America's National Electrical Power Grid System, Still dangerously out dated.!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by 52ndStreet, Feb 7, 2009.

1. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    We all realize the technological prowess of the United States of America. We are still
    the only country in the world, that has planned, developed, and constructed machinery,that
    landed men on the surface of another celestial body.The Moon.

Given this technological advantage, you would think that America's national power grid,would
    be the most modern up to date power grid in the world, monitored by state of the art technology. It is not. In fact America's power grid is functioning with 1970's technology!.
    The current electrical power demand, and usage, that America requires today has quadrupled, from the era of the 1970's
    There are hundreds of million more appliances and computers in use now, than at any other time in American history.

The current system will not withstand any sustained power demands, at current power consumption levels, for the future.

The power grid system we now have in place, is vulnerable to lightening strikes, that can
    trigger a major blackout in a major region of the country.

This Power grid modernization will cost billions of dollars. But it must be done.
    And it must be done sooner than latter.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    And exactly what would be your proposal to update it?

3. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Well my proposal would be a state of the art artificial intelligence monitoring system that can
    adjust power to where it is needed, and circuit break power to prevent a blackout before it
    happens. We have the software, and computers, to implement such a system.It is just very expensive.

4. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Are you an electrical engineer?

5. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    So then donate your whole paycheck to it. Seems to work just fine to me, so leave my check alone.

6. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    There must be a National Tax to update the current SCATA system.To a state of the art,
    Artificial intelligence system that would eliminate the possibility of human error for America's
    National power grid.We all have to contribute, because we all use electricity.

7. 52ndStreet

52ndStreet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +170
    No, but I have read enough about our national power grid to know that it needs to be updated and modernized.

Do you know anything about the national power grid?.

8. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    No doubt it does need an upgrade. I do think though people on a whole are about taxed out. How about just add that to the cigerette tax. Heck everything else has been.

Here is real the deal. Most people are fed up with the big boys taking it out on their dime and not their own dime to cover these expenses. Electrical power is big business not a national debt.

I'd personally would rather see people become more energy independant.

9. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Meh, I pay for it beyond taxes, if they can't do it with the "environut" inflated rate then we need to find new people to run the power company.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,318
    52nd, while I agree with you that the grid needs to be totally replaced with a distributed grid that woud pick up power from a citizens 5 kw of solar as well as an energy companies multi-gw nuke plant, the idea of having the whole thing controlled by one computer is a recipe for disaster. There should be multi-regional controllers with 24-7 human oversight. I have delt whith computers controling industrial machinery for 30 years now, and you would not believe some of the things I have seen go wrong, or the reasons that the computers went wrong.