America's 'detainee 001' – the persecution of John Walker Lindh

John's decision to volunteer for the army of Afghanistan under the control of the Taliban was rash,

Innocent my azz.

I read the story. I find it very hard to believe that he was that naive. Guilty by association in my book.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
Frank Lindh, father of 'American Taliban' John Walker Lindh, explains why his son is an innocent victim of America's 'war on terror'

America's 'detainee 001'

Conservatives do not actually have a problem with American citizens joining other countries’ military. A particularly interesting story was told to me at a conference for editors of conservative college newspapers last November, shortly before the Lindh story came out. In the 80s, a few writers for a Yale conservative paper went to Afghanistan for a summer to fight with the anticommunist "freedom fighters" who of course are now our archenemies. They dressed themselves in Arab garb, got all swarthied up, and carried rifles just like John Walker. All of the conservative students thought they were heroes, yet I guarantee the same people would be happy to have Lindh executed. No one really cares if someone joins a foreign army, even if it belongs to a particularly nasty regime. Lindh’s only sin was that after joining up with the Taliban, they became what Gore Vidal calls our "enemy of the month."

He took up arms against his nation.

Screw him.

The Pushover

Lindh pleaded guilty because he understands the system; real terrorists won't because they don't.

Had the government believed that Lindh committed the serious crimes listed in the indictment—including conspiracy to kill Americans abroad and consorting with al-Qaida—the case would never have been settled. The case was settled because the government knew Lindh was principally a misguided kid swept up by forces he didn't understand and not a determined suicide bomber spearheading attacks on innocent Americans.

Jihad Johnnie Lindh's father ....explains? Why isn't he apologizing to the Country and especially the families of the victims of 9-11?

Probably because he wasn't involved. He joined the Taliban, not Al Qaeda. If that was such a crime, why are conservatives telling Obama to abandon Afghanistan and leave it to the Taliban?

Lindh should have been shot on the spot when found in Afghanistan. Pure and simple. No arrest. No trial. Simply summary execution for Treason.

There's a strong argument that he was actually al Qaida. But only the spooks and interrogators know for sure. Either way, he's a traitor. He had plenty of opportunities to do the right thing.

I support his right to be released in general public with the other prisoners. :razz:

Forum List

Back