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars.)

Senator Christopher Bond (R - Missouri)
(son, Sam, is in the U.S. Marines and is currently serving in IRAQ.)

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-California)
(son, Duane, is a U.S. Marine and Served in IRAQ)

Rep. Joe Wilson (R-South Carolina)
(Three sons in military:
Alan is a captain in the Army National Guard served in IRAQ,

Addison is serving in the Navy,

Julian is in the Army National Guard)

Senator elect James Webb (D- WV)
(Son is a U.S. Marine and serving in Iraq.)

Senator John McCain (R- AZ)
(Son is a U.S. Marine serving in Iraq War.)
John McCain's support of the troops Surge has actually sent his own son to Baghdad.

Rep. John Kline, (R-Minn)
(son, Dan, is a Black Hawk Helicopter pilot in the 101st Airborne and serving in IRAQ)

Senator Joseph Biden (D- Delaware)
( has a son who is a Lawyer and a First Lieutenant in the Delaware Army National Guard.)

Rep. Jim Saxton (D- NJ)
(nephew, a Marine rifleman, served in Iraq.)

Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (R-Colorado)
(son, John, serving in the Navy and sent to Iraq)

Rep. Ike Skelton (R-Missouri)
(has a son serving in Army serving in Iraq)

Rep. Todd Akin (R-Missouri)
(has a son, Perry, in the Marine Corps who is a combat engineer serving in Iraq.)

I want the war to stop. I don't want any more American blood to be spilled.

Then FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET THE MOTHER-FUCKERS TO LEAVE AMERICANS ALONE !!!!! Have you heard bin laden make any peace gestures recently? Is there some damn deal on the table that we aren't taking? Think !

Then FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET THE MOTHER-FUCKERS TO LEAVE AMERICANS ALONE !!!!! Have you heard bin laden make any peace gestures recently? Is there some damn deal on the table that we aren't taking? Think !

Iraqis weren't attacking americans until you invaded their country.

Iraq was not aiding, or harboring al qaeda, until you invaded iraq.

Saddam considered islamic extremists to be a threat to his own regime, before you invaded.

The people who attacked us are primarily in afghanistan and pakistan. Not in the country you invaded: Iraq.

sorry--should have phrased is differently---Why would you be for the draft ?

That too was answered in my very first post. I'm not going to repeat myself. In short, its an issue of fairness and sustainability, IF we choose to continue to fight Bush's war.

no...YOU think.

fighting in Iraq because bin Laden attacked us makes as much sense as fighting in Peru for the same reason.

or are they all just brown skinned ragheads and therefore our enemies to you?

Iraqis weren't attacking americans until you invaded their country.

Iraq was not aiding, or harboring al qaeda, until you invaded iraq.

Saddam considered islamic extremists to be a threat to his own regime, before you invaded.

The people who attacked us are primarily in afghanistan and pakistan. Not in the country you invaded: Iraq.

Now that everyone has figured that out, what next? Has the al qaeda ambassador called recently ?

Forum List

Back